The Winds of Winter -- much closer to shelves than once thought?

Nilan8888

They're not going to extend seasons beyond 10 episodes. They have one of the biggest budgets on TV (I think) and it's unlikely HBO will stretch it so that we'll get, say, twelve episodes a season with the same production values.

Also, I really don't see why Feast/Dance+ Battle of Meereen can't be done in one season with some creative trimming on Benioff and Weiss's part. We don't have TWOW (yet) so we don't know exactly how the battles will go down, but my gut is that if they can give either battle the Fist of the First Men treatment it'll be Winterfell, and have Meereen as the big Blackwater-style episode 9.

They're not going to extend seasons beyond 10 episodes. They have one of the biggest budgets on TV (I think) and it's unlikely HBO will stretch it so that we'll get, say, twelve episodes a season with the same production values.

Why? HBO has renewed entire series on the strength of story alone (The Wire), when the ratings were dismal. This, in comparison, is the second-most viewed show in the channel's history. If they needed more episodes, why would that be much of a problem?

Also, I really don't see why Feast/Dance+ Battle of Meereen can't be done in one season with some creative trimming on Benioff and Weiss's part. We don't have TWOW (yet) so we don't know exactly how the battles will go down, but my gut is that if they can give either battle the Fist of the First Men treatment it'll be Winterfell, and have Meereen as the big Blackwater-style episode 9.

Probably because of the sheer amounf of characters that would have to enter the story. In one season, you'd have to do the following:

-Twyin's funeral

-Tyrion's journey with Griff/Young Griff, capture by Jorah, fall into slavery

-Cersei's machinations against Margery / Mismanagment / Reinstating Fath militant / Imprisonment and walk of shame

-Introduction of Arienne / Myrcella plot

-Jon at the Wall / Stannis & Melisandre

-Dany in Mereen

-Quentyn's journey

-Samwell's journey

-Arya's training

-Theon's re-emerging

-Davos's imprisonment / mission to find Rickon

-Sansa at the Eyrie

That's about 11 separate plot threads. And I haven't even mentioned Jamie and Brienne.

Why? HBO has renewed entire series on the strength of story alone (The Wire), when the ratings were dismal. This, in comparison, is the second-most viewed show in the channel's history. If they needed more episodes, why would that be much of a problem?

Probably because of the sheer amounf of characters that would have to enter the story. In one season, you'd have to do the following:

-Twyin's funeral

-Tyrion's journey with Griff/Young Griff, capture by Jorah, fall into slavery

-Cersei's machinations against Margery / Mismanagment / Reinstating Fath militant / Imprisonment and walk of shame

-Introduction of Arienne / Myrcella plot

-Jon at the Wall / Stannis & Melisandre

-Dany in Mereen

-Quentyn's journey

-Samwell's journey

-Arya's training

-Theon's re-emerging

-Davos's imprisonment / mission to find Rickon

-Sansa at the Eyrie

That's about 11 separate plot threads. And I haven't even mentioned Jamie and Brienne.

I would be shocked if they increase the episode order. They'll cut plot before the increase episode count IMO.

Also, I really don't see why Feast/Dance+ Battle of Meereen can't be done in one season with some creative trimming on Benioff and Weiss's part.

You mean, cutting half of the story and characters?

AFAIK they simply don't have enough time to produce more than 10 episodes in one year.

-Quentyn's journey

I'd bet my grandmother on that they're going to cut this. I agree with the rest though.

They would have to cut basically half of each book if they wanted to do that, maybe even more. There are too many introductions and new threads starting in those two books that one season wouldn't cut it.

Also, is it just me, or do those who think basically 2 1/4 books can be done in one season aren't thinking about filler that will 100% be there as well as the fact that there are around 15 different plotlines/POVs going on between the 2 books? They have to fit Dorne, Iron Islands, Barry in Mereen, Asha, Stannis, Davos etc. I feel like most people are forgetting about these plotlines when thinking that the 2 books can be one season.

Archived