Shitmouth and Arya

Mithras

Shitmouth is one of the Mountain's Men but Arya did not put him to the death list. That was because

Though the one they called Shitmouth had the foulest tongue she had ever heard, he'd give you an extra piece of bread if you asked, while jolly old Chiswyck and soft spoken Raff would just give you the back of their hand.

And Arya likes foul language.

Cat knew the Braavosi words for mussels and cockles and clams, but along the Ragman’s Harbor she cried her wares in the trade tongue, the language of the wharves and docks and sailor’s taverns, a coarse jumble of words and phrases from a dozen languages, accompanied by hand signs and gestures, most of them insulting. Those were the ones that Cat liked best. Any man who bothered her was apt to see the fig, or hear himself described as an ass’s pizzle or a camel’s cunt. “Maybe I never saw a camel,” she would tell them, “but I know a camel’s cunt when I smell one.”

When you are weak and caught up between bullies, you have to show some ferocity (although you may be not like that) or those maniacs consider you weak and exploit you. That was what Shitmouth did, through the foulest language, he tried to show that he got a pair too. Or else, he could have been used the same way as the maester in Victarion’s ship or simply his throat would be slit.

Arya showed a similar reaction as well. For the fear of becoming a mouse again, she acts like a willful beast. She denies everything that may make her look weak or incapable. It took a long time for the kindly man to take that attitude out of Arya.

Yes!! The Shitmouth appreciation thread I've been waiting for!! How about his streak of brutal honesty?

"Do you command here?"

"Me? Shit, no, M'lord..."

"Did you send men after them?"

"No, m'lord. Fuck us all, we never did." "I never much liked Polly, that shit...'

No one wanted to tell. Finally, Shitmouth lowered his eyes, and muttered, "Rotted Ser. And et. ...the whoreson 'ud slobber when we fed him..."

"Land, ser?" Shitmouth spat. "Piss on that. If we wanted to grub in the bloody dirt, we could have bloody well stayed home...."

Shitmouth, a man of unflinching honesty!

Yes!! The Shitmouth appreciation thread I've been waiting for!! How about his streak of brutal honesty?

"Do you command here?"

"Me? Shit, no, M'lord..."

"Did you send men after them?"

"No, m'lord. Fuck us all, we never did." "I never much liked Polly, that shit...'

No one wanted to tell. Finally, Shitmouth lowered his eyes, and muttered, "Rotted Ser. And et. ...the whoreson 'ud slobber when we fed him..."

"Land, ser?" Shitmouth spat. "Piss on that. If we wanted to grub in the bloody dirt, we could have bloody well stayed home...."

Shitmouth, a man of unflinching honesty!

Probably the most honest character in the book. Or I'm just biased because I love his character. Long live Shitmouth.

Eggon and Tobbet, I think?

But it's unknown if Eggon and Tobbot are still alive. Same with Joss Stilwood, Gregor's squire during the tounrey of the hand. The three of them are referenced by chiswyck in the tale about raping the innkeepers daughter, but that gruesome tale took place before the War of the Five Kings. It's fully possible that all three of them were dead, making Shitmouth the only one among the Mountain's Men that were not on Arya's list despite being both named and alive. Or perhaps I'm wrong? WHo knows...

FormerlyVaramyrSixchins, on 22 Dec 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

Long live Shitmouth! Stannis fans call themselves all sorts of things. I'm open to suggestions as to what the Shitmouth fandom can go by. Bugger-Spearians? Bread Sharers?

If Sansa fans are lemoncakes then maybe Shitmouth fans are shitcakes. Or shitloaves? Pinching a loaf is a euphemism for pooping isn't it?

If Sansa fans are lemoncakes then maybe Shitmouth fans are shitcakes. Or shitloaves? Pinching a loaf is a euphemism for pooping isn't it?

Whatever is decided it needs to be both honest and vulgar to do the man justice.

Long live Shitmouth! Stannis fans call themselves all sorts of things. I'm open to suggestions as to what the Shitmouth fandom can go by. Bugger-Spearians? Bread Sharers?

How about the buggers? Or Shitters?

