Small Questions v 10020

Stubby

I really worry that Sam's life will be in danger when he tries to bring this news to the Citadel. It was something that crossed my mind the second or third time I read the series.

Sam is our only POV in the Reach, until JonCon gets there. I figure he's safe as long as GRRM needs a POV there. But Sam is gonna die.

I thought Marwyn was the only one left in the Citadel who was willing to listen to Aemon. After Sam tells Aemons story to Marwyn, Marwyn leaves to aid Dany, right?

Right but Aemon's letters were sent well before Marwyn left. The archmaester in charge of the ravens was cuckoo and Maryn was very close, no?

Would our resident Faceless Pate not have been the one who recieved the letters, with him being in charge of looking after Walgrave and the ravens?

But by the time Aemon send the messages, it was still Pate, and not yet Faceless Pate. I don't have my books with right now, Lost Melnibonean, so I have no idea who was in charge of the ravens there, beside Pate, and who might have had access to the messages.

But by the time Aemon send the messages, it was still Pate, and not yet Faceless Pate. I don't have my books with right now, Lost Melnibonean, so I have no idea who was in charge of the ravens there, beside Pate, and who might have had access to the messages.

Gormon took over most of Walgrave's duties, but I don't think it's mentioned that he tends to the ravens or lives on the Isle of Ravens.

Sam is our only POV in the Reach, until JonCon gets there. I figure he's safe as long as GRRM needs a POV there. But Sam is gonna die.

That makes sense to me. I agree that he will die eventually. As many other characters will surely do so as well. :(

I thought Marwyn was the only one left in the Citadel who was willing to listen to Aemon. After Sam tells Aemons story to Marwyn, Marwyn leaves to aid Dany, right?

Maybe he did see the letters and believes Dany(or her dragons) will be a valuable ally against the Others. This is just speculation though, I can't find anything to prove one way or the other. :)

During a wedding of two highborns, the girl wears a cloak in the colours of her fathers house, and it is taken off ans replaced by a cloak is the colours of her husband's house. But how do they do this during an incestuous marriage? Like for Aerys and Rhaella? Or even Tywin and Joanna?

Is there anything known about this?

I don't think so. But if i had to assume, the girl doesn't wear any cloak or wear's a royal cloak, but not of the the family. So i suppose during Aerys x Rhaella, Rhaella wore a royal cloak and Aerys replaced it with the Targ cloak.

During a wedding of two highborns, the girl wears a cloak in the colours of her fathers house, and it is taken off ans replaced by a cloak is the colours of her husband's house. But how do they do this during an incestuous marriage? Like for Aerys and Rhaella? Or even Tywin and Joanna?

Is there anything known about this?

We get a little information on the cloak used at Joanna and Tywin's wedding from the weddings of Joffrey and Tommen. Here are the quotes I found:

When the food had been cleared away, the queen solemnly presented Joff with the wife’s cloak that he would drape over Margaery’s shoulders. “It is the cloak I donned when Robert took me for his queen, the same cloak my mother Lady Joanna wore when wed to my lord father.” Sansa thought it looked threadbare, if truth be told, but perhaps because it was so used.

Mace Tyrell removed his daughter’s maiden cloak tenderly, while Joffrey accepted the folded bride’s cloak from his brother Tommen and shook it out with a flourish. The boy king was as tall at thirteen as his bride was at sixteen; he would not require a fool’s back to climb upon. He draped Margaery in the crimson-and-gold and leaned close to fasten it at her throat.

When it was time for the changing of the cloaks, the bride sank gracefully to her knees and Tommen covered her with the heavy cloth-of-gold monstrosity that Robert had cloaked Cersei in on their own wedding day, with the crowned stag of Baratheon worked upon its back in beads of onyx. Cersei had wanted to use the fine red silk cloak Joffrey had used. “It was the cloak my lord father used when he wed my lady mother,” she explained to the Tyrells, but the Queen of Thorns had balked her in that as well. “That old thing?” the crone had said. “It looks a bit threadbare to me... and dare I say, unlucky? And wouldn’t a stag be more fitting for King Robert’s trueborn son? In my day a bride donned her husband’s colors, not his lady mother’s.”

Thanks to Stannis and his filthy letter, there were already too many rumors concerning Tommen’s parentage. Cersei dared not fan the fires by insisting that he drape his bride in Lannister crimson, so she yielded as gracefully as she could. But the sight of all that gold and onyx still filled her with resentment. The more we give these Tyrells, the more they demand of us.

We get a little information on the cloak used at Joanna and Tywin's wedding from the weddings of Joffrey and Tommen. Here are the quotes I found:

When the food had been cleared away, the queen solemnly presented Joff with the wifes cloak that he would drape over Margaerys shoulders. It is the cloak I donned when Robert took me for his queen, the same cloak my mother Lady Joanna wore when wed to my lord father. Sansa thought it looked threadbare, if truth be told, but perhaps because it was so used.

Mace Tyrell removed his daughters maiden cloak tenderly, while Joffrey accepted the folded brides cloak from his brother Tommen and shook it out with a flourish. The boy king was as tall at thirteen as his bride was at sixteen; he would not require a fools back to climb upon. He draped Margaery in the crimson-and-gold and leaned close to fasten it at her throat.

When it was time for the changing of the cloaks, the bride sank gracefully to her knees and Tommen covered her with the heavy cloth-of-gold monstrosity that Robert had cloaked Cersei in on their own wedding day, with the crowned stag of Baratheon worked upon its back in beads of onyx. Cersei had wanted to use the fine red silk cloak Joffrey had used. It was the cloak my lord father used when he wed my lady mother, she explained to the Tyrells, but the Queen of Thorns had balked her in that as well. That old thing? the crone had said. It looks a bit threadbare to me... and dare I say, unlucky? And wouldnt a stag be more fitting for King Roberts trueborn son? In my day a bride donned her husbands colors, not his lady mothers.

Thanks to Stannis and his filthy letter, there were already too many rumors concerning Tommens parentage. Cersei dared not fan the fires by insisting that he drape his bride in Lannister crimson, so she yielded as gracefully as she could. But the sight of all that gold and onyx still filled her with resentment. The more we give these Tyrells, the more they demand of us.

Is Cersei not talking about the cloak her father put on Joanna though?

Is Cersei not talking about the cloak her father put on Joanna though?

The last quote would seem to indicate so. The first one doesn't make a clear distinction whether it was the cloak her mother had originally, or the one Tywin gave her, but given the details in last quote it would seem the cloak in question here is the one Tywin cloaked Joanna in.

Those quotes contradict each other. Why would Robert use the same cloak Tywin did? Makes no sense.

Edit: And what cloak did Joffrey use after all? Was it Lannister, Baratheon or was there a mixed one, like his sigil?

Cersei wore her mother cloak, the one she was given by Tywin. Joffrey wore Cersei mothers. Tommen wore Baratheon's.

Cersei wore her mother cloak, the one she was given by Tywin. Joffrey wore Cersei mothers. Tommen wore Baratheon's.

"When the food had been cleared away, the queen solemnly presented Joff with the wifes cloak that he would drape over Margaerys shoulders. It is the cloak I donned when Robert took me for his queen, the same cloak my mother Lady Joanna wore when wed to my lord father."

It sounds to me that she means the cloak that the husband drapes around his wive's shoulders when he takes her under his protection - so it is supposed to bear his colours. Tywin and Robert are from different Houses, so they can't be using the same cloak.

Archived