What we're reading in July 2006

Calibandar

Trying to get through a lot of Agatha Christie mystery novels so that I can claim to have read every single one of her novels. (I've read like 65 out of the 80 or so she's written).

I just re-started Speaks the Night Bird by Robert McCammon. I started it sometime last year, but it didn't grab me, then I think I put it aside when AFFC came out. It's not a very long book, so hopefully I'll be able to breeze through it and move on to something else. :)

The first story I read made me cry. That's a lot more reaction than I give most things. I think Ford is probably the best mostly-unknown writer in fantasy, and Empire seems, at first glance, to be as good a collection as The Fantasy Writer's Assistant.

Hmmmmmmmm...I'd certainly call that a positive endoresment! Thank you, as always.

Neuromancer--it's great

Also, as i'm in a medieval romance seminar, i've read Mabinogion and the Lais of Marie de france

currently reading Arthurian Tales by Chretien de Troyes. Some are more readable than others, but there is a lot of insight into modern fantasy motifs.

I just finished Neuromancer bu William Gibson. I can see why its earned all the praise, and I can recognize the brilliance of it, but it wasnt really my cup of tea.

a more complete review on my blog

Just started Lamb: The Gospel of Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore. I'm 2 chapters is and its fricking funny as hell. I love it already. Its had me laughing out load several times so far.

Finished The Sling and The Stone a day or so ago, which was amazing! I especially loved his chapters on guerrilla warfare as it evolved from Mao up to the Sandanista refinement. I recc it to anyone interested in the evolution of guerrilla warfare. I'm now re-reading Mao's book, On Guerrilla Warfare, though I'm looking forward to getting a hold of The Blood Knight.

We have been working our way through most of Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan books.

I withdraw the negative comments I made a year or so ago after only having read Komarr, as it was easily the worst of the series. I now think the series a fun read, but got bored with it before long. OTOH Mrs W considered them "almost perfect light entertainment". She laughed so much reading a certain chapter in A Civil Campaign that I had to move to another room.

So I agree with the idea that there is a readership gender gap with these books. After all, what real man would ask his mother for advice on how the get the woman he wants?

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. Thoroughly enjoying it.

Next up:

The Glasshouse by Charles Stross

Garden of the Moon by Steven Erikson (I had to do it, on general principles, after reading all the GRRM vs. Erikson vs. Bakker strife. I'll probably read this and Deadhouse Gates, then make the decision to continue based on those.)

I'm a few chapters into Deadhouse Gates at the moment. Erikson has some arguable weaknesses as a writer, but thus far, they haven't really bothered me too much. It's pretty obvious the lack of backstory thus far into the series is intentional, and it kind of makes sense since most of the characters are just as confused as to what's really going on as the readers are.

I was thrilled to learn that Altered Carbon is now available in a MMPB. Stego has pimped that one to me so many times I bought it the second I saw it. Halfway through it and I can see why.

It is a gritty detective story set mostly in future San Francisco. Evokes Chandler.

Got a pile of books to dig through during our vacation, and so far I've managed to read (and briefly review) Oracle's Queen, Melusine, Children of the Serpent Gate and Petty Treason.

In the works is The Lies of Locke Lamora (not taken with it so far, but sticking with it) and upcoming are First Heroes, His Majesty's Dragon (aka Temeraire), Firethorn and a few more, including some anthologies.

Then, Lies of Locke Lamora. well. Err. embarassing to admit almost that I was not as entthralled as everyone else appears to be. Pleasant enough romp suffering from not enough dry humour, IMO. This type of book, which does not pertain to be genre shaking, or tragedic, or particularly plot driven, needs stronger dialogue and a heavier dose of wit than it delivered. I'll leave it there as I am thinking on doing a longer review for the main thread. Not a bad book, just not quite as good as I had hoped.

Now : Peter Hamilton and Judas Unchained. I thought I'd read the first installment, Pandora's Star, when in actual fact I'd read Mind Star Rising. Doh. Cue hopeless confusion.Struggling gamely along anyway as I feel like I need some hardcore Sci-fi after so much fantasy. Am liking a ot despite being lost.

Woah. Reading Judas Unchained without reading the first part? :o Hardcore! That's like opening A Game of Thrones on page 350 and just starting there. That takes reading balls!

Still on The Warrior-Prophet. Huge battles, which are cool (reminiscent of some Rome: Total War games I've played though) and some nice intrigues building-up. Think I may have just caught a huge plot twist of GRRM proportions though. Interesting to see if I'm right.

Oh, and The Lies of Locke Lamora is currently going to top of my list as best original novel I've read this year (best re-read award is going to The Prestige).

I've started reading the Dark Tower series for the first time, and just finished Wizard and Glass. I enjoyed it, but it tended to drag on a bit more than other volumes, particularly in the middle.

SPOILER: DarkTower
Susan's death near the end loses a bit of impact simply because it's fairly obvious that she's going to die unpleasantly from very early in the novel. It was suitably gut-wrenching, but I didn't think it was nearly as bad as death scenes in other books, the Red Wedding, for example.

I've just got Forest Mage by Robin Hobb and Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey, so I'll be reading them first. I've also still got In The Eye of Heaven to read, even though I've had it about two months.

Archived