Cricket XXII - A Cook's Tour

Stubby

Wow, quick collapse. England still have some runs on the board, though, lead by 138. I get the feeling that a chase is not going to be as easy as people think.

Even though the pitch is playing well, England are bowling much better. I think any lead around 250-300 could get very interesting.

England probably are a few runs short, especially with Australia's tail batting so well this series they really needed to get a target up around the 300 mark.

There might still be a sting in the tail but England will need some early wickets tomorrow morning plus Panesar to bowl well all innings if they are to have any chance.

Your 100% right a few quick wickets for the poms and it will be game over for the Aussies.

Though i can't believe how bad England have fallen apart the whole team has just gone into a abyss. Just goes to show when you lose..............

It was all going so well when I went to bed. :(

I think we have to seriously consider refusing to let the team return at the end of the tour. Bastards, every man jack of them.

Although I agree the prognosis does not look good, I don't think you're quite out of this one yet!

One wonders if we're going to see any more retirements or sackings by the end of this series. Trott, Swann, Prior this match. KP at least has probably staved off any murmurs with his performances this Test match. Even if they engineer a revival here or at Sydney, the selectors/board might feel the need to make some changes. I heard on the radio speculation regarding Cook's captaincy - how secure is it? I've always thought he was fairly safe given the lack of a ready-made replacement (who's next? Broad?), and his personal performances can't be faulted after this match.

Cook should stand down, but I can't see a replacement. Broad is a quality player but not captaincy material. Pietersen is a nutcase, Bell should be wearing a bonnet in a Jane Austin film and Anderson is not the most magical pixie in the forest. If Bresnan want one of the problems with the team, ie not first change quality, I might be tempted to give him a try.

Could really do with England winning at least one Test. Got a monkey on England avoiding the whitewash after the 3rd Test. That is more disposable cash than I have after Christmas. Obviously welching on a bet is not an option so I am in the unenviable position of relying on the England batsmen.

Hereward - I think Broad is the only alternative option for captain. I have a suspicion he would be a good captain, but not in these circumstances. I also suspect he would be a better captain than most would expect. What you say is true though - there is not another candidate who isn't on the verge of retiring or too young. Bell isn't captain quality, he's a good batsman but a wall flower. How did it come to this?

Look at us, talking about England's future already...ffs.

And isn't the argument that we maybe need someone a bit more like that right now? If nothing else, the theoretical Broad captaincy would install an aggressive sense of competitiveness in the new kids.

After seeing England roll over a bit more bite might be welcome. For all his positives, Cook is not a captain to bring up a generation of fighty children.

ETA: I should say, I'm with Hereward here - it's time for Cook to stand down. There is a line to toe between being non-belligerent and being meek. Cook has unfortunately tended towards the latter and that is not acceptable anymore. Clarke has shown him up good and proper.

I think Broad's the only real alternative but I'm not exactly sold on him being captain as the solution to all of England's problems.

Yes, England have been dire and you have to look at the captain given such an abysmal Ashes series on all fronts but lets not forget Cook also lead England to a series win away in India and a home Ashes win. Everything that could go wrong seems to have gone wrong in this series and the failures seem to have snowballed, I'd probably give Cook a chance to try and right the ship without the relentless pressure of an Ashes series.

What's happening right now is doing nothing to persuade me that England couldn't do with a big change.

ETA: I love Joe Root (for obvious reasons), and he is quality, but we have been relying on him so heavily this series.

Cook should stand down, but I can't see a replacement. Broad is a quality player but not captaincy material. Pietersen is a nutcase, Bell should be wearing a bonnet in a Jane Austin film and Anderson is not the most magical pixie in the forest. If Bresnan want one of the problems with the team, ie not first change quality, I might be tempted to give him a try.

The obvious solution is to have Monty as the Captain... :leaving:

Broad is probably the most likely replacement given that he's T20 captain. I'm not keen on the idea, but I suppose giving him more responsibility could maybe encourage him to be a bit more mature and I can imagine him enjoying the added pressure. If Prior wasn't in such woeful form with the bat he'd probably be the lead contender, but I think the captain has to be secure in his place.

Here's a question I'm interested in for you old timers (English, Aus and beyond):

From the current youngsters in your teams, which of them would in your opinion break into your best teams of the the 21st Century?

Australia marching on. England haven't helped by dropping three catches, and Bairstow is having an awful time. I wonder what they'll do in Sydney - play Bairstow or Prior? Bairstow has done just as badly as Prior in terms of both batting and keeping (he left another catch for Cook that was definitely his to take, and dropped another tougher chance this morning). He's not even a full-time wicketkeeper, so the rationale seems to have been to get more batting into the side, which he hasn't delivered on.

Hrm, regarding current youngsters...hard to pick. There aren't really many true young 'uns in the Aussie lineup. Warner probably has the most potential to turn into a superstar.

Rogers gets his century - good on him. It was a good decision by the selectors to put him in. 10 Tests later, he's provided stability and experience, and now has a 40 average. There were a lot of people who were saying he shouldn't be picked because he was too old, but I think he's done the job.

I'm so happy for Chris Rogers. He's spent years on the domestic circuit being ignored by the selectors despite over a decade of rock-solid opening batting. His one previous opportunity was tragically curtailed when he got on the wrong end of an Indian team stirred up by the monkeygate fiasco. It wasn't until Australia truly hit rock bottom at the end of the India tour this year that Rogers was considered for test cricket again. I don't think any Australian cricketer in recent times has earnt his place in the team more than Rogers, and a fourth innings century in a successful chase could not have happened to a more deserving batsman. Well done Chris Rogers!!

Archived