Just passed Shitmouth's finest moments with Jaime on a re-listen today, I love the guy. His foul language could very well be a coping mechanism, that's a valid point. WRT Arya in Braavos, I have always wanted to know how exactly do you "show someone the fig". Like it's probably some kind of hand gesture but how is it done?

But it's unknown if Eggon and Tobbot are still alive. Same with Joss Stilwood, Gregor's squire during the tounrey of the hand. The three of them are referenced by chiswyck in the tale about raping the innkeepers daughter, but that gruesome tale took place before the War of the Five Kings. It's fully possible that all three of them were dead, making Shitmouth the only one among the Mountain's Men that were not on Arya's list despite being both named and alive. Or perhaps I'm wrong? WHo knows...

Jaime beheaded one of them for raping Pia. Later at Maidenpool, Tarly beheaded one of them and gelded the other. Eggon was the one who attacked the inkeeper's daughter and started the gang rape. I have to check but he might be either dead or gelded.

Jaime beheaded one of them for raping Pia. Later at Maidenpool, Tarly beheaded one of them and gelded the other. Eggon was the one who attacked the inkeeper's daughter and started the gang rape. I have to check but he might be either dead or gelded.

Neither Eggon or Tobbot are mentioned again by name after that chapter containing Chiswyck's story.

Joss Stillwood, Gregor's Squire, is mentioned by Qyburn in AFFC, though not by name. Qyburn tells Cersei he questioned Gregor's squire about his master's health issues, to which Joss tells him about Gregor's extreme headaches and excessive use of milk of the poppy to dull the pain. This means he's the only man at arms of Gregor to accompany him to King's Landing, while the rest were with Jamie and Red Ronnet prior to arriving there at the end of ADWD.

It kind of confuses me why Arya never put them on her list to replace the obscure (and pointless) Dunsen, especially considering they did much worse to definitely deserve a spot.

Shitmouth rightly wasn't targeted, even by childish Arya (before her gradual maturity) because even she recognised he was only the Mountain's man because of house loyalties, not because he enjoyed or reveled in the looting, foraging, raping and killing other men like Raff or The Tickler did.

Neither Eggon or Tobbot are mentioned again by name after that chapter containing Chiswyck's story.

Joss Stillwood, Gregor's Squire, is mentioned by Qyburn in AFFC, though not by name. Qyburn tells Cersei he questioned Gregor's squire about his master's health issues, to which Joss tells him about Gregor's extreme headaches and excessive use of milk of the poppy to dull the pain. This means he's the only man at arms of Gregor to accompany him to King's Landing, while the rest were with Jamie and Red Ronnet prior to arriving there at the end of ADWD.

It kind of confuses me why Arya never put them on her list to replace the obscure (and pointless) Dunsen, especially considering they did much worse to definitely deserve a spot.

Shitmouth rightly wasn't targeted, even by childish Arya (before her gradual maturity) because even she recognised he was only the Mountain's man because of house loyalties, not because he enjoyed or reveled in the looting, foraging, raping and killing other men like Raff or The Tickler did.

Gregor's squire is mentioned several times over the series, not just by Qyburn, but it's unknown if that squire is the same as the one who raped the innkeepers daughter. Ser Gregor had a tendency to get into hairy situations after all, always doing the dirty work and being on the frontlines. He also killed his own men sometimes. Still, even if it is Joss, which is very possible, not saying it isn't, it didn't seem like Arya knew his name, making him rather unimportant to her. The ones who were important enough for her to take note of were Ser Gregor Clegane, Polliver, Rafford, Chiswyck, Dunsen, Shitmouth, and the Tickler. All of them except Shitmouth were bad enough to get on her list.

Also, the reason why Dunsen is on the list... well it was Gendry's helmet, just like Needle was Arya's sword. Arya cared for her sword deeply, which was why she put Polliver on the list when he took it, and Gendry seemed to care for his helmet just as much. And Arya cared for Gendry, so she kinda serves as some form of hatred by proxy for him.

Aye, Raff is a sadist, Chiswyck is vile, Polliver and Dunsen are rather horrible, and the Tickler is fucking frightening as hell, but Shitmouth merely did what he was told to do it seems. Doesn't absolve him of all the shitty things he did, the standard rape, pillage and burn of the Mountain's men, but he's a bit more sympathetic. And a great deal funnier.

• 4 months later...

Archived