Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D - Hope springs eternal, we're all Tantalus here

Sci-2

I like this show ok. Not enough to bother defending it against the very valid criticisms but it's entertaining enough. To me it feels exactly in line with the Marvel movies in terms of theme and aesthetics and story. Maybe it's just a case of that not being fit for a weekly episodic tv series? Or maybe it's just that the shine is off now (though it didnt hurt thor 2 at all so that seems unlikely) It elicits the same response in me as the movies too. Enjoyable enough with some good moments, some boring moments and same bad moments, and ultimately largely forgettable once it's over.

Which is exactly how I feel about Sleepy Hollow a show that everyone raves about and where every extremely stupid plothole is waved away by "ITS FUN!!!!"

Which is exactly how I feel about Sleepy Hollow a show that everyone raves about and where every extremely stupid plothole is waved away by "ITS FUN!!!!"

That's the thing with entertainment: you can get away with a lot if people are having fun. Not delivering on the fun factor (contrary to most of the movies) is SHIELD's biggest crime.

CALL FOR QUESTIONS: Interview the "Agents of SHIELD" Showrunners!

The first season of "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." has certainly been successful in drawing a reaction from fans. CBR News will be speaking with the show's executive producers Maurissa Tancharoen and Jed Whedon shortly before new episodes start again on Tuesday, Jan. 7 on ABC, but it won't be a typical interview -- it'll be fueled by your questions.

I don't know if this is a good or bad thing, but I think Raina might be my favorite character on the show. I'm growing weary of the Coulson arc. I don't think they've done a good enough job establishing intrigue with his resurrection to string it along as much as they have. I want to know what happened to him, not because I'm dying to know what happened to him, but because I'm tired of dealing with it.

Oh, the stupid. Despite mobilising unprecedented resources just to get one agent back (Why?! Gives us a reason, show, not "Coulson is worth the effort" when you've never shown us that he's exceptional!) apparently that doesn't include a single computer expert/forensic accountant who can do the most obvious fucking thing in the world and follow the fucking money. And Skye can not only just walk out of whatever SHIELD base they were parked at but avoid capture afterwards despite the fact that she has a fucking tracking device on her wrist? A device that is supposed to keep her from using electronic devices but can be circumvented by typing one-handed? Also handy that the security guard stepped up way too closely to her so she could use the one self defense move she knows.

And why the fuck does nobody on this team ever use a fucking gun themselves when walking into situations where they expect to face off against Centipede's super soldiers? People like Ward and May aren't Batman, with a strict code against killing, they signed up for this ruthless international spy organisation knowing full well what they were getting into. This is the organisation that was prepared to nuke Manhattan for fuck's sake.

And we still don't have the Coulson reveal? I mean, "we used experimental and unpleasant medical procedures to bring you back and masked the memories" is not a dire secret "he can never know", there has to be more to it than that, right?

Well I quite liked the episode. Yes there are plot holes you sail an oil tanker through, but I don't really mind them. I was convinced the mannequins were going to turn out to be a form of prototype LMD's, which would have been more interesting than the super-soldier fight we got.

I can't think this is the end of Raina, she's awesome and we have no idea what her motivations are yet.

I watched to find out what happened to Coulson and was disappointed at the non-answer. The scene in the doctor's SUV at the end had some incredible acting but the words they were saying meant nothing. I keep wanting this show to be something it is not. Smart, funny, and with high stakes. There is nothing of the kind here.

Forget the plot holes in this episode, how about this missed opportunity. When Agent Hand says she has her best interrogator working on that generic bad guy why didn't our generic good guy say, "best guy my ass, couldn't you get Natasha in there?" I'm not saying they had to bust there budget to get ScarJo in a catsuit and red wig for 30 seconds of work, but at least toss us a fucking reference. They continually ignore the bigger universe they have created and it pisses me off to no end.

They continually ignore the bigger universe they have created and it pisses me off to no end.

As fucked as this show is, this is patently untrue. They have referenced the movies in every single episode except two. Are you saying they should keep doing this? - because I grew tired of that shit after like episode 3. Either they up the ante and actually get Scarlett in that catsuit and red wig, or they start making the references fewer and more meaningful.

I figured I would either be happy or disappointed by finally knowing what happened to Coulson, but now I'm mainly confused. I have no idea if it was just resolved or not. During the conversation with Shepherd Book, I kept thinking "are we building towards a revelation here, or is this just some sort of denouement?" What do people think? Was this just the first hint of what happened to him, or was it the pay-off?

I figured I would either be happy or disappointed by finally knowing what happened to Coulson, but now I'm mainly confused. I have no idea if it was just resolved or not. During the conversation with Shepherd Book, I kept thinking "are we building towards a revelation here, or is this just some sort of denouement?" What do people think? Was this just the first hint of what happened to him, or was it the pay-off?

Hint. There was some form of tech used before Shepard got to the scene, seven phases he said. Whatever was used has to be important. The impression I got was that Shepard (what is his actual name?) was just there to reprogram his brain.

All we got was that he did in fact die and was dead for days and Tahiti was an implanted memory , which we all knew anyway. We have no idea how they brought him back, other than it took a whole bunch of very painful surgeries. The big question is why did they bring him back in the first place (other than he was a popular character they wanted to anchor this show ;) ) and why is he so important now?

Clearly a hint. They never said anything other than he was dead for days and worked on. We have no idea what he "became" or how they did it.

I think SHIELD made a tactical error focusing on Coulson's resurrection. I don't think many of us cared.

Clearly a hint. They never said anything other than he was dead for days and worked on. We have no idea what he "became" or how they did it.

I think SHIELD made a tactical error focusing on Coulson's resurrection. I don't think many of us cared.

Yeah the whole "You lost your will to live! :crying: :bawl: " thing didn't feel overly compelling.

What's weird is they'll spend insane amounts of man power trying to find him but couldn't bother to give him appropriate back up when his team is facing off against super soldiers.

Damn. I guess this episode did suck after all.

I care. The main problem I have with it, is that they have too many things going on and can't seem to decide which to focus on. Is it Skye's parents? Is it Centipede? is it Coulson's resurrection? It seems a bit like it's treading water.

Tons of shows have done multithread plotting and done it well. I don't see an inherent problem in having a secret concerning Skye's parentage *and* Coulson's death *and* a mysterious enemy. Firefly did pretty much exactly the same thing.

The problem that all other problems stem from is the characters, their actions and the actors who portray them. Pretty much from the onset it was clear that at least two thirds of the main crew are good-looking young actors with not an ounce of gravitas. Someone argued that the Firefly crew wasn't that compelling in the pilot either, but really - after watching an entire season of this fuckery, do we really believe that the actors portraying Ward or Skye could ever deliver something emotionally poignant? They bet on the wrong horses, and they wrote the horses the wrong way.

I care. The main problem I have with it, is that they have too many things going on and can't seem to decide which to focus on. Is it Skye's parents? Is it Centipede? is it Coulson's resurrection? It seems a bit like it's treading water.

I just don't find Coulson interesting enough to really care. They brought him back to life, so what? I mean, I would have been happy with him being dead for a minute, brought back and hidden from the rest of Avengers to provide motivation. That would have done enough for me and it would have allowed the series to have a focus.

Tons of shows have done multithread plotting and done it well.

Arrow and Person of Interest do this very well.

Archived