The Reveal of FAegon's True Identity

Fire Eater

I think I know who may help Tyrion piece together who Aegon really is: the Tattered Prince.

After Barristan is killed by Victarion along with Hizdahr, Victarion will be the one ruling Meereen before Dany comes back. The Tattered Prince will find that his price will not be met now that the man who promised it is dead, and if he broaches with Victarion, Victarion may refuse seeing he is focused on getting Dany and then bringing her to Westeros, and Tatters has already performed his service.

That is where Tyrion comes in. Tyrion will be giving Victarion the impression that he has been cowed into submission, but Tyrion will be gathering support under his nose. Tyrion may have a secret meeting with the Prince where they negotiate a deal. Tatter's price is being made Prince of Pentos. Of course one must ask, why does he want to become Prince of Pentos now when he rode off into exile when it was offered to him on a silver platter? That is a question Tyrion might ask. Tatters may reveal it was Varys and Illyrio's blackmail/threats that made him leave. Whether that is the case or not, Tyrion may ask him what he knows about the Varys and Illyrio.

Tatters reveals that he has been keeping tabs on Pentos for a long time. He may reveal that Illyrio's wife, Serra, was Varys's sister and it was rumored that she was related to Maelys the Monstrous, she was a member of House Blackfyre. I think he may also mention that Illyrio and Serra had a son who perished with his mother when the grey plague hit Pentos a decade ago.

It may be at this moment or sometime later that Tyrion realizes that Illyrio's son didn't actually die, but is the Aegon he encountered on the poleboat and currently pressing his claim in Westeros.

seriously can we have one thread where people don't call the poor kid Faegon i mean seriously come on.

It is plausible, but it seems to presume too much way too much especially on tyrion but alas if true then kudos to you.

Honestly though i believe this is one of the topic that will be left ambiguous especially with martin being an advocate of "no one a story will tie up all loose ends" thats a matter of perspective, but whatever. Sadly i feel he will leave this topic as such just to divide fans in an endless debate (genius i tell you).

You presume too much in my opinion, but still, all you need is the Tattered Prince and Tyrion (two likely survivors of the battle at Meereen) in the same room, and Tatters will mention wanting Pentos and a bit of truth about Illyrio and Varys might just slip out.

Of course one must ask, why does he want to become Prince of Pentos now when he rode off into exile when it was offered to him on a silver platter? That is a question Tyrion might ask. Tatters may reveal it was Varys and Illyrio's blackmail/threats that made him leave.

Didn't he just want to leave because he knew that being the Prince of Pentos is just ceremonial and was eventually going to mean his "sacrificial" death? I think he just didn't like that and wants to end it, and actually rule Pentos.

The OP has hit on one mark I'm really curious about, The Tattered Prince and the Pentos deal. In one breath we have what is basically hearsay, I think?, that Tatters left Pentos when elected to the position of Prince. We know from our own observations of Tatters negotiations with Quentyn and company that Pentos is the price he wants for any extravagent help for the Westerosi nobility who keep coming to him with outlandish schemes. I want the answer to this somewhat contradictory question, being elected Prince and wanting Pentos for himself now.

I do think the whole idea of Illyrio and Varys running him out of town (or the City of Pentos) sounds like a great possibilty. I don't think Tatters just ran for his life, the idea of the Princes of Pentos getting murdered isn't a required part of the job......that only happens if they really screw it up, according to Illyrio's convo with Tyrion. Look how long The Tattered Prince has run a sellsword company himself, he seems quite competant, why should he have feared botching the job in Pentos so bad he would die? It's a job that would last only a year, it doesn't make sense that he can run a sellsword company for how many decades, but feared to be Prince of The City for one year?

As for the rest, I have no idea, but I really hope Victarion doesn't kill Barristan, I'd rather it be the other way around. All we really do need is for Tyrion and Tatters to spend some time together, it'll get the ball rolling on the Aegon issue and perhaps, on lots with Illyrio and Varys. Wouldn't it be interesting if what Tatters wants is to clean Pentos up, the entire system there, this longterm game of Illyrio's may not have been a good thing for Tatter's City. We know how rich Illyrio is, he's up to his golden twirled beard in all kinds of things, maybe Tatters just wants to free his city from the Magistrars?

The Pentos link is a good catch as there's definitely something going on and Tatters is indeed in position to shed some light into Illyrio's background - much needed light, as after five books, we are but beginning to learn about the motives of the two manipulators affecting the lives of our heroes to such an extent.

Well I like it. It seems just like something that could happen in the books, and of course in fantasy there are many chains of events that lead to conclusions, however unlikely they may seem at the start of said chain.

I for one definitely think Tyrion will be the one to uncover Aegon's true identity, however it may happen. This may well be the catalyst that causes Daenerys to finally leave for Westeros, a culmination of her epiphanies in the last chapters of ADwD and the sure to come events regarding Jhogo (?).

We know he wants Pentos, and we know that he is described as ''sad-eyed''. Why else, if not because of something in his past? It seems very plausible that it would be his loss of Pentos that caused him to be thus.

From what we know of Varys and Illyrio, it is completely within character for them to have done such a thing to someone.

