Small Questions v 10020

Stubby

People are really baffled about this, there's a recent thread on this very same quote where folks thought it's probably that Tysha thing but still not all are quite happy with that explanation.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/101602-help-me-with-this-quote-about-jaime/?hl=jamie

Thanks! Funny that I decide to ask the question a few days after a thread has started about this. Because of the holidays, I haven't had the time to look at the new threads, and right now I only follow those I was already following. So thank you very much :)

Thanks! For funny that I decide to ask the question a few days after a thread has started about this. Because of the holidays, I haven't had the time to look at the new threads, and right now I only follow those I was already following. So thank you very much :)

You've obviously formed a mental connection to the forum, so your subconscious mind is working on the same dilemmas as the people who are online.

But they could have loved a sister or a cousin...

But his question was were they born from incest.

Well if Aerys II's mum was his aunt, he'd be born of incest. Same goes for Jaehaerys II.

Lost Melnibonean was just saying that Egg and Jaehaerys marrying for love could still mean that they married a family member. I mean, fell in love with a sister, got married and had babies. So marrying for love doesn't necessarily negate the possibility of incest.

In the ADwD Theon chapter where he and Jeyne escape, one of the women with Mance chides him for saying the Stark words - something along the lines of "you have no right to speak Lord Eddard's words". My question is, why does she care?

Not a small question. You can find threads where this discussed. But my best guess is that the wildings have a very healthy fear/admiration of the Starks.

Not a small question. You can find threads where this discussed. But my best guess is that the wildings have a very healthy fear/admiration of the Starks.

What raised red flags in my mind was the specific mention of Ned - I can buy a general respect for the Starks, but the way it was worded made it seem like the wildlings had reason to respect(/fear/admire) Ned in particular.

But thanks, perhaps I shall seek out some of those threads. :)

Maybe a stupid question (as such not worth a thread) but what platitude were the old kings of winter referred by? Now platitude maybe the wrong word but I'm sure you'll get my meaning. Basically I can't see men who were described as hard men for hard times being called "your grace". It strikes me as more of a southern tradition and if so they must have been called something.

Can anybody point to the text where it's described how the Valyrian s found the dragons and used em to kick Ghis's butt?

Here's the stuff about Ghis from when Dany is in Astapor. The stuff about Valyrians finding dragons is somewhere else, but not where I thought.

Old Ghis had fallen five thousand years ago, if she remembered true; its legions shattered by the might of young Valyria, its brick walls pulled down, its streets and buildings turned to ash and cinder by dragonflame, its very fields sown with salt, sulfur, and skulls. The gods of Ghis were dead, and so too its people; these Astapori were mongrels, Ser Jorah said. Even the Ghiscari tongue was largely forgotten;
The Unsullied have something better than strength, tell her. They have discipline. We fight in the fashion of the Old Empire, yes. They are the lockstep legions of Old Ghis come again, absolutely obedient, absolutely loyal, and utterly without fear.”

...My blood is the blood of Aegon the Conqueror, and of old Valyria before him.”
Yet her words did not move the plump perfumed slaver, even when rendered in his own ugly tongue. “Old Ghis ruled an empire when the Valyrians were still fucking sheep,” he growled at the poor little scribe, and we are the sons of the harpy.”
Four of the men seemed to be named Grazdan, presumably after Grazdan the Great who had founded Old Ghis in the dawn of days. They all looked alike; thick fleshy men with amber skin, broad noses, dark eyes. Their wiry hair was black, or a dark red, or that queer mixture of red and black that was peculiar to Ghiscari. All wrapped themselves in tokars

And the Ghiscari lust for dragons. How could they not? Five times had Old Ghis contended with Valyria when the world was young, and five times gone down to bleak defeat. For the Freehold had dragons, and the Empire had none.
Ours is the blood of ancient Ghis, whose empire was old when Valyria was yet a squalling child. You were wise to sit and speak, Khaleesi. You shall find no easy conquest here.”

Was Tyrion planning on killing his father when he went to his room, or was it just an impulse when Tywin says "whore" after Tyrion told him not to?

Personally I'd say it was a crime of passion but my evidence simply amounts to how much a stigma westeros has towards Kinslayers.

Anybody know how many of the Mormornt girls went South when Robb called his banners?

Dacey (firstborn) went and was killed in Red Wedding; while in ADWD, Alysanne tells Asha that Lyra and Jory (thirdborn and fourthborn) are with their mother.

So, it seems Meage took three of her daughters with her.

Archived