Joe Abercrombie: SPOILER THREAD for all of the First Law books

MisterOJ

OK, I'm convinced. Bayaz is Neutral Good. He wants what's best for everyone and only he's qualified to say what that looks like. Tough choices have to be made, some of the ants have to be squished, but basically he's after the greater good, and wants to protect the little children from their own stupidity.

You want lawful evil? Gandalf, ladies and gentlemen. A fascistic reactionary hell bent on genocide and utterly convinced of the rightness of his cause.

But Saruman was a real leader. A visionary, if you will.

Am I right, Joe?

:P

OK, I'm convinced. Bayaz is Neutral Good. He wants what's best for everyone and only he's qualified to say what that looks like. Tough choices have to be made, some of the ants have to be squished, but basically he's after the greater good, and wants to protect the little children from their own stupidity.

You want lawful evil? Gandalf, ladies and gentlemen. A fascistic reactionary hell bent on genocide and utterly convinced of the rightness of his cause.

I'm relieveed that you can finally see the truth and when he finishes The Winds of Winter everybody else will follow along too.

Yeah, never liked Gandalf very much. The name sounds kinda German, don't you think? Gandalf -> Adolf. Guess he was a nazi trying to push the hobbit race.

JOE ABERCROMBIE HAS WRITTEN A NEW GOSPEL IN LETTERS OF FLAME ACROSS THE SABLE NIGHT SKY. HIS MATCHLESS INTELLECT, FINE DRESS SENSE, AND ATTRACTIVE FACIAL FEATURES ARE MOST EXCELLENT.

More or less. Maybe accredit the quote Obama or Kim Jong Un.

Do people approach you to do those type of quotes?

You get Lawful gods, who presumably set the laws of their planes of existence. But they also generally stick to them.

I'd say that only works if A, by following those self-imposed laws said gods were actually not necessarily furthering their aims, and B, if they never changed the laws to suit their ends. Ie, if in their perception their own laws were above them. And that type of character doesn't seem the sort to be evil. I don't think Bayaz can count because he is willing to change the laws he sets to further his own aims.

For example, from the web serial 'Worm', the character of Marquis would count to me as Lawful Evil. He is a villian, and he does bad things; but he has a strict code of conduct and honor which doesn't serve his own ends, and he adheres to these rules (no harming of women or children) even when his aims would be made far easier by ignoring them.

I don't think these classifications really help, though. We all agree Bayaz is a massive dick, and however we classify him doesn't change his character or our percpetion of him to any great degree. I don't really think most complex characters can be defined in these ways anyway. Some can (such as Marquis), but in general, if a well written character falls into one of these specific classifications, I believe it is by accident. Most complex characters do not fall into such simple categories easily.

I think you should use this and accredit it to Not Joe Abercrombie.

Bullshit, I will credit it to Joe Abercrombie. What more authoritative, respected, and trustworthy source could there be?

I mean, if you can't use your towering literary reputation to blurb your own books, what's the point of having one?

JOE ABERCROMBIE HAS WRITTEN A NEW GOSPEL IN LETTERS OF FLAME ACROSS THE SABLE NIGHT SKY. HIS MATCHLESS INTELLECT, FINE DRESS SENSE, AND ATTRACTIVE FACIAL FEATURES ARE MOST EXCELLENT.

I think I may have to get you to write this down at the next signing. I'm assuming you'll be doing some in the Bristol/Bath area when this gospel is released to the masses?

I think I may have to get you to write this down at the next signing. I'm assuming you'll be doing some in the Bristol/Bath area when this gospel is released to the masses?

I may be able to drag myself as far as a bookstore in Bath on behalf of the little people...

But seriously, I'll probably be signing all round the UK, and some US events too, hopefully. Certainly San Diego Comic Con, but LA, San Francisco, Seattle and Denver have also been mentioned as possibilities. Can't say for sure yet.

I may be able to drag myself as far as a bookstore in Bath on behalf of the little people...

But seriously, I'll probably be signing all round the UK, and some US events too, hopefully. Certainly San Diego Comic Con, but LA, San Francisco, Seattle and Denver have also been mentioned as possibilities. Can't say for sure yet.

The little people may be able to drag themselves to Bath just so it's not a wasted effort for you.

You need to get a tour T-shirt called "half the world tour" :P

So you won't be visiting Grainger County, TN? We've got some fucking delicious tomatoes. And cows, tons of cows. You know, if you're into that sort of thing.

Archived