Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stubby

Small Questions v 10020

I don't know. But the "was" could be referring to what she was before she became queen.

But it's also about the "it's said that he favours his mother". I feel like if Egg had known his grandmother, he would simply have said "he favours his mother", right?

There was a really interesting thread about Stark/Targ marriages going way back... where did the thread go? Can anyone please link me? I forget what it was called but it supposed that Targs married into Starks and Starks married into Targs... way back.

There was a really interesting thread about Stark/Targ marriages going way back... where did the thread go? Can anyone please link me? I forget what it was called but it supposed that Targs married into Starks and Starks married into Targs... way back.

I don't have time to comb through them all but try HERE

Sometimes Google by itself is more efficient than our own search function.

But it's also about the "it's said that he favours his mother". I feel like if Egg had known his grandmother, he would simply have said "he favours his mother", right?

You are probably, but not necessarily, right (as usual :))

Wasn't that before he(Egg) wanted anyone to know who he really was though?

“Through the trees, I [bloodraven] see them still, but no word of mine has ever reached them.”

Bloodraven says that he cannot talk with the people in the past. He says they only hear the wind when he speaks. But Ned asked who was there when Bran spoke. That means he heard a word not some wind. Theon hears him the same. Does that mean Bran is a prodigy well beyond Bloodraven?

Along with the quote that you cite above; Leaf also warns Bran "Do not seek to him (Ned Stark) back from death, boy"… This made me wonder, why does Leaf feel that it is necessary to give voice to this warning?

-- Does Leaf fear that Bran will succeed at warning his father of the impending doom associated with going South? Is Leaf concerned with how this would alter the events of the past?

-- Or, Does Leaf fear that Bran will waste a lot of time trying to communicate with his father & thus impede his own progression? This seems more likely as it also fits with Bloodraven's warning - Bloodraven, at some point, was apparently obsessed with communicating with the past, though he never succeeded.

I do believe that Bran has far greater natural abilities than Bloodraven ever had. This has been foreshadowed ever sense the crow was blocking bran's vision in Bran's coma-dream in aGoTs.

Does this mean that Bran will be able to communicate with people in the past? I don't know. Though I have no doubt that Bran will be able to communicate with people in the present - he already has. To Theon, Bran said: "THEON"… later in that chapter (or a subsequent chapter), Theon says "They knew my name, The Old Gods knew my Name." This tells me that Bran can communicate via the trees in real-time.

Osha recalls an old story where the Trees actually fought fought alongside the CotF (not unlike Tolkin's Ents). I would not be surprised if Bran is eventually able to maneuver the Weirwoods - sorta like remote-controlled Ents - at least the foreshadowing is in place.

Along with the quote that you cite above; Leaf also warns Bran "Do not seek to him (Ned Stark) back from death, boy"… This made me wonder, why does Leaf feel that it is necessary to give voice to this warning?

-- Does Leaf fear that Bran will succeed at warning his father of the impending doom associated with going South? Is Leaf concerned with how this would alter the events of the past?

-- Or, Does Leaf fear that Bran will waste a lot of time trying to communicate with his father & thus impede his own progression? This seems more likely as it also fits with Bloodraven's warning - Bloodraven, at some point, was apparently obsessed with communicating with the past, though he never succeeded.

I do believe that Bran has far greater natural abilities than Bloodraven ever had. This has been foreshadowed ever sense the crow was blocking bran's vision in Bran's coma-dream in aGoTs.

Does this mean that Bran will be able to communicate with people in the past? I don't know. Though I have no doubt that Bran will be able to communicate with people in the present - he already has. To Theon, Bran said: "THEON"… later in that chapter (or a subsequent chapter), Theon says "They knew my name, The Old Gods knew my Name." This tells me that Bran can communicate via the trees in real-time.

Osha recalls an old story where the Trees actually fought fought alongside the CotF (not unlike Tolkin's Ents). I would not be surprised if Bran is eventually able to maneuver the Weirwoods - sorta like remote-controlled Ents - at least the foreshadowing is in place.

Theon and Lord Eddard are different, Theon is alive the moment takes place in the present. Leaf's quote takes place before Bloodraven tells him how time works with the trees and how they view the past. He even tells Bran once he masters his gift he can look wherever he wants when he wants. But unlike trees "Men live their lives trapped in the eternal present." Bran eventually will see well beyond the trees themselves. To see what he wants, as Bloodraven pointed out, all the trees basically are is recorded memory.

More than likely Bloodraven just wants him to avoid the pain of the past. But who knows, I don't think Martin will give Bran the ability to communicate with the past just because you end up altering everything and would have to change the books, butterfly effect. The other theoretical alternative is that you don't want to call back the dead. Maybe Bran wakes a Ghost, maybe people like Bloodraven can see ghosts or some such thing. Though I think Brans dream of his father may be a past recollection he and Ric picked up on. One of Eddard in the Crypts. Or just a dream. Either way changing the past has just to big of an impact on a book series this large, to much change involved, so I doubt Martin goes there.

“Through the trees, I [bloodraven] see them still, but no word of mine has ever reached them.”

Bloodraven says that he cannot talk with the people in the past. He says they only hear the wind when he speaks. But Ned asked who was there when Bran spoke. That means he heard a word not some wind. Theon hears him the same. Does that mean Bran is a prodigy well beyond Bloodraven?

Another line of reasoning is that Bran is trying to talk to people closer to the present: Theon being alive and Ned being only recently dead. Whereas Bloodraven might be trying to talk to people long dead.

This one? Aenys I's Wife: A Stark?

Do we know of any Targaryen, other than Duncan the Small, with a non-Valyrian name?

Well, there is a Joffrey Velaryon, who was the son and heir of Rhaenyra Targaryen. His brothers also have peculiar names, even though they sound more valyrian - Lucerys and Jacaerys.

Edit: Valarr and Matarys, Baelor Breakspear's sons, also stand out - as well as Queen Alysanne.

Wasn't that before he(Egg) wanted anyone to know who he really was though?

Yeah, he was still hiding his identity. But he was constantly talking about all the knights he knew off. Stating you know the crown prince looks more like his mother wouldn't be suspicious, in my opinion.

Which made me wonder.

Missandei sat at the bedside. She had been with the prince night and day, tending to such needs as he could express, giving him water and milk of the poppy when he was strong enough to drink, listening to the few tortured words he gasped out from time to time, reading to him when he fell quiet, sleeping in her chair beside him. Ser Barristan had asked some of the queen’s cupbearers to help, but the sight of the burned man was too much for even the boldest of them.

The tiny Naathi scribe looked up at his approach. “Honored ser. The prince is beyond pain now. His Dornish gods have taken him home. See? He smiles.”

How can you tell? He has no lips.

Why did Missandei take care of Quentyn? How the hell she was unimpressed by the sight of the burned man? And how could she tell that Quentyn was smiling after his death although he had no lips remained?

Why did Missandei take care of Quentyn? How the hell she was unimpressed by the sight of the burned man? And how could she tell that Quentyn was smiling after his death although he had no lips remained?

Disregarding the crackpotted Missandei the faceless man, I think the sight of him burned would be nothing to her; she was a slave is Astapor for a man who sold Unsullied, I am sure she had seen things even more grotesque before this. She probably tended to him because she was the only one who cared enough to, as Quentyn was not loved by Hizdhar and the other Meereen, and Irri and Jhiqui were off in the Dothraki Sea. Personally I think her seeing him smiling was just wishful thinking on her part