Shannara TV series in development at MTV with IRON MAN director

Werthead

I know I read that entire serise back in 7th grade. God help me if I can remmeber any specific details of the plot.

It was pretty much episodic as I recall. Each book dealt with a different plot with a new generation of characters. The only unifying elements were the world it was set in and the family it centered around.

It was pretty much episodic as I recall. Each book dealt with a different plot with a new generation of characters. The only unifying elements were the world it was set in and the family it centered around.

The first trilogy was episodic, the Heritage of Shannara series was a linked quadrilogy.

I love me some Shannara, although it has been years since I've read it. I almost bought a big hardback of the original trilogy the other day, but it seemed unwieldy and I rarely read physical books anymore. Elfstones was one of my favorites. I don't know that I've ever cried more while reading a book. I remember my mother being very concerned. I'll definitely tune in even if I am as skeptical of MTV as everyone else.

If you remember LotR you remember *The Sword of* Shannara, absolutely; that's fair. Just replace Gollum with an incredibly bummed out gnome, turn Frodo into a passive half-elf kid minus the ptsd at the end and the ring into a sword that is not inherently evil, and include even fewer women, and voila, pretty much. [This is glib, but the two stories are frighteningly close in many respects.] After Sword, though, I think it's only fair to acknowledge that Brooks' series begins to distinguish itself a little more. The quality is subjective and debatable, but it's not cribbing from LotR beyond the degree to which much of the secondary world fantasy written for the commercial market in the wake of Tolkien's advent in the States in 1965 has responded to LotR in one way or another.

I read The Sword of Shannarah at the age of 8 years old, and it changed my life. The same year, I read Lord of the Rings the first time, and I actually remember thinking that this guy Tolkien really borrowed from Terry Brooks. Regardless of the similarities, Brooks made fantasy accessible to me, and I will never forget his contribution to my life. I am kind of sad that they will not be adapting Sword as the ending of that book was to this day one of my favorite scenes in any series.

I read them starting in high school, and throughout college (ugh, I'm old). I stopped with the High Druid of Shannara...at that point, I just lost interest in it and that was that.

I've never read any of the Shannara books. I always talk myself out of it every time I consider it. :dunno:

I read all the books through the Voyage of the Jerle Shannara trilogy about 10-12 years ago, prior to reading ASOIAF.

They weren't bad in the sense that Goodkind is bad; at worst they were bland and repetitive. Some of the storylines and settings were pretty neat, but characterization and depth was practically nil. Elfstones was definitely the best one I read.

How are they gonna make this a series is my question? They are gonna have to go off into the uncharted wilderness of making tons of shit up to make it work.

Cause Elfstones is both self-contained and epic enough that you can't then follow it up with something everyday.

How are they gonna make this a series is my question? They are gonna have to go off into the uncharted wilderness of making tons of shit up to make it work.

Cause Elfstones is both self-contained and epic enough that you can't then follow it up with something everyday.

Right...One season of the series should be plenty enough to cover that book. Then do they go generational with a new cast for the next book(s)? At some point they could get away with using the same characters for multiple seasons but Elfstones is in fact self contained.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Everyone loves Elfstones but, for me the Heritage of Shannara and the Voyage of the Jerle Shannara are the bestbooks. Regardless I'm happy these are being made, but like most of you I'm skeptical about MTV's ability to make a halfway decent TV show much less a halfway decent fantasy TV show.

Although I have never even heard of these books ( they sound interesting though) ... I'm more curious as to whether MTV has the ability to produce good TV ... Will this be just another "Syfy" kind of show awfulness or can they change their brand?

They really seem to be trying at the moment (not sure if "ascension" is any good?) to change their brand. My kneejerk and ignorant reaction to Shannara is "traditional fantasy" so not too excited. Then again I've never read them so maybe it's ripe for TV interpretation. It doesn't have me thinking GOT companion rather "Hercules/Xena". Manu Bennet being involved is good news though.

Surprised at how many people have either not read these books or have a negative impression. Shannara and Xanth are the two series that taught me to head straight for the SF/Fantasy section of the bookstore. :) I'll grant that neither series is spectacular but Shannara was always an interesting read for me. Maybe I'm not as evolved as some people... BTW - Word and Void is solid, definitely worth a read.

Regarding the series, I recall there was a lot of talk about a feature film based on Elfstones years ago but it was shelved. I suspect the success of GOT will open the door for more adaptations. I'm looking forward to it. Maybe they can expand the politics of Arbolon and the Ellesidil family to make that part of the story more interesting.

Archived