Interestingly, his appearance is so purposefully ordinary that if he were to remove his tatters, he would be inconspicuous. Strange for a commander of a mercenary group, but not so for someone who learned a harsh lesson from Varys and Illyrio.

I mean, about TTP knowing about Illyrio's and Varys schemes and being run out by them.

seriously can we have one thread where people don't call the poor kid Faegon i mean seriously come on.

It is plausible, but it seems to presume too much way too much especially on tyrion but alas if true then kudos to you.

Honestly though i believe this is one of the topic that will be left ambiguous especially with martin being an advocate of "no one a story will tie up all loose ends" thats a matter of perspective, but whatever. Sadly i feel he will leave this topic as such just to divide fans in an endless debate (genius i tell you).

Then what will Dany and Tyrion have to work with to believe that Aegon is fake?

Dany will have to have a valid reason against Aegon to start the second Dance.

Since I believe that Serra is a Brightflame and Illyrio a BF I can't agree with this (I also have issues with the death of Barristan) :P

I also think I have a better explanation for the Tattered Prince's (=tTP) wish to aid Dany and Tyrion, which you could certainly use in your theory as well. I believe that tTP tale about why he left the city was true, but I think his hate of Illyrio can be explained by something that happened after he left.

Illyrio's first wife was the daughter to a cousin of tPoP IIRC. I think tTP will reveal that she was either his kin (like the child of a favorite nephew) or more likely the girl he loved before the merchants made him Prince. and that he believes that Illyrio killed her to make way for Serra (added insult since the girl he loved would have been murdered to make way for a common whore).

I have been following some of the topics on forum fire eater you are good.there are several that stand out mlladen buttercups .cant even remember all of great comments I kinda wish yinz an im serious I will buy your books.collaborate.simple wonderful ideas to things that are gonna happen in the story.

I think tattered prince is the one who will fill in the blanks.is it possible from the past .isn't aegon5 got a son out there an I find it funny that only 2 targs lefdt in world .an how they keep popping up. I am believer jon will play role of peacemaker between aegon and danny. if he is blackfrye mayb they all come together as one family. I like things for the imagination.lol

Great job Fire Eater, this is solid. Dany does have the whole 'slayer of lies' prophecy going for her, and finding out the truth behind those lies is, if not essential, extremely important. Tyrion would have all the information necessary to piece together the truth about fAegon after meeting with the Tattered Prince. If Dany learns the truth about fAegon before she reaches Pentos, this is how it will go down. Now it's all up to Vic to make it happen.

Interesting, FE. That's not a bad idea at all...

Also, is there foreshadowing of Barristan's death that I missed? If so, could someone please point me in the right direction?

He would give half his teeth for the chance to try his axe against the Kingslayer or the Knight of Flowers.

Jaime and Loras are both members of the KG, I think Victarion will fight Barristan

[quote“It’s like Baelor Breakspear and Prince Maekar, the hammer and the anvil. We have them! We have them!”]

Given that Maekar ended up eventually killing Baelor Breakspear, this comparison might not presage positive future relations between Barristan and Victarion.

He would give half his teeth for the chance to try his axe against the Kingslayer or the Knight of Flowers.

Jaime and Loras are both members of the KG, I think Victarion will fight Barristan

Gosh, I'd rather have it the other way round :-(

Dany will have to have a valid reason against Aegon to start the second Dance.

I think she has reason enough as it is -- she can remember the mummer's dragon.

While the Tattered Prince angle is interesting (even though I agree with others that you rely on way too many assumptions and what-ifs) and something might come of it, at this point I'm comfortable guessing that we will never objectively know whether Aegon is real or fake. Some people will think he's real, some will think he's fake, and he'll die without it ever being explicitly settled. That seems quite like something GRRM would do.

I think you can take it to the bank that he's a fraud, but that's not quite the same as it being objectively spelled out in the story. And the more I think about it, the more I think GRRM will use him and discard him without ever settling the question.

Gosh, I'd rather have it the other way round :-(

Me too

I think she has reason enough as it is -- she can remember the mummer's dragon.

While the Tattered Prince angle is interesting (even though I agree with others that you rely on way too many assumptions and what-ifs) and something might come of it, at this point I'm comfortable guessing that we will never objectively know whether Aegon is real or fake. Some people will think he's real, some will think he's fake, and he'll die without it ever being explicitly settled. That seems quite like something GRRM would do.

I think you can take it to the bank that he's a fraud, but that's not quite the same as it being objectively spelled out in the story. And the more I think about it, the more I think GRRM will use him and discard him without ever settling the question.

I think it will be explicitly revealed at least to one character (my guess is Arya posing as one of Varys's little birds), otherwise how else are we going to be surprised that Blackfyres have actually been active this whole time when we had been deceived into thinking them long dead?

Even the events do go as described above, and Tatters left Pentos for reasons besides Varys and Illyrio, I think Tyrion likely will meet with Tatters since he needs his swords, and Tyrion may ask him what he knows about Illyrio and Varys, thinking every little bit of info helps. I think Tatters may at least mention that Illyrio had a son with Serra, and that would explain the boys clothes given to Tyrion. Tyrion may figure out from there that Aegon is actually Illyrio's son and Varys's nephew.

Archived