Small Questions v 10020

Stubby

I imagine the maesters of the citadel would all be required to know basic accounting as part of their duties to manage the finances.

LF's real skill is not accounting, it's to have changed the role of the Master of the Coin from managing the crown's revenues and expenditures, and juggling liabilities and incomes so that the Crown can meet its expenses will remaining in debt. It's not dissimilar to how modern corporations operate: they are rarely concerned with paying off their corporate debt, only with meeting their repayment obligations.

To put it another way, it's like going from having $500 k in the bank and living off the interest, to owing the bank $500 k but receiving enough money from the $1 million investment to keep meeting the bare minimum repayment obligations.

I think the Citadel awards a gold link for "sums."

Does Westeros have a banking system of any kind? I've always wondered how people secure their wealth without others simply killing them for it. Kevan Lannister told Cersei in AFFC that he had a mass of wealth and could buy many sellswords etc. but what stops the sellswords from killing him and taking off with everything he owns?

Welcome. When people need a bank in the books they turn to the Iron Bank of Braavos. I don't think Westeros has it's own. That's not to say there aren't money lenders or people you can sorta invest with (in ships, businesses etc.) Most lords secure their wealth in their castle's treasury. I guess that's always a risk with sellswords, but you'd try to choose a more reputable group and not pay them all their wages in advance. Most lords and knights in Westeros seem to have a "never trust a sellsword" attitude.

It is possible there's a bank or a branch of the Iron Bank in King's Landnig. It's never been mentioned, but there is the issue of what Sandor did with the bulk of his 40,000 gold dragons. We're probably just supposed to believe he spent it on really nice whores and wine.

Welcome. When people need a bank in the books they turn to the Iron Bank of Braavos. I don't think Westeros has it's own. That's not to say there aren't money lenders or people you can sorta invest with (in ships, businesses etc.) Most lords secure their wealth in their castle's treasury. I guess that's always a risk with sellswords, but you'd try to choose a more reputable group and not pay them all their wages in advance. Most lords and knights in Westeros seem to have a "never trust a sellsword" attitude.

It is possible there's a bank or a branch of the Iron Bank in King's Landnig. It's never been mentioned, but there is the issue of what Sandor did with the bulk of his 40,000 gold dragons. We're probably just supposed to believe he spent it on really nice whores and wine.

The Faith have their own bank, and the Crown owed them a substantial amount until Cersei allowed them to restore the Faith Militant and the High Sparrow cancelled said debt. The Lannisters also must have some sort of bank as they have lent money to the Crown too. And each of the Free Cities have their own bank, although the Iron Bank is the most influential. The Tyrells have also lent money to the Crown too (mentioned briefly in Game of Thrones when the Ned arrives in KL) and I therefore think it reasonable to assume that the Manderly's have some sort of banking system. What I am getting at is that I think most of the rich and influential families have some sort of banking system, although we never really get a great deal of information on how they all work.

The Faith have their own bank, and the Crown owed them a substantial amount until Cersei allowed them to restore the Faith Militant and the High Sparrow cancelled said debt. The Lannisters also must have some sort of bank as they have lent money to the Crown too. And each of the Free Cities have their own bank, although the Iron Bank is the most influential. The Tyrells have also lent money to the Crown too (mentioned briefly in Game of Thrones when the Ned arrives in KL) and I therefore think it reasonable to assume that the Manderly's have some sort of banking system. What I am getting at is that I think most of the rich and influential families have some sort of banking system, although we never really get a great deal of information on how they all work.

As I said there are people who lend money, but I dunno that I would call them banks. The faith and most lords have a treasury that they can then invest or lend as they see fit, but I don't think a wealthy merchant could approach the faith or Tywin and say "hey can you hold my gold for me and pay out interest?" As always, I could be wrong.

Is Azor Ahai necessarily associated with R'hllor? I think people tend to put them together because of Melissandre but it is possible that AA is legit but R'hllor is BS? I have a crackpot theory that Melissandre herself is Nissa Nissa and the blade that slays her (Longclaw?) will gain the power of Lightbringer.

Is Azor Ahai necessarily associated with R'hllor? I think people tend to put them together because of Melissandre but it is possible that AA is legit but R'hllor is BS? I have a crackpot theory that Melissandre herself is Nissa Nissa and the blade that slays her (Longclaw?) will gain the power of Lightbringer.

I think this one belongs in the "impossibly large questions" thread.

So Kevan obviously believes (or just knows) that Jaime and Cersei have slept together and have three children. He admits this to Cersei fairly shortly after Tywin's death. But, there was a thought by Tyrion once,

Ser Kevan seldom "had a thought" that Lord Tywin had not had first.

