Black Mirror - Spoilers after the first post

Sci-2

4 hours ago, Nictarion said:

A nice feel good show for the holidays. :lol:

It almost makes up for the lack of Brooker's yearly wipe show. Although i guess it's clearer why he hasn't had time to prepare for it now. Hopefully he'll turn up on some panel show over xmas too.

11 hours ago, red snow said:

It almost makes up for the lack of Brooker's yearly wipe show. Although i guess it's clearer why he hasn't had time to prepare for it now. Hopefully he'll turn up on some panel show over xmas too.

I just think that Brooker got a bit too depressed last year talking about Brexit and Trump, that he simply can't face doing one on the actual impact of those 2 things... or the Tory foot-shooting spree that was the general election.

They might as well just run the Anchorman fight scene (up to "that escalated quickly") on loop

3 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

I just think that Brooker got a bit too depressed last year talking about Brexit and Trump, that he simply can't face doing one on the actual impact of those 2 things... or the Tory foot-shooting spree that was the general election.

They might as well just run the Anchorman fight scene (up to "that escalated quickly") on loop

It's a bad sign when his black mirror stories are a pleasant break from reality.

He has written a Philomena cunk series but I find the character hit and miss. They may alter the format when not a 5 minute segment though

1 hour ago, red snow said:

It's a bad sign when his black mirror stories are a pleasant break from reality.

He has written a Philomena cunk series but I find the character hit and miss. They may alter the format when not a 5 minute segment though

http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=267

• 4 weeks later...

USS Callister was so good.  Glad Black Mirror is back!

Spoiler

There is something about these bio game data whatever that just completely freak me out and terrify me.  I can guess it will be a nightmare night.  San Junipero and White Christmas were terrifying episodes for me.  Being stuck in some sort of hardware just sounds like a horror show.  I was on the edge of my seat and my heart was pounding once the major reveal happened and we had to wait to see how the characters would work themselves out of the game.  

One thing I didn't get, if they were trying to die, then why not all go burn themselves up in the generator?  Or did they specifically need to get out of that particular game and into the regular game?  And how did they lock whatshisname in the game?  Which led to his death (and I assume that will turn out to be PR for the game and our protagnosists will die eventually?)

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

A friend of mine calls him "Fat Damon."  That episode was incredible.  

i also watched Arkangel which was the quintessential Black Mirror episode in that it made me want to kill myself.

Just finished that episode.  Shoot me.

Started ep 3 but the first five minutes made it clear that I need to take a break.

Done. Fantastic season, even better than the last. Even the weakest episode - IMO Black Museum - was still pretty good. But Brooker is really relying on the cookies now. I have it as:

1. Archangel
  2. USS Callister
  3. Hang the DJ
  4. Crocodile
  5. Metalhead
  6. Black Museum

The first 4 are basically all as good as eachother and might change based on how im feeling that day. Also I thought the first story in Black Museum was as good as anything this show has ever done but was watered down by the other two stories which didn't really work for me.

16 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

One thing I didn't get, if they were trying to die, then why not all go burn themselves up in the generator?  Or did they specifically need to get out of that particular game and into the regular game?  And how did they lock whatshisname in the game?  Which led to his death (and I assume that will turn out to be PR for the game and our protagnosists will die eventually?)

They say what this is in the episode. He'll burn up, but he won't die - he'll just be a pile of ash for eternity until Daly decides to let him die. You can't kill yourself in the game normally without his permission. 

The only way to escape is to go through the update patch and be out of the game's system.

Got through four episodes so far. Title says "spoilers," so I'm not tagging any of these.

Callister reminded me of the Christmas episode. It was just a small component of the Christmas episode, but it's the part of it that stuck with me the most -- the part with Oona Chaplin cloning herself and using the eClone as a slave. That really messed with me, but it was just a story beat as opposed to the focus of the episode.

They really glossed over the mortality aspect of it all in Callister, though. I get why the eClones wanted to off themselves, but the idea that they were real even though they weren't "real" could've been expanded. That fascinates me. Like, if you found out you were just a copy of the real you...? That's fucked up. Would you willingly look for ways to kill yourself, or would you be fixated on finding a way to live, despite it all? Granted, if I lost my dick, I'd probably be willing to fly into a worm hole, myself. Fun episode, though.

I thought Arkangel was just okay. Reminded me more of an after school special than anything.

Crocodile primarily made me hate white women -- jokes, y'all.

Hang the DJ reminded me of San Junipero, in that it was hopeful...? Stay tuned. I was all set to see this one go sideways at the end. Ultimately, what was revving up to be a definite anti-technology episode turned out to be pretty damn pro tech. But the twisted shit is, you can still be uncomfortable with the way the AI manipulated the "algorithm" throughout. This theme is pretty consistent with how I felt about Callister. The show has a knack for not just painting tech as the villain, but literally turning the characters into a "program" for some twisted experimentation in dehumanizing them. I can't even really articulate what I think about it right now, but this is the third time I've noticed it.

Archived