Theon Chapter from Winds of Winder Corn Code Theory (SPOILERS)

Warden of the Cheesy

Again their are spoilers here so turn back if you want to wait for the book to hit shelves.

First off, let me just post the link to the chapter: http://archive.is/eoIl

Secondly, lets revisit the corn code: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/96129-corn-code-revision-8-the-game-of-thrones-exposed/

Here is what we are looking at:

"No more than he knows me."
"
Knows me," cried one of the ravens the maester had left behind. It flapped its big black wings against the bars of its cage.
"
Knows," it cried again.

This is Stannis saying the first sentence referring to "he" as Ramsay.

If you accept the corn theory as true, what do you think this means? If it is a part of the code it is really hard to decipher (imagine that, GRRM getting tricksy with us?), so I'd love to get some feedback on this. I think what is important here is the raven takes out "he" and then "me" could this forshadow the death of Ramsay followed by the death of Stannis? I'm just taking a shot in the dark with that and by no means find it to be completely accurate.

Also there are many other "codes," in the chapter. Whenever Theon's fate is mentioned we see some form of:

"The tree," one squawked, "the tree, the tree," whilst the second screamed only, "Theon, Theon, Theon."

I think this means he may be in danger of being beheaded by the weirwood nearby, but something will stop this from happening.

• 1 month later...

Also there are many other "codes," in the chapter. Whenever Theon's fate is mentioned we see some form of:

I think this means he may be in danger of being beheaded by the weirwood nearby, but something will stop this from happening.

Or it means Theon is about to confess in front of the heart tree where he cannot tell a lie...

• 4 weeks later...

in regards to the corn code, no i dont think it's real. i dont believe in looking at every comma, and every repetition for a hidden meaning.

however, i do believe the word "corn" is in fact soemthing the raven is trying to say. corn doesmean something more than just corn, i just dont believe in counting the amount of times it's said or the breaks in sentence to mean anything,

Is it possible that the crows, when they crow out "corn," are actually trying to call out "crown?"

I don't remember exactly, but it seems to me that most of the "corn" calls that happen around Mormont's raven, and the ravens of castle Black, usually call that out in Jon Snow's presence. I'd have to look at all the quotes, but I think at one point Mormon't raven even says "corn, corn, crown!"

If someone could clarify with quote, I'd appreciate greatly.

I've always found the "corn code" weird for 2 reasons:

1. If you observe regular ravens or if you look at any book about bird species, you'll see that their most famous vocalize is in 3 times "prruk-prruk-prruk". So why would it be surprising to have GRRM repeat the pattern for his own ravens?
  2. In ADWD, it is made clear that the raven are possessed by the spirit of a "singer" and that, in the past, ravens could talk and were not simply transporting parchment but would repeat the message. It was hinted that it was because the singers showed the first men how to communicated with the ravens. So what's happening is that I guess "corn" just means corn, the bird wants food. And for the rest, it is either a greenseer (Bran or Bloodraven) or a singer trying to communicate for example with Jon or Theon. But as ravens have lost the ability to speak long messages as they once did, the person who speaks through the raven can only cow a few words and not deliver longer messages. It is like when Bran sees Ned through the weirwood and he wants to talk to him but he notices he cannot speak because trees don't speak and all Ned hear is the wind. Same goes when Bran first flies a raven, he tries to speak through it but the only sounds the bird make are bird noises. This, to me, explains the speech of the ravens.

• 2 weeks later...

its hard to believe there is no Corn Code. My prime example is SATIN.

If you look closely at Satin's spoken words, specifically in A Storm of Swords, You see some very specific alterations in his speech which set it apart from all others. Off the top of my head example is when the nights watch is fighting off the wildling invasion from atop the wall and Satin yells out "Got him!", Satin shouted. "Got him, Got him, GOT him."

Why the capitalized GOT??? there are a lot if interesting things about Satin. very specific details. I believe Satin will have a bigger, more important role in the rest of the story. Possibly in helping save Jon, or Jons body, or maybe even becoming Lord Commander in Jons Absence. You heard it from me first

So, I posted the following over in the thread on the new paragraph that GRRM released, but predictably it elicited only "there is no Corn Code" responses. Since it has bearing on the Theon Chapter, thought I'd post it over here, in case people who like to play with the Corn Code have thoughts on what it suggests. It seems to me that there is reference to what is going on up north.

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:16 PM

Daemon Targaryen Uber Targ, on 03 Mar 2014 - 02:19 AM, said:snapback.png

So, using the Corn Code, so far as I understand it, with respect to this paragraph, we've got a clear major event code, likely involving the death of a major character. Possible clues in the surrounding text:

"somewhere off in the far distance." (we've also got "a long way" and "far beyond his own encampment") In Westeros?

"to the north" with Stannis? at Winterfell? at the Wall?

What about the "to horse"? Or "the dying man...screaming for his mother"? Anyone see clues there about to whom or to what this code might refer?

I don't mean to turn this into a big discussion of the Corn Code or whether it exists. Just thinking of ways to try to read this for clues. I mean, why on earth would GRRM release just one skimpy little paragraph, and one without too much to recommend it?

Archived