Characters You Love Even Thought You Know You Should Probably Dislike/Hate Them

Roose. He is the only "villain" I want to see getting away with his crimes. Besides I suspect GRRM probably hates him. He is the one character that commits the ultimate heresy for a writer: he burns a book.

Jaime has a lot of charm. I like him as a character but not as much as Theon, whom I love despite everything.

Roose. He is the only "villain" I want to see getting away with his crimes. Besides I suspect GRRM probably hates him. He is the one character that commits the ultimate heresy for a writer: he burns a book.

Jaime has a lot of charm. I like him as a character but not as much as Theon, whom I love despite everything.

i thought the ultimate heresy would be..I dunno... Breaking guest right and betraying his king

Roose was my answer, too. I hadn't thought of that problem for him, the book burning. I really am thinking that was more about code and/or some book he didn't want people looking at, more likely a code. I love the saying The Roose is Loose and I do want him to stay that way, or at least......make til almost the end of the series. He is really just so fascinating, and other than that, I also think I'd like to have a hint of what he was like before he took to having his passions bled from him, as Lady Dustin I think it was suggested, with all the leeches. May The Roose stay Loose as long as possible.

I don't hate Jaime at all, and don't think I should. I just didn't know him at first. I actually think it's kind of sweet how he's been faithful to Cersei his whole life, but I'm glad he's seeing her for who she really is. No, I don't condone or forgive him his crimes, but he's a far cry from being anywhere an unredeemable character. As he himself observed he wanted to be Arthur Dayne and somewhere along the way became The Smiling Knight, at least he sees it and is trying. Before anyone comes to tell me how horrible it was for him to have sex with Cersei next to his son's dead body, don't bother. Joff was a demon seed, and it doesn't bother me in the least, I'm glad that he learned something there and the beginning of the end of him and Cersei started to come clear for him.

Cersei.

Same as above posters, I like Theon and Jaime quite a bit but GRRM has written them sympathetically.

Come to think of it, how many characters are we really "supposed" to hate? GRRM has written all of them with some degree empathy, save maybe Ramsay, but even he clearly suffers from mental illness.

My guesses for those that we are supposed to hate would be The Mountain, most of The Bloody Mummers, of course Ramsey, but I think also, most of those that seem to be A-OK and written for hating aren't really written with the same depth. I'm sure I'm forgetting some people, those come to the top of my head right now.

Well, I like Lady Stoneheart. Should I hate her?

I hate the things she's doing, but I don't hate her, I pity her. I think someone needs to put her out of her misery, I'm thinking perhaps if she sees or finds out about any of her children being alive that she too might agree. I think someone who loves her will have to kill her, but I hope that she gets the comfort of finding out about some of all of her children are alive. Part of me thinks Arya needs to do it, but I wonder if LS gets enough info about her children, if Brienne killing her out of mercy might be the right thing.

I am going to be PISSED if she really killed Podrick, but I don't hate her. I might change my mind if she finds out about her children but continues her slaughter of anyone and everyone, regardless of age and circumstance. As of now, I don't think we're supposed to hate her, although I am sure some do. These books seem to give everyone someone to hate, I've yet to see a character spared, I don't think anyway.

Hmmmmmmm, anyone hate Wylla? That seems unthinkable, LOL

Archived