Small Questions v 10020

Stubby

OK, so I thought Faceless men worship the Many Faced God, but when Jaqen H'Ghar is talking to Arya at Harrenhal he says.

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life. This girl took three that were his. This girl must give three in their places. Speak the names, and a man will do the rest.

It's not too far a stretch to say he at least recognizes the Red God's power, or maybe worships it. Has anybody brought this up before? Or are Faceless Men allowed to worship any God. Also, could him worshiping the R'hllor, or at least adhering to its power, be responsible for him being imprisoned in the Red Keep in the first place?

OK, so I thought Faceless men worship the Many Faced God, but when Jaqen H'Ghar is talking to Arya at Harrenhal he says.

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life. This girl took three that were his. This girl must give three in their places. Speak the names, and a man will do the rest.

It's not too far a stretch to say he at least recognizes the Red God's power, or maybe worships it. Has anybody brought this up before? Or are Faceless Men allowed to worship any God. Also, could him worshiping the R'hllor, or at least adhering to its power, be responsible for him being imprisoned in the Red Keep in the first place?

I brought this up a while ago and the answer I was given made sense to me, although it was basically speculation. What wasthought was that Arya save Jaqen Rorge and Biter from death by fire, and so 3 further deaths were owed to the God of Fire. Made sense to me. There is also the theory that Jaqen has gone rouge.

No, worshipping R'hllor would not in any way result in imprisonment, Thoros of Myr was a Red Priest and he held a position at Court.Plus he was from Essos, so it would be generally expected that he would have different attitudes and beliefs than those of the Westerosi.

I brought this up a while ago and the answer I was given made sense to me, although it was basically speculation. What wasthought was that Arya save Jaqen Rorge and Biter from death by fire, and so 3 further deaths were owed to the God of Fire. Made sense to me. There is also the theory that Jaqen has gone rouge.

No, worshipping R'hllor would not in any way result in imprisonment, Thoros of Myr was a Red Priest and he held a position at Court.Plus he was from Essos, so it would be generally expected that he would have different attitudes and beliefs than those of the Westerosi.

Makes sense. And I know Westerosi can worship R'hollor. I just wondered if Jaqen all of the sudden said "I follow the Red God, not the Many Faced God" then by some means the Faceless Men capture him and throw him in a cell. Weird, I know, but we've seen what the Faceless Men do when their orders aren't followed, like with Arya.

Makes sense. And I know Westerosi can worship R'hollor. I just wondered if Jaqen all of the sudden said "I follow the Red God, not the Many Faced God" then by some means the Faceless Men capture him and throw him in a cell. Weird, I know, but we've seen what the Faceless Men do when their orders aren't followed, like with Arya.

Jaqen refers to the Red God, and elsewhere to the god of fire. Is he referring to R'hllor? When we see Arya being educated by the Faceless Men, R'hllor doesn't seem to be particularly important to them.

(George thinks for a moment) Well, remember when Jaqen names him: he had very nearly burned to death recently...

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Asshai.com_Interview_in_Barcelona

I always figured that the religion of Him of Many Faces wasn't an exclusive religion. Perhaps the FM that paid Arya's debt worshiped R'hllor when he wss young. Or perhaps FM take comparative religion 101 as part of their training. They do beieve their god is the god of death, universal to all religions and cultures, and any god waiting on three fresh souls would fit nicely.

But Jaime spoke to Roose personally, telling him to "Send Robb Stark my regards". It would only make sense that it was Roose that did the killing. It was a pink cloak, so it was definitly a Bolton man. And a mere soldier would not be important enough to be allowed to murder a King, I suspect.

I think this will bite Jaime's ass when he was brought before UnCat. UnCat naturally assumes that Jaime has a hand in Red Wedding because of this dumb courtesy of Jaime. I think UnCat thinks even Brienne is involved in this shit along with Jaime.

"...Wine no longer agrees with my digestion, I fear, but I can offer you a cup of iced milk, sweetened with honey. I find it most refreshing in this heat.'

There was no denying the heat; Ned could feel the silk tunic clinging to his chest."

Ok, how (where?) do you get ice on a super hot summer day in Kings Landing?

