FIRE AND BLOOD!

Michael Seswatha Jordan

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," said Mirri Maz Duur. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

Interesting interpretation with the Quentyn as the sun coming from the west and dying in the east, the Dothraki Sea as going dry, and the destruction of the pyramids as mountains reduced to dust and ash. Dany then has her period while out there, and then a Khal returned to her.

That has never occurred to me before, though I'm not sure whether this is and actual prophecy or just Mirri Maz Duur's way of saying 'when hell freezes over'. Though perhaps it can be foreshadowing for Dany, once again, being at the head of a great Khalasar.

Well, as I remember in the Qarth, she was offered to be taken to Illyrio in Pentos...

I don't see why she should go back to Illyrio Blackfyre, the dude who sold her to a dothraki horselord and lied to Viserys about people supporting his claim in Westeros.

I don't see why she should go back to Illyrio Blackfyre, the dude who sold her to a dothraki horselord and lied to Viserys about people supporting his claim in Westeros.

She does seem to still look at Illyrio as a friend. When Pretty Meris tells Dany Tatters wants Pentos in exchange for their support, she turns them down out of loyalty to Illyrio. Which is understandable. He gave her the dragons eggs, and sent Belwas and Barristan to her.

Everyone keeps misreading the MMD prophecy.

The prophecy is: X->[A && B && C && D]

where X = Drogo returns

A = Sun rises on the west and sets in the east

B = mountains blow in the wind

C = seas go dry

D = womb quickens

And everyone reads it as: D->[A && B && C]

This reading is literally illogical.

Right, with a handful of Dothraki and three hatchlings. Not exactly Aegon the Conqueror come again.

Yes, but you also forget that Illyrio might have given her the army she needed at the time. The reasoning behind not trusting Illyrio is possibly good, but she was given the chance to head towards Westeros.

Illyrio Blackfyre? I am rather sure his surname is Mopatis. And if we are completely objective about it, it wasn't Illyrio who sold her, it was Viserys. As for her lies, well, it is not something unheard of. People constantly lie to monarchs about the support and love they get.

Yes, but you also forget that Illyrio might have given her the army she needed at the time. The reasoning behind not trusting Illyrio is possibly good, but she was given the chance to head towards Westeros.

But you also forget that Illyrio wasn't going to doaanything of the sort. She would have been wed to Aegon to serve as his consort. Given her claim is truly stronger than his the smart play would be to have her killed after Aegon's throne is secure. Martin has never given Dany the chance to return to Westeros on her own terms but she may be ready to make it happen.

Illyrio Blackfyre? I am rather sure his surname is Mopatis. And if we are completely objective about it, it wasn't Illyrio who sold her, it was Viserys. As for her lies, well, it is not something unheard of. People constantly lie to monarchs about the support and love they get.

So now you're defending Illyrio? He may not be a Blackfyre. And if Sansa or Arya ever have sons those boys will not be Starks. Even if Illyrio is not a descendant of Daemon Blackfyre his son or puppet surely is. And like Robb told Cleos he was a Lannister for siding with them Illyrio is a Blackfyre regardless of his last name.

But you also forget that Illyrio wasn't going to doaanything of the sort. She would have been wed to Aegon to serve as his consort. Given her claim is truly stronger than his the smart play would be to have her killed after Aegon's throne is secure. Martin has never given Dany the chance to return to Westeros on her own terms but she may be ready to make it happen.

OK, I am looking from the point of her POV, not omniscient POV. What Daenerys could have known is that Illyrio was the valuable ally who had his interest, but who was willing to help her. I agree with your point that she couldn't have returned on her own terms, but even now, we are facing possibility that her road to Westeros might not be all nice and dandy, and not exactly on her own terms.

So now you're defending Illyrio? He may not be a Blackfyre. And if Sansa or Arya ever have sons those boys will not be Starks. Even if Illyrio is not a descendant of Daemon Blackfyre his son or puppet surely is. And like Robb told Cleos he was a Lannister for siding with them Illyrio is a Blackfyre regardless of his last name.

I think his wife is descendent of Blackfyres given that male line of Blackfyres is extinguished. No, I am not defending Illyrio, but even with some bitter pills Dany would have to swallow in dealing with him (and TBH, she even swallowed some bitter pills throughout her campaign in Slaver's bay), she would be much closer to Westeros.

OK, I am looking from the point of her POV, not omniscient POV. What Daenerys could have known is that Illyrio was the valuable ally who had his interest, but who was willing to help her. I agree with your point that she couldn't have returned on her own terms, but even now, we are facing possibility that her road to Westeros might not be all nice and dandy, and not exactly on her own terms.

I think his wife is descendent of Blackfyres given that male line of Blackfyres is extinguished. No, I am not defending Illyrio, but even with some bitter pills Dany would have to swallow in dealing with him (and TBH, she even swallowed some bitter pills throughout her campaign in Slaver's bay), she would be much closer to Westeros.

Very logical but the coming Dance would not be as entertaining I think.

@Julian Rayne,

there's some more to it at the end, that I used to neglect, too. I'll redo your post below, including those bits:

Everyone keeps misreading the MMD prophecy.

The prophecy is: X->[A && B && C && D]
where X = Drogo returns
B = mountains blow in the wind
C = seas go dry
D = womb quickens
And everyone reads it as: D->[A && B && C]

This reading is literally illogical.

AGoT second last Dany chapter p.759:

The prophecy was: W1 when ( A and B and C and D and E ), then W2
where

W1 = He will be as he was,

W2 = then he will return

B = seas go dry
C = mountains blow in the wind like leaves
D = your womb quickens again

E = and you bear a living child

The E part has not yet been reached, as there was likely a miscarriage.

Unless it only looked like one (it happens in the real world, yes), and she is still pregnant.

Archived