Black Mirror - Spoilers after the first post

Sci-2

I thought it was really well executed and sufficiently meta. I think i'd have preferred not choosing as an option (although maybe that is an option) eg when faced with "trolley paradoxes" i opted for not choosing. I thought there'd be more jump scares but only encountered one.

Then again I've maybe only seen a fraction of what was filmed so it's hard to be too critical of events/scenes that may actually be there. I'm sure there will be some in depth guides in a few weeks that will reward a rewatch/play.

I love the irony that a guide will be a spoiler in the sense you can't watch a secret ending without knowing what it is beforehand. Although i guess they can say 1-5 star reviews to minimise spoilers. The

phone number code scene is bound to have tons of codes

I thought it was a really good example of how interactive movies could work and hope it encourages others to try.

I didn’t read anything about it on purpose and tried to watch on a tv but they told me to stop. So I watched on my Ipad... and thought it was fun and respect the effort. It was a little simple but I think I might go back and pick the opposite choices just to see what would be different. Although they do show you a lot of what could’ve been so I wonder if I’ll see anything different.

I very much like the concept and credit where credit is due, they certainly deserve it. Not sure how much I liked the actual story though. I thought it felt more like a generic psychological thriller/horror theme rather than anything based around any futuristic technology that Black Mirror usually revolves around. There was at least one instance where I could have ended the show and gone to the credits, but kept going back to choose other options and to see where it would take me.

Ok a few questions here. 1. Did anyone click to see what would happen if Stefan jumped instead? Did anyone find out anything more about the PACS program his Dad, Mom and therapist were in on? The option I picked ended with his Dad getting killed (well i think they all ended like that, at least for me) and I didn't learn more about the mind control (?) program. I'd like to know more about that as well. 3. Does he ever get his rabbit back?

5 hours ago, Ghjhero said:

I very much like the concept and credit where credit is due, they certainly deserve it. Not sure how much I liked the actual story though. I thought it felt more like a generic psychological thriller/horror theme rather than anything based around any futuristic technology that Black Mirror usually revolves around. There was at least one instance where I could have ended the show and gone to the credits, but kept going back to choose other options and to see where it would take me.

Hide contents

Ok a few questions here. 1. Did anyone click to see what would happen if Stefan jumped instead? Did anyone find out anything more about the PACS program his Dad, Mom and therapist were in on? The option I picked ended with his Dad getting killed (well i think they all ended like that, at least for me) and I didn't learn more about the mind control (?) program. I'd like to know more about that as well. 3. Does he ever get his rabbit back?

Spoiler

If Stefan jumps the Christmas review comes out saying the original creator died in a tragic accident, someone else stepped up and the result was a creepy awful mess. Then you basically get a reset and go to the therapists office where you get to fight her.

12 minutes ago, mormont said:

You should be able to, I believe. Doesn't work with AppleTVs, though.

Not sure actually. I watched on iPad but my mam tried to watch on our LG tv and Netflix kept giving her an error message when she tried to watch

49 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Not sure actually. I watched on iPad but my mam tried to watch on our LG tv and Netflix kept giving her an error message when she tried to watch

It worked fine on my nowtv device and on my brother's smart TV.

7 hours ago, Ghjhero said:

Reveal hidden contents

You are probably best off playing around with it for a while tbh as it sounds like you got through the show without having to redo a lot. A key thing about approaching it is that if you "go back" you may think there's only one option. However picking the same thing twice can actually lead to very different outcomes. Similarly when you reach the end, i'd encourage you to choose the non credits option. 

17 hours ago, Triskele said:

One thing that jumped out to me just one time through is that it seemed like it kind of forced the viewer to go back and take the 2nd choice previously not taken earlier.  Makes me wonder how many different paths really exist.  

It doesn't though. There was at least one occasion i made the Same choice twice and got different results or when it returned a third time to the divergence point there was a different option eg A and C instead of A and B

I think I was sent back like ten times? To be honest, that got annoying really quickly?

But this might have been because I never chose to go the credits but try again :P

I still didn't go to the ending where you got five stars. 

For me, it was a bit too meta which didn't make it anymore very entertaining. 

20 hours ago, Spockydog said:

I love Brooker, but this was utter cack. A really boring show about a really boring bloke being told to do really boring things by people watching Netflix. Fuck off.

20 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Yeah the gimmick is much better than the story unfortunately. I realised quite quickly that I didn’t care which option I chose because I didn’t find the story interesting at all. Being sent back was a cool twist, but only the first time.

These were my feelings as well. The novelty wore off pretty quickly and both the characters and plot were as dull as dirt resulting in me losing interest very quickly. 

I think it's more about the feelings that it engenders in the viewer than the actual story - which I agree wasn't particularly special. In a lot of ways the story is not about the videogame at all - the story is 'someone is controlling a character and that character becomes more and more aware of it' - and that someone is, well, you (kinda). 

What was interesting to me was the choices that I made or didn't make and how frustrating it was for me to make certain choices. When I got to the point where either Stefan or Colin were going to jump, I didn't make a choice at all. I refused to. (It picked Stefan, in case you were curious). It kind of pissed me off when I had two choices to make and both sucked. I really wanted to make sure Stefan understood he wasn't going crazy and that Netflix was controlling him. I hated the path that made him go into his delusions. 

I don't know that you can make a particularly compelling CYA that also has a particularly good story, unless you have insane resources to actually make very very different endings and plots. (Cartoons might work for this in a way that live-action does not). But I think it's more interesting how they chose to make the viewer complicit in Stefan's pain, and how the people who apparently made Stefan suffer the most and caused the most damage to the world got the 5 star rating. 

4 hours ago, Kalbear said:

I think it's more about the feelings that it engenders in the viewer than the actual story - which I agree wasn't particularly special. In a lot of ways the story is not about the videogame at all - the story is 'someone is controlling a character and that character becomes more and more aware of it' - and that someone is, well, you (kinda). 

What was interesting to me was the choices that I made or didn't make and how frustrating it was for me to make certain choices. When I got to the point where either Stefan or Colin were going to jump, I didn't make a choice at all. I refused to. (It picked Stefan, in case you were curious). It kind of pissed me off when I had two choices to make and both sucked. I really wanted to make sure Stefan understood he wasn't going crazy and that Netflix was controlling him. I hated the path that made him go into his delusions. 

I don't know that you can make a particularly compelling CYA that also has a particularly good story, unless you have insane resources to actually make very very different endings and plots. (Cartoons might work for this in a way that live-action does not). But I think it's more interesting how they chose to make the viewer complicit in Stefan's pain, and how the people who apparently made Stefan suffer the most and caused the most damage to the world got the 5 star rating. 

I think you had a similar experience to my own and make the point well that it's how the show made you feel about making the choices. Stefan or colin was a bit of a "trolley paradox" for me and I also opted for "not actively choosing" and tended to do so when faced with two "evil" choices. I also felt bad when I picked "bite nails" thinking it would be less painful than "pull ear lobes" and then squirmed when I thought he bite tear his nails off.

On 12/30/2018 at 7:01 AM, Tijgy said:

I think I was sent back like ten times? To be honest, that got annoying really quickly?

But this might have been because I never chose to go the credits but try again :P

I think the film's real free will test is to see how long you follow all of the replay options to find out what happens on an alternate decision path vs just..stopping and moving on with your life :lol:

Archived