Winds of Winter Manuscript Length

Uxomi

A different angle on the TWoW speculation train, purely for my own edification:

George has repeatedly referenced a targeted length of 1500 pages, and IIRC he indicates to that number to be the length of the manuscript. Based on the industry standard of ~ 250 words/page in a manuscript, that would put TWoW at 375,000 words, third behind ASoS and ADwD with published lengths of 424k and 422k respectively. Comparatively, the two were published at an initial length of around 1000 pages in their US Hardcover versions.

Am I wrong concerning the designation of that golden number of 1500 as being that of a manuscript? For consideration, a 1500 page hardcover would run around 630,000 words, translating to ~2500 pages of manuscript and would present too many obstacles when attempting to publish it.

Whenever I saw that number of 1500, I for some reason pictured myself having this abnormally massive book to read, and consequently an incredibly daunting novel that George had to write. But looking at the numbers (it appears ASoS was published from a manuscript length of just over 1500 pages) it appears we'll be getting something along the length of the two larger novels of the series.

Am I the only one pleasantly surprised by this, especially when taking into account the bearing it has on when we might actually see TWoW in stores? On a side note, the estimates I've provided are inherently reductive and invariably inaccurate, but are simply there to provide some perspective in my search for an informed opinion.

I'd definitely like a Winds of Winter around the length of ASOS. Yes, when he said 1500 pages he meant 1500 manuscript pages so ~1000 pages in hardcover.

It would be great to read 1000 more pages of Westerosi awesomeness after 'only' three years (Although I've only been waiting for Winds since around February 2013.)

Both Winds and aDoS are planned to be around the length of aSoS, although GRRM hoped they'd be a bit shorter. The 1500 pages manuscript are indeed about 1000 pages in printed book. That would mean we're getting about two times aSoS length to read the story in.

GRRM said back in 2011 that 3 years would be realistically for him to write the book. Of course, we now know that many side-projects have been done by GRRM since then, which probably delayed the writing of Winds. Although GRRM himself is very quiet about the subject, both the actor playing Davos and the actor who voices the audiobooks have stated that the progress was good. The actor playing Davos said in the beginning of this year that Winds was halfway done and the voice actor told in an interview that "another one was almost done". Since this is the man who voices the first three novels, and none of the Dunk and Egg tales, and considering the fact he couldn't be talking about tPatQ (which is voiced by the actor playing Jorah), that would only leave us with Winds and the World of Ice and Fire. But since he was referring to the books as "episodes" and said "another one" it is very likely he was talking about Winds.

But since this is GRRM, I'm going to take almost done as "the last few chapters still have to be written, then re-read and fact-checked. Only then can the publishing and marketing begin.

I'd definitely like a Winds of Winter around the length of ASOS. Yes, when he said 1500 pages he meant 1500 manuscript pages so ~1000 pages in hardcover.

It would be great to read 1000 more pages of Westerosi awesomeness after 'only' three years (Although I've only been waiting for Winds since around February 2013.)

You're quite lucky to only have been waiting for so long. I was a late bloomer, having not read the series until summer of 2012, and I'm already suffering from the sweats of anticipation for next one.

But since this is GRRM, I'm going to take almost done as "the last few chapters still have to be written, then re-read and fact-checked. Only then can the publishing and marketing begin.

This is my hope. I would love a Summer '14 release.

You're quite lucky to only have been waiting for so long. I was a late bloomer, having not read the series until summer of 2012, and I'm already suffering from the sweats of anticipation for next one.

I must be a really late bloomer, because I started reading the books in July 2013 and finished in August, and I can't wait until the next book comes out.

I specifically didn't start the series until the winter before the show came out. Had a copy of Game of Thrones sitting on the shelf since 2002 or 2003 I think but was loathe to start because I hate waiting between books. I was pretty sure, before I started it, I was going to like it based on friends who had already read it and whose opinion I trusted. When the tv series was announced, I knew I wanted to read the books first so as to form my own opinions. I also knew I was going to be stuck with the waits. Luckily Dance came out that summer, so not a long wait for it.

early 2014 is my prediction based purely on the fact George's publishers will want to cash in on the shows success and

with every new season they risk losing its market , that and one of the actors from the show (Liam Cunningham) mentioned

that George had told him he was more than half way through in regards to progress on the new book and that conversation was a while back.

I personally believe they will do what they did with Dance and announce the release date/cover a bit before Season 4 starts and release it a bit after the end of Season 4 to cash in on all the people going WTF about Lady Stoneheart and all the other awesome stuff that's going to happen. In fact I think Season 4 may be the best season (at least based on the stuff that's going to happen in it, and not including Season 6-8 that will in all likelihood be based on the two remaining books)

I like how optimistic everyone in this thread is. My guess is Winter 2014. The latest, I believe, will be a release that coincides with season 5 of the show, but I'll stay more optimistic given Roy Dotrice and Liam Cunningham's comments. GRRM has nearly half a year of free time to sit down and write before he goes to another scheduled con, which is plenty of time to get the book into finishing stages (assuming he has already written at least 60% of it). I guess he will have to go on your when season 4 premiers, but aside from that his schedule is empty. Fingers crossed!

I like how optimistic everyone in this thread is. My guess is Winter 2014. The latest, I believe, will be a release that coincides with season 5 of the show, but I'll stay more optimistic given Roy Dotrice and Liam Cunningham's comments. GRRM has nearly half a year of free time to sit down and write before he goes to another scheduled con, which is plenty of time to get the book into finishing stages (assuming he has already written at least 60% of it). I guess he will have to go on your when season 4 premiers, but aside from that his schedule is empty. Fingers crossed!

Even just 1 small update would be enough for me. Not even an exact page count. A percentage would be fine.

Greatest present ever: "I'm almost done with TWOW, prepare for a summer release." My eyes will melt if I see it... But I won't :(

I'd give up everything I possibly get for Christmas this year (which is less and less the older you get lol) for some official TWoW information.

i was dumb and read the whole series bfore dance came out so i could read it... but now im stuck waiting:( i should have just read a book a year;)

You could have tried of course :p But I don't think you'd actually succeed. Once you get a hold of these books, it's incredibly difficult to put them back down until you've read until the very last page available. :D

Archived