"...Wine no longer agrees with my digestion, I fear, but I can offer you a cup of iced milk, sweetened with honey. I find it most refreshing in this heat.'

There was no denying the heat; Ned could feel the silk tunic clinging to his chest."

I suppose they have ice cellars underground which are naturally chilled and can store ice? I seem to think this was the medieval equivilent of a freezer

Just like irl before refrigeration, ice would be imported from cold climates or cut in blocks during winter and stored in underground storerooms, packed in sawdust to keep it from melting.

How long did the defiance of duskendale last and was Tywin outside of Duskendale the whole time?

I don't believe that is mentioned anywhere. Tywin would have been outside of Duskendale at least during Selmy's rescue operation, and probably before a bit as well.

But didn't the defiance last a few months? I don't believe it's in the books. The wiki says it was 6 months. Perhaps the exact time is given in the app?

Were the houses sworn to Stannis around Dragonstone sworn to Aegon before the conquest as well? If so, why does only House Celtigar have a Valyrian steel weapon?

House Celtigar and House Velaryon came with House Targaryen from Dragonstone. I guess they worked together, but weren't necessarily sworn to House Targaryen. The smallfolk on their islands were.

I don't think any Westerosi houses were sworn to House Targaryen before the Conquest. You don't just land your family on an Island and demand people swear loyalty to you. Those people would have been loyal to other lords/kings prior to Aegon's lordship, and his family's arrival.

House Celtigar came from Valyria, so it's not so strange that they have a Valyrian sword. House Velaryon also came from Valyria, but they seem to have been an enormous strength at one point, and a very small force in present times. After losing all of their power (apparently after the lordship of Lord Alyn "Oakenfist" Velaryon), they might have lost their Valyrian blade as well? It's possible I suppose, but I'm not even sure house Velaryon had a Valyrian blade to begin with. I don't think it's mentioned in the Princess and the Queen (though I'm in need of a re-read, and I could be mistaken). The Velaryons were still a huge power during the Dance, so if they didn't had a Valyrian blade then, I doubt they ever had. Could also have gotten lost during the flee from Valyria?

How long did the defiance of duskendale last and was Tywin outside of Duskendale the whole time?

I found the answer for you now!

For half a year Aerys was held within these very walls, whilst the King’s Hand sat outside Duskendale with a mighty host. Lord Tywin had sufficient strength to storm the town any time he wished, but Lord Denys sent word that at the first sign of assault he’d kill the king.

So Aerys was inside for half a year indeed, which explains the wiki entry. It seems as if Tywin sat outside of Duskendale with an host for most of the time, until Barristan went inside and brought out Aerys, causing the Lord of Duskendale to surrender.

House Celtigar and House Velaryon came with House Targaryen from Dragonstone. I guess they worked together, but weren't necessarily sworn to House Targaryen. The smallfolk on their islands were.

I don't think any Westerosi houses were sworn to House Targaryen before the Conquest. You don't just land your family on an Island and demand people swear loyalty to you. Those people would have been loyal to other lords/kings prior to Aegon's lordship, and his family's arrival.

House Celtigar came from Valyria, so it's not so strange that they have a Valyrian sword. House Velaryon also came from Valyria, but they seem to have been an enormous strength at one point, and a very small force in present times. After losing all of their power (apparently after the lordship of Lord Alyn "Oakenfist" Velaryon), they might have lost their Valyrian blade as well? It's possible I suppose, but I'm not even sure house Velaryon had a Valyrian blade to begin with. I don't think it's mentioned in the Princess and the Queen (though I'm in need of a re-read, and I could be mistaken). The Velaryons were still a huge power during the Dance, so if they didn't had a Valyrian blade then, I doubt they ever had. Could also have gotten lost during the flee from Valyria?

Makes sense but now it brings up another question. Did the Targaryens not have the ability to craft Valyrian steel themselves?

I found the answer for you now!

So Aerys was inside for half a year indeed, which explains the wiki entry. It seems as if Tywin sat outside of Duskendale with an host for most of the time, until Barristan went inside and brought out Aerys, causing the Lord of Duskendale to surrender.

Thanks.

Archived