Small Questions v 10020

Stubby

Yes. While he did not stood vigil, and there was no septon, nor were there any witnesses, But Dunk seems to try and always be honest, as any knight should be, and lying about being a knight would be a big lie, which would go against all Dunk tries to stand for.

I have my doubts - he did kinda freeze when he was asked to dub a new knight... :worried:

Yes. While he did not stood vigil, and there was no septon, nor were there any witnesses, But Dunk seems to try and always be honest, as any knight should be, and lying about being a knight would be a big lie, which would go against all Dunk tries to stand for.

It's heavily implied that Dunk lied about being knighted.

I think that was because he himself doubts Ser Atlan's words...?

There's another bit of really convincing evidence, when Egg apologized to Dunk for lying to him and concealing his identity.

Dunk looked at him thoughtfully. He knew what it was like to want something so badly that you would tell a monstrous lie just to get near it.

What else could he be talking about? Also if I remember right there are a few SSMs where Martin is asked the question and his responses, while never direct, are telling.

There's another bit of really convincing evidence, when Egg apologized to Dunk for lying to him and concealing his identity.

What else could he be talking about? Also if I remember right there are a few SSMs where Martin is asked the question and his responses, while never direct, are telling.

Interesting. Could you perhaps find that SSM again? :)

Interesting. Could you perhaps find that SSM again? :)

Did a search and found these two:

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Several_Questions2

Q: Anyway to business I was wondering if you could settle something for me while re-reading "The Hedge Knight" I got the impression (due to his blushes when questioned) that Dunk may never have been knighted by the old man. Can you shed any light on this for me please.

A: No, I can't. Sorry.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Norescon_Boston_MA_September_2_67

[Note: The following is a paraphrase of the reporter's statement.]

Martin officially said that Dunk was not knighted [by Ser Arlan of Pennytree].

Did not remember that second one.

Aaaaah, so the Lord Commander of the KG of Aegon V was never a true Knight? Interesting. Perhaps at one point, he got knighted in secret? Or, he never told this secret at all.

I wonder if this will have an impact on the future story...

Huh. It seemed 'shady' to me. So it seems like he probably wasn't knighted. He probably wasn't the first who lied, and not the last (Kettleblack).

Interesting if it will be of importance in later D&E books.

What living warriors at the time of a Dance with Dragons would have fought in the War of the Ninepenny Kings? There is the Blackfish and Barristan Selmy of course, but who else could have? Tytos Blackwood, Roose Bolton, Mace Tyrell, Leyton Hightower?

Not really a warrior, but Septon Meribald fought in it.

What living warriors at the time of a Dance with Dragons would have fought in the War of the Ninepenny Kings? There is the Blackfish and Barristan Selmy of course, but who else could have? Tytos Blackwood, Roose Bolton, Mace Tyrell, Leyton Hightower?

When was the Dance of the Dragons? Do you mean the War of the Five Kings instead?

Aaaaah, so the Lord Commander of the KG of Aegon V was never a true Knight? Interesting. Perhaps at one point, he got knighted in secret? Or, he never told this secret at all.

I wonder if this will have an impact on the future story...

He was a true knight, just not a sworn one. :)

That same SSM says that future D&Es will be getting darker, so maybe his secret gets out after all.

Tatters

I feel like at some point early in the series it is said that the dragons come from the Shadow Lands beyond Asshai. Do I remember this correctly? If so, do you think we'll ever get to "see" Asshai or the Shadow? And is Quaithe trying to lead Dani there?

Yes, in aGoT

“Have you ever seen a dragon?” she asked as Irri scrubbed her back and Jhiqui sluiced sand from her hair. She had heard that the first dragons had come from the east, from the Shadow Lands beyond Asshai and the islands of the Jade Sea.

we will only (maybe) see Asshai in flashbacks, grrm has said. Mel POV probably.

Whether Quaithe was trying to lead Dany there is down to interpretation - Quaithe does say she would find 'truth' there. Given she talks in riddles it's difficult to say for sure.

I have got a question about Robert Arryn... I' re-reading asoiaf right now and n aGoT there is a plenty of characters saying that Jon Arryn wanted to send his son to lord Tywin / Stannis Baratheon, but then he has been killed and Lysa took her son back to the Eyrie. So I don't really remember why so many characters are confused and what really happened, whether he meant Casterly Rock or Dragonstone.. also, did Lysa / besides Littlefinger's manipulation / kill him because of that?

I have got a question about Robert Arryn... I' re-reading asoiaf right now and n aGoT there is a plenty of characters saying that Jon Arryn wanted to send his son to lord Tywin / Stannis Baratheon, but then he has been killed and Lysa took her son back to the Eyrie. So I don't really remember why so many characters are confused and what really happened, whether he meant Casterly Rock or Dragonstone.. also, did Lysa / besides Littlefinger's manipulation / kill him because of that?

It is implied that Jon Arryn intended to send his son to Dragonstone to foster with Stannis but hadn't informed Robert. After he died, Robert promised the wardship to Lord Tywin.

As for Lysa's motivations, sure that could have played a part. I think being batshit crazy was a bigger factor though.

Jon was going to send Sweetrobin to Dragonstone. LF used this in part to have Lysa kill him. Robert intended to send him to Casterly Rock.

Or just ask Lady G :)

Archived