Shannara TV series in development at MTV with IRON MAN director

Werthead

Hilarious review on IMDB from a.... well, you'll see:

:lol: Ok, but I do agree with this sentence if taken in a different context. There is no "great lesson" here. It's release of tension.

Like everyone has said, this is bad enough to be fun to watch.

I liked the first two episodes. The show certainly is beautiful, the story is okay and the acting is, I guess, average (for a MTV show) ? John Rhys-Davies is good and Manu "Crixus" Bennett is the best thing along the visuals. Really, he could be the only character of the show and I wouldn't mind watching it. The acting from most of the young actors is mediocre but at least the characters are somewhat likeable so it's not as bad as say Lori from The Walking Dead.

Didn't know episodes 3-4 were out there so probably gonna watch it tonight or tomorrow.

It's target audience is Young Adult - very Young Adult... actually, sod that, it's out-and-out adolescent.

As such, it's not for me, but the Mrs, my nieces and the rest of the twilight crowd will absolutely adore this.

The visuals were pretty stunning, though the budget obviously doesn't stretch to towns and cities, but hey.

Everyone looks un-realistically perfect, the girls are both princesses and the boy's a hidden prince. There is no subtlety, there is only good, and evil.

This is firmly aimed at those who haven't quite outgrown Disney yet - it's for the Sansa.s of this world, not those on this forum looking for shades of grey.

As such, I think it does a great job; whilst not being as offensive as something like Twilight became, or Mortal Instruments started. I'm happy to be in the room whilst this is on. In tone, that sounds pretty faithful to the book IIRC - loved them when I was 10-16, had grown out of them around 18-19, wouldn't dream of reading one now and killing those childhood memories.

ETA: Oh yes, and god to see Littlefinger's magic horse landing a new role.

I have to ask, since I haven't read the books, but did Terry Brooks really right the elves like this? Slap some pointy ears on a bunch of guys, and they're elves. Besides John Rhys-Davies, the rest are just below sparkly vampires. Or is this just MTV doing it?

150%. Elves in Shannara are essentially a mutated race of humans (as are the dwarves and all the other nonhuman races, basically).

Well, four episodes in, the quality is rising. The actors are good actually but I'm still having a hard time getting past all their "Apollons and Aphrodites" looks and vibes... too much is too much sometimes, which is sad, cause although way too "basically handsome and sexy", the actors are really not bad. I'm really starting to appreciate the acting of the lead one (Wil).

Anyway, I had the same problem with The 100 at first and get beyond it, so hopefully the same effect will happen here.

150%. Elves in Shannara are essentially a mutated race of humans (as are the dwarves and all the other nonhuman races, basically).

Are they? I was under the impression that the Elves somehow came out of hiding when the Apes took over? And that only dwarves, trolls and gnomes mutated out of common human stock? :) 

Are they? I was under the impression that the Elves somehow came out of hiding when the Apes took over? And that only dwarves, trolls and gnomes mutated out of common human stock? :) 

Could be that they are a mutated race in the TV show but in the book series I believe the Elves had always been there since the time of Fairie and they were essentially hiding in the woods of Oregon. The other races were mutations due to nuclear fall out. Its been a while but the backstory is covered in The Genesis of Shannara series.

Could be that they are a mutated race in the TV show but in the book series I believe the Elves had always been there since the time of Fairie and they were essentially hiding in the woods of Oregon. The other races were mutations due to nuclear fall out. Its been a while but the backstory is covered in The Genesis of Shannara series.

Ah yes, now I know why I remembered this little tidbit. It just seems like the most (pardon my language) retarded origin story for the elves anyone could come up with :P 

:agree:Spartacus is one of the most underrated series out there imo. And he was the best thing about it. Shannara might make him more famous, seeing how from the start it is clear that he's the best character they have. And you know more people are going to see this, because it doesn't have nudity or gore in it ;)

I think you'll really like the ending of episode two and the beginning of episode three ;) 

This. One of my pet peeves is people dismissing it as 'blood and boobs'. What rubbish. It's so much more than that.

I'm going to watch this tonight and shall report back! 

Finally got around to episode four. I'm hooked. Really bummed out that I have to wait until the 26th for a new episode :P It's already working better for me than what little I read of Brooks' output. The only character that I don't particularly care for right now is Ethiopia :P 

I was also pretty surprised about how open MTV is playing this ménage-à-trois in the making. I assumed this was going the old Twilight route with excruciatingly long stairs and overdrawn monologues about how everyone loved each other, but couldn't be together and bla bla, but boy I was wrong. Episode four and Will already scored :P One of the girls will probably end up dead by the end of the series, if Will really walks away with the two of them I'd have to give mad to respect MTV  :P 

I'm getting a big sense of wishfullfilment in the Will character. I don't know if it differs much from Brooks work in that regard, but in the series it's almost reaching Rand al-thor levels. I can dig it though, the actor is likeable and the dialogue is always bad enough to divert my attention.

In fact the only thing I missed in episode four was Uncle Incest. I want mandatory creepy vibes from that guy in every episode. He was barely in this one. 

Oh, I just figured out the obvious.  Since they haven't cast a Stee Jans character, they must be giving all the bad-assery to Allanon.  Now Manu Bennett makes sense as the only possible casting choice for the Undefeated Druid.

Watched the first two episodes and enjoyed it.  It's not great, but not awful either.  It's at least better than Sparticus, which I went in hoping for greatness and was sorely disappointed.  With my expectations fully lowered though, it's definitely watchable.  

Oh, I just figured out the obvious.  Since they haven't cast a Stee Jans character, they must be giving all the bad-assery to Allanon.  Now Manu Bennett makes sense as the only possible casting choice for the Undefeated Druid.

It's been so long since I read the books, I forgot all about Jans.

According to the wiki entry, there are "rumors" that he changed his identity to Garret Jax? Is this really a theory?

It's been so long since I read the books, I forgot all about Jans.

According to the wiki entry, there are "rumors" that he changed his identity to Garret Jax? Is this really a theory?

I haven't read many of the other books or follow its fan theories, but as far as I know it's just fan-wankery. 

Archived