The black tomcat with the chewed off ear...

Alistair's Pantaloons

What is this cat's significance? He remains alive while so many have died. He gets more character development than the three dragons. He has appeared in significant places before significant people, including Arya, Sansa, Tywin Lannister, and King Tommen. Is he being warged by someone to spy on the goings on in the Red Keep? Is the cat the same poor beast belonging to Princess Rhaenys, Balerion? Was it revenge for Rhaenys' death that he stole Tywin's food during a feast? Is this cat a secret Targ? Or is it just a tough old cat that Martin feels like throwing in there for shits and giggles?

The cat is definitely Balerion, and there's at least decent reason to think that the animal is being skinchanged by Bloodraven or someone. For instance, it has a definite hatred of Lannisters, and I'd argue that it led Arya to where Varys and Illyrio were talking; the intel she got was good, it's just that Ned had no good reason to believe it. As for its significance, how about this — the cat was alive during the Sack, and may have seen quite a bit that night. Including, say, whether or not the real Aegon was actually slipped out.

What I do not believe is that Princess Rhaenys is having a "second life." There's no reason at all to think she would have been a warg.

The thing that pretty much convinced me it was being warged, and probably by Bloodraven, was something I noticed about Mormont's raven;

Jon’s solar was back beyond the racks of spears and shields. He was reading a parchment when Sam entered. Lord Commander Mormont’s raven was on his shoulder, peering down as if it were reading too, but when the bird spied Sam it spread its wings and flapped toward him crying, “Corn, corn!”

“The bad cat?” Ser Kevan said, amused. He is a sweet boy. “An old black tomcat with a torn ear,”
Cersei told him. “A filthy thing, and foul-tempered. He clawed Joff’s hand once.” She made a face. “The cats keep the rats down, I know, but that one … he’s been known to attack ravens in the rookery.”

Syrio Forel describes Balerion as being pretty much the apex predator in the Red Keep. He's so bold he snatches food from Tywin Lannister's hand, and is clever and swift enough to defy humans. Of all the cats, mice, rats, birds and kitchens in the Red Keep, you have to imagine this old cat really has his run of the place, and doesn't have to work very hard at all to catch or steal food.

So why would he bother going all the way up to the Rookery for ravens? Why, unless he's there for something that isn't food.

The thing that pretty much convinced me it was being warged, and probably by Bloodraven, was something I noticed about Mormont's raven;

Syrio Forel describes Balerion as being pretty much the apex predator in the Red Keep. He's so bold he snatches food from Tywin Lannister's hand, and is clever and swift enough to defy humans. Of all the cats, mice, rats, birds and kitchens in the Red Keep, you have to imagine this old cat really has his run of the place, and doesn't have to work very hard at all to catch or steal food.

So why would he bother going all the way up to the Rookery for ravens? Why, unless he's there for something that isn't food.

You're blowin' my mind, danm! I never made that connection before!

Why would the cat go to the rookery? Live prey. Cats like living things to torture play with. It doesn't mean that in this case the cat is playing some oddly significant role in the game of thrones.

As for being Balerion, I imagine that Amory killed the poor kitten right in front of Rhaena, because that's the sort of asshole thing a sadist like that does. It's probably just some NPC cat.

Honestly, we have more than enough Cats coming back from the dead in this story already.

Why would the cat go to the rookery? Live prey. Cats like living things to torture play with. It doesn't mean that in this case the cat is playing some oddly significant role in the game of thrones.

There's no lack of live prey in the Red Keep that's more accessible. The place is riddled with rodents. The Godswood would be lousy with birds.

As for being Balerion, I imagine that Amory killed the poor kitten right in front of Rhaena, because that's the sort of asshole thing a sadist like that does. It's probably just some NPC cat.

Even if you don't believe the cat's being warged, I'm about 95% sure that GRRM has confirmed, at least heavily implied, that it is the same cat as Rhaenys's kitten. It's not just any old cat.

Was the cat there when the children wre killed? Would it be able to say if Aegon really died?

The way it's written, it seems clear that the kitten was in the castle at the very least the night of the Sack. I'm not saying it definitely saw whether Aegon got out or not, but for people trying to find a way for the cat to be significant, it's a possibility.

It is just a cat that what put into making it more interesting nothing more but hey why we are at it lets call the dam thing the next nights king..................

But it's not just a cat, that's the point.

It is just a cat that what put into making it more interesting nothing more

did GRRM tell you this or are you just making it up? oh right, yep, making it up

"That’s the real king of this castle right there … Older than sin and twice as mean. One time, the king was feasting the queen’s father, and that black bastard hopped up on the table and snatched a roast quail right out of Lord Twyin's fingers. Robert laughed so hard he like to burst. You stay away from that one, child." - random gold cloak '#228373

I think its pretty obvious the cat is Balerion, but whether or not hes being warged by BF or is Rhaenys 'second life' i have no idea, i'll guess the former, because its pretty cool to think that BF his still has his thousand eyes and one inside the red keep

Was the cat there when the children wre killed? Would it be able to say if Aegon really died?

It's not necessarily the cat itself who would bear witness but whoever was watching through his eyes.

And when I say 'bear witness' I don't mean in a court of law.

Archived