Aegon at ToJ

finger

I actually read that portion of TPatQ to mean that Varys could have smuggled Elia, Rhaenys and Aegon out of the castle and city if he wanted to. Instead, he claims to have only smuggled out the baby, which is convenient for a couple of reasons: 1) what Gregor did to Aegon's skull, and; 2) it will be much easier to pass off a fake Aegon several years down the road than a fake Elia or Rhaenys.

Honestly, I think that passage from TPatQ is just one more coffin in the Aegon is real arguments

Assuming the switch was done before the sack (which I do) then it was important for Elia, Aegon, & Rhaenys to maintain appearances. Varys was a Targ loyalist and they needed Dorne (who was being blackmailed into helping), Elia would be interested in getting whoever she could to safety. So he may have only switched Aegon because that was the only one who could be switched unnoticed. Also we don't know exactly how long they were passing the "pisswater boy" off as Aegon, people may have just thought that baby was Aegon if they saw him dead later (if he hadn't gotten his head crushed).

Assuming the switch was done before the sack (which I do) then it was important for Elia, Aegon, & Rhaenys to maintain appearances. Varys was a Targ loyalist and they needed Dorne (who was being blackmailed into helping), Elia would be interested in getting whoever she could to safety. So he may have only switched Aegon because that was the only one who could be switched unnoticed. Also we don't know exactly how long they were passing the "pisswater boy" off as Aegon, people may have just thought that baby was Aegon if they saw him dead later (if he hadn't gotten his head crushed).

No, they all could have fled across the Narrow Sea. Elia was basically being held hostage after Rhaegar died. She didn't need to keep up appearances.

No, they all could have fled across the Narrow Sea. Elia was basically being held hostage after Rhaegar died. She didn't need to keep up appearances.

In the few days between The Trident and the Sack, yeah Varys could have tried to get them out. But I don't see the switch as a spur of the moment thing: "Rhaegars dead, NOW i'll switch the babies". It was probably a contingency plan put into effect i'm guessing either when or soon before Rhaegar returns from the ToJ, and at that point Varys still needed Elia and Rhaenys in KL.

In the few days between The Trident and the Sack, yeah Varys could have tried to get them out. But I don't see the switch as a spur of the moment thing: "Rhaegars dead, NOW i'll switch the babies". It was probably a contingency plan put into effect i'm guessing either when or soon before Rhaegar returns from the ToJ, and at that point Varys still needed Elia and Rhaenys in KL.

A better contingency plan would have been to help Elia, Rhaenys and Aegon escape KL. And we know from TPatQ that a Master of Whisperers whose name ends in -arys has the ability to help members of the royal family escape the RK and KL.

So I am working up a theory that the in-universe moon is made from cheese? There is nothing I can find in the books that proves it wrong, so I should go with this as a full thread, right?

Do. You can add it to my "Flying Spaghetti Monster did it" thread. Nothing to disprove it, so it must be true.

So I am working up a theory that the in-universe moon is made from cheese? There is nothing I can find in the books that proves it wrong, so I should go with this as a full thread, right?

“You are foolish strawhead slave,” Irri said. “Moon is no cheese. Moon is god, woman wife of sun. It is known.”

“It is known,” Jhiqui agreed.

:P

Archived