DC 3 a new Bid for the 2017 Worldcon

The Washington DC bid for the 2017 Worldcon was made official on Saturday. Information can be found at (www.dc17.org). The dates are August 16 - 20, 2017 at the Wardman Park Marriot. This is in DC near Woodley Park and the National Zoo. All of the functions will be under one roof. The room rate at the Marriot is $149 per night single to quad.

The physical location is the same as the last DC Worldcon, but the facility is a newer and fully accessible.

There is room for additional help and presupport. This is a hotly contested bid race between 4 locations. Washington DC, Japan, Montreal Canada, and Helsinki Finland. The voting will be in Spokane WA USA in 2015. If we win, there will also be a need for help running the convention.

AB

Best of luck just volunteered tot sit at your table at ConCarolina next year. Anything else I can do to help?

Not sure at this point. But I will keep you in mind. Are there any departments that you may be interested in working in?

Manning the tables are a big part of the bidding process. We need to have a presence, and the greater the number of people involved, the better it looks. Perception can be influenced by seeing a large number of people at bid tables over time as compared to if you see the same two to three people at the table. The first seems to show a much broader base of support.

On a related note, The facebook page has around 500 likes in just a few days. Helsinki, which has been out since October, has around 750.

I've stayed at that Hotel at least 100 times over the years, when it was a Sheraton. My employer had a permanent suite on the 8th floor in the Wardman Tower, Gone since it became a Marriott. I can vouch for it as an excellent choice for the con. The Metro (subway) station is right at the corner of the hotel so easy to get to from airports and Amtrak/commuter railroad stations.

Archived