Christopher Nolan's INTERSTELLAR

Commodore

I'm leery of Nolan since Inception and TDKR, and would have liked to have seen this directed by Spielberg as it was originally going to - but it's a Jonathan, not Chris, Nolan script, which is generally a good sign (I know he was also in on TDKR but I gather to a lesser extent), Nolan never lost the capacity to amaze even in those two films, and the cast is bleeding awesome, so overall I'm up for it.

So this is the equivalent of when a videogame releases an all CGI trailer.

I now know exactly as much about the film as I did before I watched the trailer.

To me, that's a good thing. Video game trailers you need to see gameplay, since playing the game is what you'll be doing. Movies are less interactive though, and the watching of it is all there is. Hence a good movie trailer should just get me intrigued without spoiling the watching by telling me what will happen. So I consider this the perfect sort of trailer. I'm interested in the movie and have no idea what it's about.

Yes, give me a trailer that excites me rather than one which ends up spoiling stuff about the film. Too many movies, The Hobbit for one, end up giving away action set pieces and dialogue through trailers. This has Chastain in it too, yes? Can't wait.

Yeah, nothing wrong with a non-spoiling trailer - especially since this is a teaser for a film not out for a year. That used to be the norm. Sure, there have been better ones than this here (hell, just this week, see the Godzilla trailer) but it was good nonetheless.

It tells us the tone and theme of the film, presumably (and I have to say it'll be great to see what Nolan can do going optimistic and inspirational, as he appears to be aiming for here).

Agreed. Haven't seen the Godzilla trailer though. I just checked the IMDB page, it's also got Casey Affleck. That man does not star in movies often enough for me. Also, I wonder who is doing the sound track? I want more than the 30 odd seconds you get in the trailer.

Mr. Fez, I agree that I don't like seeing too much in a trailer (the Godzilla example is a good example of a great example), but I wanna see something. Random footage of stuff that has happened throughout history is basically saying 'we are making a movie'. I get that it's an 'announcement trailer' and that's what it's supposed to do, but I know that it's a thing from IMDB. The 'Dark Knight Rises' trailer was only a voiceover of previous film footage mixed with like 2 shots from the movie it was announcing, but it told me that the tone of the film would be similar to that of its predecessors, and conveyed that 'evil is rising' and that Bane is scary.

'Interstellar' has informed me that humanity likes to innovate, and that the name is 'Interstellar'. I can infer that it has something to do with going into space, but that is where the information ends. I learned more about this movie from some weird girl with a bad British accent interviewing some dude than I did from the trailer. Doesn't make sense, is all I'm sayin', gov'na!

Interesting, it at least gets the tone across. The cast is killer, and so far I've loved every single one of Nolan's original movies (The Prestige is his best in my opinion, followed closely by Memento and The Dark Knight).

Fuck though, a year? 2014's going to be nutty for movies.

Interesting, it at least gets the tone across. The cast is killer, and so far I've loved every single one of Nolan's original movies (The Prestige is his best in my opinion, followed closely by Memento and The Dark Knight).

Yeah Nolan is at his best when he's serious and doesn't have to blow things up (Following, Memento, the Prestige). I loved the the Batman trilogy as much as the next guy but it catered too much to the Hollywood blockbuster crowd.

Archived