Small Questions v 10020

Stubby

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act."

This is Jaime in aCoK. The "reviled by so many for my finest act" is of course killing Aerys. But what is the kindness he never did for which he is loved? Is that buying Tysha for Tyrion, which he in fact never did?

This is Jaime in aCoK. The "reviled by so many for my finest act" is of course killing Aerys. But what is the kindness he never did for which he is loved? Is that buying Tysha for Tyrion, which he in fact never did?

People are really baffled about this, there's a recent thread on this very same quote where folks thought it's probably that Tysha thing but still not all are quite happy with that explanation.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/101602-help-me-with-this-quote-about-jaime/?hl=jamie

Who are Tommen's squires? They are mentioned in Feast, and I wondered whether they would be children of anyone.important, it sounds like quite an honourable and coveted position really, squire to the King.

Also, could some kind person provide a quote where Mel thinks about keeping Devan at Castle Black so he is safe? Please?

Don't know about Tommen squires, but here's Mel's quote:

Devan's exclusion must have seemed a rebuke, a punishment for some failure on his part, or perhaps for some failure of his father. In truth, he was here because Melisandre had asked for him. The four eldest sons of Davos Seaworth had perished in the battle on the Blackwater, when the king's fleet had been consumed by green fire. Devan was the fifthborn and safer here with her than at the king's side. Lord Davos would not thank her for it, no more than the boy himself, but it seemed to her that Seaworth had suffered enough grief. Misguided as he was, his loyalty to Stannis could not be doubted. She had seen that in her flames.

There is no need for bafflement. The answer is a clear and unequivocal yes.

In GoT, Robb assembles a host of 12 000 men at Winterfell, with the intention to go South and help the Riverlands against the Lannisters. This is prior to him receiving word from the capital that his father has been arrested.

My question is: who ordered him to do that? I didn't see any letter to Winterfell mentioned in Eddard's chapters around this time.

In GoT, Robb assembles a host of 12 000 men at Winterfell, with the intention to go South and help the Riverlands against the Lannisters. This is prior to him receiving word from the capital that his father has been arrested.

My question is: who ordered him to do that? I didn't see any letter to Winterfell mentioned in Eddard's chapters around this time.

Catelyn sends riders from the Inn of the Crossroads doesnt she? Eddard certainly.told her to give Robb orders to man Moat Cailin at least

Catelyn sends riders from the Inn of the Crossroads doesnt she? Eddard certainly.told her to give Robb orders to man Moat Cailin at least

Actually, I searched in the synopses and then read the chapter - it's the one where Bran goes out riding with Robb and is ambushed by Osha and the wildlings.

Robb got two messages - one from his mother, informing him that she has captured Tyrion; and one from Alyn in KL, reporting the Jaime confrontation to him. Neither of them have any instructions. Robb locks himself with Theon, Maester Luwin and Hallis Mollen and after that sends out riders throughout the North. However, this is done prior to the chapter and in it Robb seems not to have made up his mind whether to call the banners yet.

In Catelyn VI, when she arrives at the Eyrie, meets the Blackfish and tells him all that has happened :

When she was done, her uncle remained silent for a long time, as his horse negotiated the steep, rocky trail. "Your father must be told," he said at last. "If the Lannisters should march, Winterfell is remote and the Vale walled up behind its mountains, but Riverrun lies right in their path."

"I'd had the same fear," Catelyn admitted. "I shall ask Maester Colemon to send a bird when we reach the Eyrie." She had other messages to send as well; the commands that Ned had given her for his bannermen, to ready the defenses of the north.

Who are Tommen's squires? They are mentioned in Feast, and I wondered whether they would be children of anyone.important, it sounds like quite an honourable and coveted position really, squire to the King.

Also, could some kind person provide a quote where Mel thinks about keeping Devan at Castle Black so he is safe? Please?

His squires name are Ser Pounce, Mittens, and Gizmo.

In Catelyn VI, when she arrives at the Eyrie, meets the Blackfish and tells him all that has happened :

Yes, but those instructions have nothing to do with calling the banners:

When the door had closed behind him, Ned turned back to his wife. “Once you are home, send word to Helman Tallhart and Galbart Glover under my seal. They are to raise a hundred bowmen each and fortify Moat Cailin. Two hundred determined archers can hold the Neck against an army. Instruct Lord Manderly that he is to strengthen and repair all his defenses at White Harbor, and see that they are well manned. And from this day on, I want a careful watch kept over Theon Greyjoy. If there is war, we shall have sore need of his father’s fleet.”

It seems Robb decided himself to call the banners. He's pondering it in Bran V :

"Theon thinks I should call the banners," Robb said.

"Blood for blood." For once, Greyjoy did not smile. His lean, dark face had a hungry look to it, and black hair fell down across his eyes.

(...)

Bran shivered. "I wish Mother was back," he said miserably. He looked around for Maester Luwin; his donkey was visible in the far distance, trotting over a rise. "Does Maester Luwin say to call the banners too?"

"The maester is timid as an old woman," said Theon.

"Father always listened to his counsel," Bran reminded his brother. "Mother too."

"I listen to him," Robb insisted. "I listen to everyone."

Earlier in the same chapter:

Robb spent most of that day locked behind closed doors with Maester Luwin, Theon Greyjoy, and Hallis Mollen. Afterward, riders were sent out on fast horses, carrying Robb’s commands throughout the north.Bran heard talk of Moat Cailin, the ancient stronghold the First Men had built at the top of the Neck.

So what are those riders "throughout the north" all about? Are those only Ned's orders to Tallhart, Glover and Manderly?

I'm asking because the next Witnerfell chapter begins with the Karstarks arriving to join a 12 000-men host.

Do any of the families, besides the Starks and Targaryens, mention their blood the way they do? I'm drawing a blank and the word blood turns up too bloody often in the books to search them all.

Do all the Reach families talking about having the blood of the Gardener kings count? Olenna Tyrell says something about that, how Garth the Greenhand planted his seeds in a lot of places. The Florents seemed to mention it a lot if I'm not mistaken.

Do all the Reach families talking about having the blood of the Gardener kings count? Olenna Tyrell says something about that, how Garth the Greenhand planted his seeds in a lot of places. The Florents seemed to mention it a lot if I'm not mistaken.

Florents, Tyrells, Rowans, Oakhearts and Oldflowers are descended from House Gardener.

Yeah, I found a few references to "blood of Old Ghis" as well. I guess blood of the Gardener kings sounds better than blood of the flower(though that may sound perfect for Loras) :)

Archived