Small Questions v 10020

Stubby

Does anybody knows about "the book" besides LF? Now that Ned, Pycelle and Jon Arryn are dead.

If you mean the ponderous tome about families in 7K, I think Varys and Illyrio discussed it in the dungeons when Arya overhears them. Something like "the Hand has the bastard and he has the book..."

Thanks for your answer great explanation but whats your opinion on the flaying starks thing would you agree that it's seems a bit unlike the Starks to let them live in house and name IF the whole lords of winterfell being flayed and hung in the dreadfort OR being worn as cloaks by boltons ?

I think it would be Stark-like to allow younger members of a family to escape punishment for the sins of their fathers, so to speak, and allow them to assume titles with vows of fealty. For all we know, there may have been Stark-Bolton intermarriage a la York-Lancaster at some point.

Thanks for your answer great explanation but whats your opinion on the flaying starks thing would you agree that it's seems a bit unlike the Starks to let them live in house and name IF the whole lords of winterfell being flayed and hung in the dreadfort OR being worn as cloaks by boltons ?

Well we know it ended in a siege of The Dreadfort. It's possible Harlon Stark gave relatively favorable terms just to get them to surrender so his men could return home and harvest before winter came.

But might Egg have met his mystery love in the north? Have there been Fiery Wolves or Scruffy Dragons in previous generations? (I do believe that Old Nan may have been Ser Duncan's first)

He may have, but Small Questions are for things that have been confirmed. And none of this is confirmed anywhere.

Can anyone link the SSM saying where it explained that the North takes a long time to gather a host?

This one?:

Quick question - We have seen all of the seven kingdoms in action in one way or another except Dorne and the Vale. I am trying to get an understanding of the various strengths of the different realms. When Robb calls the Northern Banners he gathers a host of about 18 thousand men. How do Dorne and the Vale compare to this (I don't expect numbers, just general feeling)

I'd say these three kingdoms were roughly equal in the force they could assemble... but the north is much bigger, so it takes longer for an army to gather. And life is harsher there as well, so lords and smallfolk both need to think carefully before beating those plowshares into swords.

Not exactly, but I inferred from his mannerisms and companionship with Jon that he is pretty much the same age as Jon, perhaps a little older.

:agree: The user-created timeline shows that he is of an age with Jon, but there is nothing in text either way.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't find the answer anywhere: do we know how old Sam is?

I don't know if we have any solid info on this, but just went past this sentence in aCoK:

"He was older than Jon, a man grown by law, but it was hard to think of him as anything but a boy."

So I'd say that at that point he must have been at least 16.

In aGoT when Sam tells Jon the story of how he ended up coming to the Wall, we learn that he had that really nasty conversation with his father on his 15th nameday.

“Eighteen times the Dothraki charged, and broke themselves on those shields and spears like waves on a rocky shore. Thrice Temmo sent his archers wheeling past and arrows fell like rain upon the Three Thousand, but the Unsullied merely lifted their shields above their heads until the squall had passed. In the end only six hundred of them remained... but more than twelve thousand Dothraki lay dead upon that field, including Khal Temmo, his bloodriders, his kos, and all his sons. On the morning of the fourth day, the new khal led the survivors past the city gates in a stately procession. One by one, each man cut off his braid and threw it down before the feet of the Three Thousand."

This is Jorah's tale from Battle of Qohor which happened 400 years ago. The Unsullied defeated the Dothraki although heavy casualties were given. However;

[illyrio:] “Sellswords will not stand against Dothraki screamers. That was proved at Qohor.”

Is Jorah's tale is wrong (that the Unsullied are overrated by their slavemasters) or Illyrio is lying? I think Dothraki are key factors in the great slave market, supplying newly made slaves all the time. Is that why the slavers do not try to defeat Dothraki but give them gifts when they come before their cities?

Is Jorah's tale is wrong (that the Unsullied are overrated by their slavemasters) or Illyrio is lying? I think Dothraki are key factors in the great slave market, supplying newly made slaves all the time. Is that why the slavers do not try to defeat Dothraki but give them gifts when they come before their cities?

Illyrio is talking about the sellsword companies that were also hired to defend Qohor. They fled while the Unsullied stood their ground.

“It was four hundred years ago or more, when the Dothraki first rode out of the east, sacking and burning every town and city in their path. The khal who led them was named Temmo. His khalasar was not so big as Drogo’s, but it was big enough. Fifty thousand, at the least. Half of them braided warriors with bells ringing in their hair.

“The Qohorik knew he was coming. They strengthened their walls, doubled the size of their own guard, and hired two free companies besides, the Bright Banners and the Second Sons." And almost as an afterthought, they sent a man to Astapor to buy three thousand Unsullied. It was a long march back to Qohor, however, and as they approached they saw the smoke and dust and heard the distant din of battle.

“By the time the Unsullied reached the city the sun had set. Crows and wolves were feasting beneath the walls on what remained of the Qohorik heavy horse. The Bright Banners and Second Sons had fled, as sellswords are wont to do in the face of hopeless odds.

“Eighteen times the Dothraki charged, and broke themselves on those shields and spears like waves on a rocky shore. Thrice Temmo sent his archers wheeling past and arrows fell like rain upon the Three Thousand, but the Unsullied merely lifted their shields above their heads until the squall had passed. In the end only six hundred of them remained... but more than twelve thousand Dothraki lay dead upon that field, including Khal Temmo, his bloodriders, his kos, and all his sons. On the morning of the fourth day, the new khal led the survivors past the city gates in a stately procession. One by one, each man cut off his braid and threw it down before the feet of the Three Thousand."

This is Jorah's tale from Battle of Qohor which happened 400 years ago. The Unsullied defeated the Dothraki although heavy casualties were given. However;

[illyrio:] “Sellswords will not stand against Dothraki screamers. That was proved at Qohor.”

I haven't looked up the passages in the books, but it seems like Jorah's story is referring to a direct battle between Dothraki and Unsullied, where the Unsullied won.

Illyrio speaks of sellswords, not Unsullied. It is often said that sellswords will run when the battle goes bad for them. Perhaps the battle of Qohor was more than Jorah's tale? Qohor might have had sellswords and Unsullied, yet upon seeing the Dothraki and tasting the first part of the battle, the sellswords ran. Then, the Dothraki only had to face the Unsullied.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't find the answer anywhere: do we know how old Sam is?

When he leaves for the NW, he just turned 15. At some point between his arrival in aGoT, and in aCoK, he turns 16. He's about a year older than Jon.

Archived