Shannara TV series in development at MTV with IRON MAN director

Werthead

They're just now filming? Surprised. I guess I figured it would be out this spring sometime or canceled.

I didn't necessarily overly enjoy season 1, but I would still like to see season 2 be good.

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, Rhom said:

Spike used to be something else, what was it?

It used to be TNN --the Nashville Network-- 

I'm kind of excited for the change to Paramount... Spike didn't anything I ever watched... hopefully they'll step-up their game and join the ranks of AMC, FX, or USA

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to watching this.

I was actually pleasantly surprised, if only because I went in with zero expectations. I'm familiar with the source material (I read the Shannara trilogy, as it was then, and then the Heritage of Shannara tetralogy in my teens), and it's candyfloss at absolute best. The TV adaptation not only got a good deal more creative than the book (via putting the post-apocalyptic thing front and centre), it also steers clear of the book's unfortunate implications (Brooks' Rovers are fantasy gypsy stereotypes, with all the darker implications, whereas the TV Rovers are escapees from Mad Max). The visuals were spectacular too.

For all the weakness of the dialogue, and the emphasis on female-orientated fanservice, I'd sooner sit through the Shannara season than Peter Jackson's Hobbit movies.

• 2 weeks later...

I never read beyond the original trilogy and the Scions quadrology. Can anyone better versed in the rest of the series (sequels and prequels) see anything familiar in this storyline or is is it all new?

18 hours ago, Myrddin said:

I never read beyond the original trilogy and the Scions quadrology. Can anyone better versed in the rest of the series (sequels and prequels) see anything familiar in this storyline or is is it all new?

I mean--you go Elfstones to Wishsong, right? This new summary I read (about Wil searching for Eretria and she's learning about her past and this is taking place a year later) seems to be fan fiction or something. Wishsong, as bad and fun as it was, took place a generation later.

I'd have liked a good adaptation of these stories, but maybe they're not good enough to have "good" adaptations? 

Edit: Not trying to be sarcastic or snarky with you, by the way, (after rereading my post); I'm just annoyed by the quality and direction of this show.

18 hours ago, Myrddin said:

The sword is obviously from the first book, and I wouldn't be surprised if they incorporated other elements from that story, though I don't know it well enough to recognise anything else from that trailer.

24 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

I'd have liked a good adaptation of these stories, but maybe they're not good enough to have "good" adaptations?

I'd rather see a good adaptation of the Landover series. The Shannara books aren't easy to adapt faithfully (the time jumps and new set of main characters in each book), and no, I don't think they're all that great to start with, though it has been a while since I read them (just the first three).

8 hours ago, felice said:

The sword is obviously from the first book, and I wouldn't be surprised if they incorporated other elements from that story, though I don't know it well enough to recognise anything else from that trailer.

I'd rather see a good adaptation of the Landover series. The Shannara books aren't easy to adapt faithfully (the time jumps and new set of main characters in each book), and no, I don't think they're all that great to start with, though it has been a while since I read them (just the first three).

They were fun when I was in middle school--but largely ARE LOTRs rip offs. All of them. Haha. I suppose some shows have been successful with new characters and different generations each season. I won't name them as they are still on the air and that could be considered spoiler-y aside from True Detective's botched attempt at it.

Either way, there was always something kind of fun about Brooks' Shannara. The Suicide Squad of Wishsong always seemed particularly fun when I was a kid.

Landover was harder for me to get into until the second or third book. I loved the witch and the dragon. Those stories could actually be kind of fun. I haven't read them in decades.

Man, that son'g just keeps popping up everywhere in trailers for stuff.

I'll watch it, but only because of Manu Bennett. I only read half of the very first book until I couldn't handle the whole cloning of LOTR schtick. But then I was in my 30s when I decided to give it a try and I'd already read LOTR twice. I feel like these books are for a younger audience not quite ready to dive into LOTR.

1 hour ago, RedEyedGhost said:

At least they're using it for a show about elves in this, right? ...

Hey man! Elves are human too. Don't want no talk of knife ears not being real people creeping into this thread.

On 8/26/2017 at 2:50 AM, Simon Steele said:

I mean--you go Elfstones to Wishsong, right? This new summary I read (about Wil searching for Eretria and she's learning about her past and this is taking place a year later) seems to be fan fiction or something. Wishsong, as bad and fun as it was, took place a generation later.

Edit: Not trying to be sarcastic or snarky with you, by the way, (after rereading my post); I'm just annoyed by the quality and direction of this show.

Right? :) I get that they didn't want to recast a new generation, but I was curious if they were mining stories from other books to fill the gaps between Elfstones and Wishsong.

On 8/26/2017 at 3:22 AM, felice said:

I guess they could just retread most of Sword if they wanted... Flick is now his uncle, so I guess he can tell him a truncated version and let this show play out the journey set pieces, such as they are. Though I remember liking the trip through the gnome valley (back when the gnomes were bad guys). 

3 hours ago, Myrddin said:

I guess they could just retread most of Sword if they wanted... Flick is now his uncle, so I guess he can tell him a truncated version and let this show play out the journey set pieces, such as they are. Though I remember liking the trip through the gnome valley (back when the gnomes were bad guys). 

Flick died season one though.

• 1 month later...
On 8/28/2017 at 3:37 PM, Myrddin said:

LOL

Shows you how much I was paying attention....

Second two premiered last night.  Um..  Flick's apparently still alive.  I swore I remember him dying ...  wasn't there a graveside funeral?

Edit:  okay!  The show wiki says it was his mother who died.  Yeah, I wasn't paying attention much either.

19 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

The evil henchmen with the black smoke trailing behind them was so Harry Potter.

And the man through the snowy mountains was so Lord of the Rings. 

You know, if you look for all the parallels with the other things, it can get superfun :D 

Archived