Small Questions v 10020

Stubby

Why did Arya never ask any questions about Syrio in Braavos? Surely the kindly man mut know something about him.

Perhaps because she knows in her heart he is dead, and she didn't see the point of asking after him? Even Arya must have known what it meant if a man with a broken, wooden sword had to fight against a knight in armour with a steel sword.

Is the Valyrian language created for the TV show considered book canon?

Funny enough, I considered this earlier today. IMO Martin doesn't care too much for the Dothraki language and would recommend to use the language created by David J. Peterson, as it is coherent with the books and is honestly well crafted.

A very stupid question, but what is the game Come into my Castle? The name sounds, well, like a bit of an innuendo, but we know its a game Highborn children play. So do we actually know what it is? (sorry for being dense)

In aDwD:

Come-into-my-castle was a game for highborn children, one meant to teach them courtesy, heraldry, and a thing or two about their lord father’s friends and foes.

Further, nothing is known about the game.

Is the Valyrian language created for the TV show considered book canon?

This is what GRRM had to say about the subject once:

“Tolkien was a philologist, and an Oxford don, and could spend decades laboriously inventing Elvish in all its detail. I, alas, am only a hardworking SF and fantasy novel, and I don't have his gift for languages. That is to say, I have not actually created a Valyrian language. The best I could do was try to sketch in each of the chief tongues of my imaginary world in broad strokes, and give them each their characteristic sounds and spellings.”

I guess they did consult GRRM about the languages. He had an image about them in his head.

A very stupid question, but what is the game Come into my Castle? The name sounds, well, like a bit of an innuendo, but we know its a game Highborn children play. So do we actually know what it is? (sorry for being dense)

If you're dense then so am I. I've wondered about it too. Marg playing the game with the little Bulwer girl is mentioned in another quote as well, and I get the feeling that only small children play it, and once you grow up a little you don't think it's cool anymore.

Arya knew about the children of the forest, and about the Andals too, but ghosts did not frighten her. She used to hide in the crypts of Winterfell when she was little, and play games of come-into-my-castle and monsters and maidens amongst the stone kings on their thrones.

“Margaery is too shrewd to be caught so easily,” said Lady Merryweather. “Her women are her castle walls. They sleep with her, dress her, pray with her, read with her, sew with her. When she is not hawking or riding she is playing come-into-my-castle with little Alysanne Bulwer.

Tyrion's discussion with Penny gives a little bit more hints on what the game involves, but I can't come up with any RL children's game that it might mimic. I guess it's all GRRM invention.

“When you were a little girl, did you ever play come-into-my-castle?” “No. Can you teach me?” Could he? Tyrion hesitated. Fool of a dwarf. Of course she’s never played come-into-my-castle. She never had a castle. Come-into-my-castle was a game for highborn children, one meant to teach them courtesy, heraldry, and a thing or two about their lord father’s friends and foes.

Garlan is the second Tyrell son so yes he would become heir to Highgarden. I don't think he would have Brightwater keep too though, as that gives one Lord too much power and influence; afaik there are no example of nobles who are Lords of more than one place.

Sorry, I meant to say he would be Lord of Brightwater (as he currently is) and heir to Highgarden, the if i am correct he becomes Lord Paramountbof the Reach when Mace dies, in which case I imagine Brightwater is passed onto another

Ok, that makes sense. So he would be The Lord of a castle and the heir to a more prestigious one, and the lesser one would pass on if and when he comes into Highgarden?

I read the purple wedding again tonight and was stuck thinking about how much of a badass Garlan is.

If Shireen were to die, who would be Stannis' heir? The closest family I can think of is Ser Andrew Estermont his cousin but is there anyone closer in yerms of becoming heor?

It's a good question to which there isn't really a good answer. Technically it should follow the male line, which means one of his brothers' children... but as Robert's are all bastards it should then go back to any existing Baratheon cousins. There was a great uncle Harbart, who was castellan at Storm's End in Stannis' youth, who may have been a Baratheon and may have had children. Failing all of that, I suppose the Estermonts could make a claim, but as they are maternal cousins, IMO in no way would it automatically go to them.

If Shireen were to die, who would be Stannis' heir? The closest family I can think of is Ser Andrew Estermont his cousin but is there anyone closer in yerms of becoming heor?

I don't know... he can legitimise Edric Storm, if not... Harbert is probobly a Baratheon, so one of his descendants, if he had these ofcourse.

Garlan is the second Tyrell son so yes he would become heir to Highgarden. I don't think he would have Brightwater keep too though, as that gives one Lord too much power and influence; afaik there are no example of nobles who are Lords of more than one place.

Sorry, I meant to say he would be Lord of Brightwater (as he currently is) and heir to Highgarden, the if i am correct he becomes Lord Paramountbof the Reach when Mace dies, in which case I imagine Brightwater is passed onto another

There's no rule that prevents a Lord form holding more than one castle, though it is usually wise to parcel them out to your heirs if you have them. LIttlefinger is currently lord of Harrenhal, The Vale, and his little holdings on The Fingers. House Peake once had three castles, and you can bet if there was a shortage of heirs they were all ruled by one lord. Daeron the Good held the Red Keep and Summerhall until he got old and gave Summerhall to Maekar. There's also a SSM about how Robert could have kept Storm's End and Dragonstone when he took the throne but instead gave them to his brothers.

It would be Garlan's choice what to do with Brightwater if he became Lord of Highgarden. He almost certainly would give it up for political reasons, but he doesn't have to.

Edit: also the title is High Marshal of the Reach, not Lord Paramount of the Reach.

Archived