Small Questions v 10020

Stubby

Her girls were nice as well; Blushing Bethany and the Sailor’s Wife, one-eyed Yna who could tell your fortune from a drop of blood, pretty little Lanna, even Assadora, the Ibbenese woman with the mustache. They might not be beautiful, but they were kind to her.

These are prostitutes working for Merry. Yna looks interesting dont you think?

Why is there a distinction made between "Queen's Men" and "King's Men"? Shouldn't they all be Stannis's men? It took me ages to realize GRRM was referring to Selyse because I had considered her so inconsquential.

The Queen's men are the members of Stannis' court who have converted to the faith of R'hllor. Selyse was the first one on Dragonstone to convert. Calling the converted men "Qyeen's" men points to the fact that Selyse is a vocal supported of Melissandre and R'hllor, her God, more so than Stannis himself is. It also helps to keeps them appart form the King's men, those who are following Stannis yet have kept the Faith of the Seven.

An alternative interpretation, though unofficial, is that the word "Queen" refers to Melissandre, who is closer to Stannis than Selyse is, and that it is Melissandre the Queen's men are loyal to, not Selyse.

Her girls were nice as well; Blushing Bethany and the Sailor’s Wife, one-eyed Yna who could tell your fortune from a drop of blood, pretty little Lanna, even Assadora, the Ibbenese woman with the mustache. They might not be beautiful, but they were kind to her.

Funnily enough they could all arguably have counterparts in Westeros:

Blushing Bethany - Sansa who is noticeably uncomfortable with Mya's taljs of sex

Sailor’s Wife - Asha for obvious reasons

one-eyed Yna who could tell your fortune from a drop of blood - Tricky to give her a counterpart but I will say either Melisandre or GoHH

pretty little Lanna - Cersei or even Myrcella given that Cersei is no longer as young as she once was. The name Lanna immediately makes me think of Lannisters.

even Assadora, the Ibbenese woman with the mustache - need I say more? :lol:

Anyway that was just what I initially thought, but what was your point about Yna?

Are you hinting at Maggi the Frog sucking people's... fingers... in Braavos under a glamour or something... :O

The Queen's men are the members of Stannis' court who have converted to the faith of R'hllor. Selyse was the first one on Dragonstone to convert. Calling the converted men "Qyeen's" men points to the fact that Selyse is a vocal supported of Melissandre and R'hllor, her God, more so than Stannis himself is. It also helps to keeps them appart form the King's men, those who are following Stannis yet have kept the Faith of the Seven.

An alternative interpretation, though unofficial, is that the word "Queen" refers to Melissandre, who is closer to Stannis than Selyse is, and that it is Melissandre the Queen's men are loyal to, not Selyse.

Thanks. I do recall that list bit, I think it was mentioned somewhere in ADWD.

So it is safe to assume then, that as long as Melisandre continues to support Stannis, so do the Queen's men? Even in the event Selyse dies? (I think she bites it very shortly)

I'd say so, yeah. If Mel were to go against Stannis then we'd probably have a similar situation as in King Maegor's reign with the Uprising of the Faith where followers would be forced to choose between their faith and their Gods.

I would agree with this too. Its pretty clear that the Queen's Men are now utterly devotes to R'hllor (what I call the true Queens Men anyway, not like Clayton Suggs who loves only the power of the Red God and the morbidity of burning people IMO) and by extension Melisandre. If Mel were to suddenly declare that Stannis was NOT AA, that she had made an error and it was in fact *insert favourite theory/candidate here* then they would all up and leave with her to support whoever she claimed to be AA. The only way I could see this NOT happening is related to Varys' riddle of where power lies; if Mel loses her illusion of power, she loses the Queens Men

Thanks. I do recall that list bit, I think it was mentioned somewhere in ADWD.

So it is safe to assume then, that as long as Melisandre continues to support Stannis, so do the Queen's men? Even in the event Selyse dies? (I think she bites it very shortly)

Yeah, I think this would be the case. If Selyse dies, all of Selye's supporters will continue to support Melissandre. Selyse is a Queen in name, and so they tell her everything she wants to hear, so they can get favors from her (like Selyse wanting her "right hand" to marry Val, the "princess"). That is why they are forming around Selyse. But the real base of power is not Selyse, but Melissandre, who holds the power over the king.

Am I the only one who thinks that Arya's life is constantly under a threat while she's in the House of Black and White?

I mean, the kindly man shows her some of the FM's secrets. When he keeps asking her if she wants to go somewhere else, but do you actually believe his words?

Am I the only one who thinks that Arya's life is constantly under a threat while she's in the House of Black and White?

I mean, the kindly man shows her some of the FM's secrets. When he keeps asking her if she wants to go somewhere else, but do you actually believe his words?

I can see him actually giving her an out at those moments, which she declines. However, now that she's starting her intership, I don't think there is an easy way out anymore.

I can see him actually giving her an out at those moments, which she declines. However, now that she's starting her intership, I don't think there is an easy way out anymore.

I agree, I think she could have left but once she is in deep enough it will be hard to leave. They know exactly who she is after all so she can't just disappear, unless she goes back, marries Gendry and then takes on a life of a commoner, but young Lady Arya Stark belongs to them now. And I am one who doesn't think the kindly man is all that kindly(or honest).

I agree, I think she could have left but once she is in deep enough it will be hard to leave. They know exactly who she is after all so she can't just disappear, unless she goes back, marries Gendry and then takes on a life of a commoner, but young Lady Arya Stark belongs to them now. And I am one who doesn't think the kindly man is all that kindly(or honest).

I trust him more than I trust Bloodraven.

Archived