What great character should have had a pov?

Ser Greg of House House

A Tyrell POV- for being a major house we don't know much about them. Looking at the forums recently we can't even decide if we like them or not.

Renly Baratheon - his personality and morality are pretty cut and dry his motivations are a mystery to me though...alot of his actions just have me asking "why"

Edric Dayne - wonder how the other half of BWB is living.

Viserys and/or Aerys. Either one would be Cersei x 1000

Jorah - dripping with pathos and every other sentence would be mooning over Dany but he's still an interesting guy

Anyone at Greywater Watch - either Howland himself, Maege or Galbart

Ramsay - a true rollercoaster of terror

Aemon - a hundred years of history and introspection

I really like ASOIAF but I really do not like Martin's POV choices especially Clash of Kings and Beyond. Way too often he ends up giving us POV's of outsider/marginalized/passive characters and ends up telling us what's going on rather than showing. His POV choices are terrible, in my opinion. I like Sansa and Arya and Brennie and Catelyn and Bran and Sam and even Quentyn seems like a nice guy, but I don't need so many chapters from them. Mellisandre finally got a POV in ADWD and it was great to see. Stannis, Tywin, Robb, Loras, Magery, Renly, Vary's, and of course Littlefinger would make the story a lot more interesting. Even Joffery would have been interesting. I understand there may be a political point being made by picking some of these characters and by some of the storylines but it just is not as interesting as watching Stannis, Tywin, Robb et al. do things. Would you rather read about Sansa's misery or just how Robb won Oxcross? It's what I really like about Game of Thrones. I know some are upset with decisions made in the show but I love how we get to break free from Martin's POV characters. It's great ,and leads to some really good scenes such as Tywin Vs. Joffery pre Red Wedding and Littlefinger Vs. Varys.

I really like ASOIAF but I really do not like Martin's POV choices especially Clash of Kings and Beyond. Way too often he ends up giving us POV's of outsider/marginalized/passive characters and ends up telling us what's going on rather than showing. His POV choices are terrible, in my opinion. I like Sansa and Arya and Brennie and Catelyn and Bran and Sam and even Quentyn seems like a nice guy, but I don't need so many chapters from them. Mellisandre finally got a POV in ADWD and it was great to see. Stannis, Tywin, Robb, Loras, Magery, Renly, Vary's, and of course Littlefinger would make the story a lot more interesting. Even Joffery would have been interesting. I understand there may be a political point being made by picking some of these characters and by some of the storylines but it just is not as interesting as watching Stannis, Tywin, Robb et al. do things. Would you rather read about Sansa's misery or just how Robb won Oxcross? It's what I really like about Game of Thrones. I know some are upset with decisions made in the show but I love how we get to break free from Martin's POV characters. It's great ,and leads to some really good scenes such as Tywin Vs. Joffery pre Red Wedding and Littlefinger Vs. Varys.

What I really love about ASOAIF is that GRRM gives the voice to the outsiders and marginalized or victimized people, rather than the "big players", monarchs and traditional action heroes. It's what makes his writing special, rather than another cookie cutter fantasy series. One of the things I dislike about the show is that the showrunners are trying to do the opposite.

And now that you're asking, I would much rather read about Sansa's misery than about how Robb won Oxcross.

My only complaints about his choices of POV are why there aren't:

- any commoner POVs (with the exception of the prologues)

- any freefolk/wildling POVs (with the exception of a prologue)

- no POVs by natives of Essos; I'd especially love a POV by a freed slave or a slave

So, my wish list is pretty much the opposite of yours.

To me what makes Martin's world interesting is the plot/characters so not getting to see more of those characters and having the plot concealed simply because the POV characters are unaware isn't what I really like. But I understand that a lot of people feel differently. I am happy to have had Barristan, Melisandre, Connington, and Cersei join the POV cast

The other thing I don't like is the abundance of Ironborn Pov characters. One or two make sense. They can be somewhat interesting but it just seems to me like they add very little to the story. A pov or two keeps them from just being faceless villians. But I don't find them particularly compelling, sympathetic, or even interesting. The Dornish characters are interesting but the plot seems to be going nowhere, though perhaps the return of Ageon will make it matter. Quentyn was a nice guy but his death made the entire plotline pointless. Arianne's the same way though at least shes not dead and may help is learn more about Ageon.

I never really understood Robb so I would pick him. Also, maybe the Queen of Thorns or Mace Tyrell during the Purple wedding. An Aemon chapter would've been really interesting, but he's dead now. I hoping for a Lady Nym/Tyene or Boros Blount chapter for the next book. Maybe one of the lords/lady from the Vale, Mya Stone, or that brown haired plump girl "Alayne" was with when they came down from the Eyrie

And another personal favourite "Fire is the Champion of House Targaryen"

I know that is supposed to bring a devastating and awful image to mind... but I just want to laugh when I imagine the look on the Starks face.

"Fire is the champion of House Targaryen!"

".....shit."

...Am I a bad person for laughing? :leaving:

ETA: @OP I would have liked a Blackfish POV to see the Westerlands, a Loras/Margery POV to see Littlefinger winning the Tyrell alliance, some eyes in the Eyrie prior to Sansa and Petyr arriving

Aemon! He is a great old man, one of my favorite minor characters...

Margaery Tyrell: I would like to know how far she is involved with the game.

Tywin Lannister: maybe just a chapter or two, so we could know what he thinks of Joffrey, the incest story. maybe some memories of Joanna and Aerys

Robb. Certainly Robb.

Arthur Dayne, if we could go back in time.

Maybe Jyanna Reed

Tormund Giantsbane.

I'd like to a view of the wildlings from him, it wouldn't be a of a King or Leader but more of a 'right-hand man' like Davos.

Willas Tyrell, Margarery or Olenna. They might not be important but they would make for some nice prologues or epilogues.

I'd really have loved a few Tywin chapters.

I know there was one Melisandre chapter in ADWD, but I definitely want more from her.

I liked how PoV around Dany finally switched a bit when Barristan was around in ADWD, but I wish that could have happened a bit earlier with Jorah. It's just always interesting to get those more isolated storylines from a couple PoV's. I'd like to see Arya through someone else's eyes as well while progressing her own story, if even for 1 chapter.

I don't want her to die so soon but if it put Rickon into Davos care I might could be swayed

That's what I was thinking... She meets Davos, gives him Rickon then dies. Possibly some time after, so she can tell us more stuff. A TWoW with an Asha prologue revealing some sort of (G)NC would be great.

It'd be sad, I like her, but well... If Davos gets Rickon, she will probably lose her point, so it would actually be good for the character to get a PoV.

Archived