Small Questions v 10020

Stubby

Makes sense but now it brings up another question. Did the Targaryens not have the ability to craft Valyrian steel themselves?

Well, the Targaryens had two Valyrian swords, Blackfyre and Dark Sister.

Valyrian Steel is a special kind of steel, right? And that can't be found in Westeros, otherwise Tywin Lannister wouldn't have that much trouble to find a Valyrian blade for his own house.

I guess the Valyrian Steel could only be found of Valyria, as the name suggests. And then, a nobel house like the Targaryens wouldn't want to work, so the people crafting the swords from this steel would not be nobles, so no Targaryens.

This is just speculation, I don't think anything about this has ever been mentioned in the books.

Valyrian Steel is a special kind of steel, right? And that can't be found in Westeros, otherwise Tywin Lannister wouldn't have that much trouble to find a Valyrian blade for his own house.

I guess the Valyrian Steel could only be found of Valyria, as the name suggests. And then, a nobel house like the Targaryens wouldn't want to work, so the people crafting the swords from this steel would not be nobles, so no Targaryens.

This is just speculation, I don't think anything about this has ever been mentioned in the books.

You can't find steel. You have to make it. It's an alloy of iron and carbon with other elements. The combination of those elements and the manufacturing process defines the steel. Presumably the Valyrians used magical elements and spells.

The Targs had several Valyrian Steel swords those are just the two play into the story.

You can't find steel. You have to make it. It's an alloy of iron and carbon with other elements. The combination of those elements and the manufacturing process defines the steel. Presumably the Valyrians used magical elements and spells.

Then perhaps it's those elements that you need which could only be found at Valyria. And it would be impossible to get those elements now, because of the Doom?

Where do we get mention that Ned had Ice when he fought at TOJ? Isn't that just an assumption, or is there text somewhere to prove that?

It is never mentioned in the text. Some readers assume that Ned had Ice, otherwise he would never have been able to match up with Arther Dayne with Dawn.

Then perhaps it's those elements that you need which could only be found at Valyria. And it would be impossible to get those elements now, because of the Doom?

I think it's more likely that dragon-fire is needed to forge Valyrian steel (this is essentially confirmed by comments made by Dany and Jon and a report from the Son's of the Dragon reading.) The Targaryens weren't blacksmiths, no one on Dragonstone knew how to make the steel even though they still had some dragons. It seems someone somewhere still did know how, or at least how to reforge it (in Asshai? Qohor?) It's possible that someone, say whoever taught Tobho Mott how to reforge it in Qohor, has the knowledge of how to produce more if only they had access to dragons.

It is never mentioned in the text. Some readers assume that Ned had Ice, otherwise he would never have been able to match up with Arther Dayne with Dawn.

K that's what I thought...there are other threads discussing all the events of the Tower of Joy and people even go into depth about armor, strategy, etc. and it's funny that it's all based on assumption with no text anywhere. Ned for example fights with a long sword when Jory dies, right?

K that's what I thought...there are other threads discussing all the events of the Tower of Joy and people even go into depth about armor, strategy, etc. and it's funny that it's all based on assumption with no text anywhere. Ned for example fights with a long sword when Jory dies, right?

That is correct, about the longsword when Ned fights with the Lannister men. There is a lot of speculation on here.

Could be but I'm pretty sure somewhere in the text it's mentioned that the art was lost.

Do you what the different titles are on here based on number of posts??

Once you hit 700(posts) you can choose any title you like. Mine for example I changed back to Hedge Knight because I like D&E.

I think there are Commoner, Sellsword, Hedge Knight, Landed Knight, Noble, Council Member, and maybe a few more(Lord I think is one) it's been a while since I went through them all, though.

See Also Here

If Oberyn had won against gregor clegane, would tyrion be allowed to live in King's landing?

Did robb/cat know about the incest in the books?

1. If Oberyn had won the trial for Tyrion, it would have lead to Tyrion being cleared of all charges. So yes, he could live in KL. I don't know if Cersei would've let him live there or not.

2. Catelyn did know about the incest; she hears a confession from Jaime himself when he is a prisoner in Riverrun. Robb, I don't think he did. :(

If Oberyn had won against gregor clegane, would tyrion be allowed to live in King's landing?

Did robb/cat know about the incest in the books?

1. Had Oberyn won, than Tyrion had been free, though social pressure from Cersei and Tywin would have most likely pushed him away from KL. I doubt Tywin would have let Tyrion live in KL together with Cersei, though of course there was the marriage with Sansa to consider. Tywin would not want to lose his grip on her, assuming he would be able to find her again.

2. Catelyn gets a confession from Jaime, but since she's asking the questions directly, you can be sure they already heard the rumours. Robb most likely as well. He must have seen Stannis' letters, which were sent all over Westeros. They just might not have been all that certain about it.

Ugh.

Is there any proof that most of the Vale/Stormlands bannerman sided with the Baratheons and Arryns or is it something we actually have no clue about really?

This is like, one of those things.

There are a few suggestions throughout the text. Maybe someone with the e-books caprovide the quotes.

Archived