Would this be an indication that Tywin knew as well (because, for as far as I'm sure, Tywin never knew about it)?

This might not be a small question, so perhaps does anyone now of a thread about this?

So Kevan obviously believes (or just knows) that Jaime and Cersei have slept together and have three children. He admits this to Cersei fairly shortly after Tywin's death. But, there was a thought by Tyrion once,

Would this be an indication that Tywin knew as well (because, for as far as I'm sure, Tywin never knew about it)?

This might not be a small question, so perhaps does anyone now of a thread about this?

There have been a few threads, most come to the same conclusion: denial is a powerful thing. I'm sure on some level Tywin knew.

A question of my own:

Jaime was more interested in what Hogg had to say of wolves. “We had some trouble with a band of them white star wolves,”

Karhold men? I know they're sigil is a white sun, but I wouldn't expect that to be the same as a white star, heraldry wise.

There have been a few threads, most come to the same conclusion: denial is a powerful thing. I'm sure on some level Tywin knew.

A question of my own:

Karhold men? I know they're sigil is a white sun, but I wouldn't expect that to be the same as a white star, heraldry wise.

Could be them, I couldn't find any other noble house in the North with something that could pass for a white star.

Follow up question: What is the difference between a noble house (like the Manderly's, Dustins, Mormonts, Reeds) and a masterly house (Glover, Tallhart)?

Perhaps it is a rather obvious difference, but I'm not a native speaker, so I don't see it :p

Could be them, I couldn't find any other noble house in the North with something that could pass for a white star.

Follow up question: What is the difference between a noble house (like the Manderly's, Dustins, Mormonts, Reeds) and a masterly house (Glover, Tallhart)?

Perhaps it is a rather obvious difference, but I'm not a native speaker, so I don't see it :P

A masterly house is the non-knightly equivalent of a knightly house, for northern houses that don't dabble in The Faith of the Seven and have knights. They are basically "landed knights," but in The North.

Edit for example the head of house Tallhart is called Ser, not Lord.

Why would the head of House Tallhart be called ''Ser'' when he wouldn't be a knight? As it is, Helman Tallhart was a Knight (for unknown reasons), but being of the North, most heads of House Tallhart wouldn't be. Their title is ''Master of Torrhen's Square'', in any case.

You might have me there, as far as I know we've only known one Master of Torrhen's square. He may have been knighted and thus the Ser. Otherwise it might be that they've adapted that southern custom.

Cersei was mistrustful of Tyrells even in the beginning of Feast right?

Cersei as been mistrustful of everyone since we met her. She only feels contempt or fear. And she turns the fear into anger. She's one mucked up individual.

ETA: I think she trusted her father (and that he could keep his allies in check) until he wanted to marry her off.

Cersei as been mistrustful of everyone since we met her. She only feels contempt or fear. And she turns the fear into anger. She's one mucked up individual.

ETA: I think she trusted her father (and that he could keep his allies in check) until he wanted to marry her off.

oh right thanks.

Varys never knew where Arya was after she escaped in AGOT right?

His daughter Eddara became his heir after Benfred (son) and Leobald's (brother) death, so when he died she took legitimate control of it (although she was the Ironborn's captive, presumably now freed). Her title is stated by the wiki to be ''Lady of Torrhen's Square'', which doesn't really give us any clues as to whether or not they've adapted the southern custom of knighood. I guess we'll have to wait and hope for some more mention.

Interestingly, Helman's brother had two sons himself, I'm curious as to why neither of them inherited the Tallhart lands before Eddara. Presumably if she marries, Torrhen's Square will pass out of Tallhart control, in name at least. This situation pretty much identically mirrors the situation at the start of the Dance of Dragons, actually. Maybe we'll get to see ''The Dance of the Wild Hares'' before the end.

Isn't Eddara's situation the same one as that of Alys Karstark? There are still uncles and cousins of her father around, yet she became the heir to Karhold.

Isn't Eddara's situation the same one as that of Alys Karstark? There are still uncles and cousins of her father around, yet she became the heir to Karhold.

Alys is the heir to her brother Harrion, who is the Lord. Her uncles are banking on him not surviving his captivity and seizing the Karhold via Alys' claim. Lady Eddara, as the only surviving child of Helman, has apparently inherited Torrhen's Square outright, with her cousin Brandon as her heir. Of course the fate of the Tallharts is up for debate since, as far as we know, they all remain captives of the Ironborn in their own holdfast.

Archived