Officially licensed evidence Melisandre becomes an "ice other"

Daendrew

I remember seeing this before. Wasn't this particular figurine one that some famous miniature person made for GRRM's personal collection of ASOIAF figurines? If my memory serves me here, GRRM saw another figurine with a similar style and wanted the painter to use the same colours on his Melisandre. Someone posted the link on these forums, and it was a link directly to this artists web page.

I remember seeing this before. Wasn't this particular figurine one that some famous miniature person made for GRRM's personal collection of ASOIAF figurines? If my memory serves me here, GRRM saw another figurine with a similar style and wanted the painter to use the same colours on his Melisandre. Someone posted the link on these forums, and it was a link directly to this artists web page.

Annoying, I was trying to find the link from the forums on this, but I could only find it from a Reddit page. This same figurine is discussed here and these people also say GRRM commissioned a special icy coloured version of Mel. However, the page on the miniature artist web site where she introduces this special figurine has been removed and I can't find it anymore.

http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/1cqu9r/spoilers_adwdpotential_confirmation_of_a_popular/

Search the page with "figurine" and you'll find the comments relating to this.

The quote from the artist: "Melisande of Asshai. In the book series she's the red woman, a witch of fire and light, but George saw this color scheme I used on a drow sorceress and thought it would be an interesting variation for the miniature."

http://www.paintrix-miniatures.com/gallery.php?sub=Dark%20Sword%20&group=manu&img=166

Is it? I know of the little bobble head guys, and Dark Horse's figures. Never heard of these. They're called "Game of Thrones" figures as opposed to Song of Ice and Fire figures, and yet they look nothing like the TV show versions of the characters.

Indeed.

If this was supposed to be an important revelation later in the books, why would they even make that? It's not even a well-known site, and the figurines look subpar, tbh :dunno:

Well that might be what happens, but GRRM (supposedly?) commissioning this is hardly evidence of anything except him thinking something along the lines of "I wonder what Melisandre looks like in blue". It's suggestive, perhaps, but nothing more.

Archived