Small Questions v 10020

Stubby

If a landed knight dies and his heir isn't a knight, does he still get to be called 'Ser'?

No. Knighthood isn't inherited, though if you are a commoner your father being a knight greatly increases the chances that you will become a knight. (He can knight you, you can inherit his horse and armor.)

What is the name of the Volantine town between Volantis and Mantarys?

What is at the end of the Valyrian road from said town in the direction of The Sorrows?

Why are Tyria and Oros named but none of the other three major wrecked Valyrian towns near the Smoking Sea are?

If Shireen were to die, who would be Stannis' heir? The closest family I can think of is Ser Andrew Estermont his cousin but is there anyone closer in yerms of becoming heor?

There is always the possibility of Selyse keeping the castle, as Stannis' widow (if both Stannis and Shireen have died). Through her, the Florents could make a claim.

It will be up to whoever is king to decide who will get Dragonstone I guess.

What is the name of the Volantine town between Volantis and Mantarys?

What is at the end of the Valyrian road from said town in the direction of The Sorrows?

Why are Tyria and Oros named but none of the other three major wrecked Valyrian towns near the Smoking Sea are?

If you are referring to the LoIaF maps, George has said there are some dead cities and not everything has been named.

Garlan is the second Tyrell son so yes he would become heir to Highgarden. I don't think he would have Brightwater keep too though, as that gives one Lord too much power and influence; afaik there are no example of nobles who are Lords of more than one place.

Sorry, I meant to say he would be Lord of Brightwater (as he currently is) and heir to Highgarden, the if i am correct he becomes Lord Paramountbof the Reach when Mace dies, in which case I imagine Brightwater is passed onto another

It would be his. Hecwould keep both and probably give Brightwater to a younger son someday or a nephew or a loyal knight. Such a gift could be for life with the estate going to another when the first beneficiary dies. Things like that probably led to little wars.

Was it stated why Ilyn Payne, a man from a noble house, is illiterate?

It's not totally unheard of. Some people have problems learning (i.e. Dyslexia) and others just have parents who don't put much value on education. Unless I'm mistaken we don't actually know that Ser Illyn is from the main branch of House Payne. He may be from one of the cadet branches that gets the name but not much else.

Edit: there's a Lord Baratheon in The Princess and The Queen who probably can't read.

The Tullys supported Robb's War.................so why didn't the Freys did the same ? Does the support of a higher lord not mean the lesser lords have to follow suit ? What happened there ?

IIRC Robb needed the Freys' support to cross their bridge before he reached Riverrun and the Tullys joined him. Later the Freys betrayed him because he married Jeyne instead of a Frey.

Archived