Marvel Cinematic Universe: General Discussion

protar

really? why so?... between GoT, Boardwalk Empire, Deadwood, etc, I think that they do TV better than anyone.... unless I'm missing something

I think it would weaken their brand. True Blood is doing them no favors at this point, and I think they're glad it is ending. I enjoy superhero movies/tv shows (not as much as I used to), but I just don't see them fitting in with what HBO does.

I know nothing about Guardians of the Galaxy in the comics, but I'm hoping it will keep within the same sort of vein as Thor. A little bit goofy perhaps but not too much.

To me they have a strong Farscape vibe: a bunch of eccentric characters who are in way over their head most of the time. I'm not even sure if Star Lord has any special abilities. It seems like he used to, and that the name is a holdover from that time, but these days he's just a guy who got roped into this job.

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, would enjoy this very much. But I doubt that it happens very soon with the poor reception these characters received previously.

Who owns the rights to Punisher? He would fit in well with what Netflix is doing (and be more interesting than most of those characters).

If you take Ghost Rider out of the mix then the line-up has potential. Blade was a successful franchise and while the third was the weakest by far, I think it was more Snipe's imprisonment that killed the series.

This is a fairly good summary of the Marvel, Fox, Sony dilemma. Without seeing what the contracts are it's an impossible guessing game. The Cable one is interesting though as it suggests that Fox may have only signed the deal for characters created before 1994. If this is the case then we could see a lot of new x-men characters turning up as ,say inhumans (as Marvel can't call them x-men or mutants). I think Fox may have a stronger deal than that though because if they didn't we'd be seeing a lot more new x-men characters being published in the comics.

I think it would weaken their brand. True Blood is doing them no favors at this point, and I think they're glad it is ending. I enjoy superhero movies/tv shows (not as much as I used to), but I just don't see them fitting in with what HBO does.

Fair enough :)

Perhaps thier own channel? (different thread)

Nobody complaining that Drax isn't green enough? What kind of nerds are you people?

So the concept of convicts recruited for some mission stays intact? Given that this is the first time the Marvel movies properly venture out into space, how the hell does Starlord fit in there? Is the movie going to cover his getting into space (and into a different solar system even) as well?

I thought Groot would be taller

I think this will make integrating him into shots with the rest of gang easier. Having actors talk to a 2 storey tall CGI monster could look really bad. Though I wonder whether he'll even be able to communicate coherently or if he'll be reduced to just shouting "I am Groot!" all the time. I think option 2 would get old really quickly.

So the concept of convicts recruited for some mission stays intact? Given that this is the first time the Marvel movies properly venture out into space, how the hell does Starlord fit in there? Is the movie going to cover his getting into space (and into a different solar system even) as well?

Perhaps he was sucked into the Wormhole at the end of the Avengers. :dunno:

I think this will make integrating him into shots with the rest of gang easier. Having actors talk to a 2 storey tall CGI monster could look really bad. Though I wonder whether he'll even be able to communicate coherently or if he'll be reduced to just shouting "I am Groot!" all the time. I think option 2 would get old really quickly.

I understand from interviews that Vin Diesel has many different ways of saying "I am Groot!"

I am Groot.

I am Groot.

I am Groot.

I am Groot?

I am Groot?

I am Groot?

I AM GROOT!

I AM GROOT‽

There are eight to start with.

I suspect how they get StarLord into space isn't going to be the tripping point of the plot. That might be the sentient tree and talking racoon (that sounds strangely like Bradley Cooper.) And Chris Pratt looks a lot like Ed Sheeran in that image.

I understand from interviews that Vin Diesel has many different ways of saying "I am Groot!"

Well supposedly Groot is a genius if you can actually understand him. Of course the guy who made that claim bears the epithet "the Mad".

I don't think Rocket Raccoon is going to be an issue unless they're trying too hard to push him into the spotlight (he seems to be really popular, so there's definitely some danger there). He's an alien, he looks like raccoon, end of story. If Star Wars or Farscape can have weird looking aliens that can be taken seriously as characters, so can this movie.

Well supposedly Groot is a genius if you can actually understand him. Of course the guy who made that claim bears the epithet "the Mad".

I don't think Rocket Raccoon is going to be an issue unless they're trying too hard to push him into the spotlight (he seems to be really popular, so there's definitely some danger there). He's an alien, he looks like raccoon, end of story. If Star Wars or Farscape can have weird looking aliens that can be taken seriously as characters, so can this movie.

I think a "weird looking" alien might go off better than a cinematic version of Sly Cooper. But I'm generally not familiar with the GotG comics themselves. :dunno:

Nah. He's a genetically uplifted earth racoon that was created to serve as the warden of a space asylum.

I've only read the GotG comics in the big cosmic crossover events. In those he's a fairly normal team member that happens to look like a raccoon. I'd be more worried about the telepathic Russian cosmonaut dog with whom he has a somewhat antagonistic relationship, but I don't think Cosmo has been mentioned as appearing in the flim yet.;)

ETA: Okay, that origin definitely should not be mentioned in the movie.

Is the raccoon popular?

Because in the comic Bendis is writing he's kinda annoying, given his catch phrase is "Blam! Murdered you!"

That's a helluva catch phrase there...

Is the raccoon popular?

That was my impression, could be wrong. He had his own mini (which I barely skimmed) where he went looking for Groot at some point. I don't remember that catchphrase from his time with the rest of the team, though.

Is the raccoon popular?

Because in the comic Bendis is writing he's kinda annoying, given his catch phrase is "Blam! Murdered you!"

Bendis can suck a lemon.

I've only read the GotG comics in the big cosmic crossover events. In those he's a fairly normal team member that happens to look like a raccoon. I'd be more worried about the telepathic Russian cosmonaut dog with whom he has a somewhat antagonistic relationship, but I don't think Cosmo has been mentioned as appearing in the flim yet. ;)

They -should- add Cosmo. He's the best damn character.

Archived