What do you think about Dany's last chapter in aDwD

Mrs.Grumpy

Well I for one have seen the death of the sweet, yet strong Dany, and the birth of a tyrant. Think about it. All she knows is the stories from her asshole brother, her rough life with the Dothraki, and the barbarity of Slavers Bay. Hers is a tragic arc of the failure of good intentions. As GRRM complained of LOTR: 'what was Aragorn's tax policy? How do we know he's a good ruler?' This is Dany's failure too. Now that she has failed to reform the truly nasty culture of Slavers Bay, she turns to blood and fire? How can this be a good thing? How can bringing an army of Dothraki, IB, sellswords and Pit fighters to Westeros be a good thing? And don't even get me started on the dragons. She has dedicated herself to violence now, during some weird hallucinogenic berry trip, and I suspect that that is pretty much that.

That's what I think will happen too :cheers:

I think she's resolved the inner conflict she experienced at Mirri's village. She knows that the price of the Iron Throne is murder, rape, and pillage; yet, she's spent three years shying away from making people pay that price. Now, her mind is made up.

I think she's resolved the inner conflict she experienced at Mirri's village. She knows that the price of the Iron Throne is murder, rape, and pillage; yet, she's spent three years shying away from making people pay that price. Now, her mind is made up.

What do you mean by that?

I think that it was like all the others Dany's chapters. Boring, useless and annoying with a dash of madness to spice things up.

Answer to the thread title. :)

As for what she will be, I think we can see some more insecurities, delusions and paranoid ideas coming to her mind...

:agree:

It was one of the best chapters in the book IMO, and it provided Dany with a satisfying conclusion to her arc.

Personally I interpret the whole "dragons plant no trees" ideology to be Dany accepting what all the other claimants in Westeros accepted as soon as they claimed their thrones: sacrifices need to be made. Up to this point, Dany has been extremely concerned with preserving the lives of innocents - no matter what that might cost her. That's why she launches surprise attacks on Astapor and Yunkai; that's why she conquers Meereen rather than watching her "children" die on the Demon Road; that's why she stays in Meereen after learning what happened to Astapor and Yunkai; that's why she doesn't kill the child hostages. This concern with preserving the lives of innocents was a good quality in her character, but it is not a good quality in a leader, particularly one who has to face war, and it's probably the primary reason for Dany's failure.

But it's not a concern that any of the other potential leaders of Westeros faced (at least to the same extent that she did). Robb, for example had no problems marching south to face a war with the Lannisters, and he also had no problem continuing the war following Ned's death. But he was still concerned with protecting the lives of innocents.

Horny teenage girl looking for fire and blood with a bunch of half naked horse riders. That doesn't bode very well for the long Winter.

I am beginning to realise that the reason people to view fantasy with such shallow perceptions is because it's fans put forth the same ones.

I mean, if all you can grasp about Dany is "horny teenage girl" after five fucking books, I can hardly expect folks who don't read fantasy to have a better opinion.

I know right? I personally never understood people getting so worked up over the usurpers dogs comments. Words are wind. And from her pov it happens to be true.

I agree. Why shouldn't she feel nothing but contempt for the leaders of the rebellion that killed her father, brother, niece and nephew, causing her to grow up in exile in what could be described as a pretty miserable childhood.

Not to mention the term "usurpers dogs" is kinda badass.

She does NOT think Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna. She thinks they were in love and he demonstrated his love by taking her by sword-point from her betrothal to Robert, just like she wanted to be taken away from Hizdahr from Daario.

Dany's idea of Rhaegar and Lyanna is probably the closest to the truth of what actually happened.

I agree. Why shouldn't she feel nothing but contempt for the leaders of the rebellion that killed her father, brother, niece and nephew, causing her to grow up in exile in what could be described as a pretty miserable childhood.

Not to mention the term "usurpers dogs" is kinda badass.

Because her father and brother were innocent, right? Dany was being totally ignorant of what happened.

Because her father and brother were innocent, right? Dany was being totally ignorant of what happened.

Everyone seems rather ignorant of the full extent of Aerys' insanity-even Cat doesn't know how Rickard and Brandon died.

And Rhaegar's actions even at their worst inepretation, hardly warranted his wife and children being murdered.

Archived