What could be the important spoilers in She-Wolves of Winterfell?

Mithras

I think he just didn't have The She Wolves finished, and didn't wanna delay Winds to finish it in time for Dangerous Women. He had just written all this stuff for the world book, and decided to use part of that to fulfill his obligation.

Hodor's ancestors, young old Nan, which houses the Stark women married into, which houses have previously married into House Stark, Boltons getting up to no good, something being hidden in the crypts, more complete telling of the long night and last hero tales, Bael the bard and blue rose symbolism. All things which could potentially spoil asoiaf.

I think the She-wolves of WF would shed light on these two visions:

1) A pregnant woman swimming out of the pool to kneel and pray to the old gods for a son to bring her vengeance: This is an unknown story, but it seems to fall somewhere between the years 215 and 290, very roughly. Could this be Bran’s grandmother, or great-grandmother? We’ve no idea, other than her surely being a Stark.

2) A slim young woman kissing a knight as tall as Hodor: This is certainly Ser Duncan the Tall, and we’ll almost certainly see this scene in Martin’s novella for the Dangerous Women anthology, which he has said deals with the “She-wolves of Winterfell”, a number of Stark women who held power and influence in his time.
2) is easy, it will just confirm that Dunk and Old Nan used to have a thing for each other and that Dunk is probably Hodor's ancestor.
1) is trickier. I believe (and this is pure speculation) that she might be Rickard Stark's (Ned's father) mother. I believe she might serve as an antagonist to D&E in the She-Wolves of WF. It would be nice (and very compeling I might add) to see a Stark in the villain role gor once and I don't think there is any scenario (a bunch of Stark widows and mothers vying for whose child get's to be the next lord) better suited for introducing one.
If she discovers who Egg is in the end she might swear vengeance on House Targaryen, which would tie in nicely with Rickards Southron Ambitions (he would be indoctrinated by his mother, it might even help to further explain Brandon's reaction after hearing of Lyanna).
On top of that we'll get a bit more worldbuilding. More info on the Skaggs, the Boltons, the Ironborn, Raymund Redbeard. And perhaps some other cool members of House Dustin (and some other houses which haven't done much like Cerwyn)

Stark family tree might not only be interesting, but might explain a lot of the situation we inherit in GoT. What I particularly hope for is at least a hint of what made Lyanna and Arya tick and why Sansa is either not a she-wolf or a particular kind of she-wolf. (Example: maybe she has the gene but it's recessive.) And maybe Ned's civilised outlook and restraint might be explained by the matriarchs and his mother, not just the influence of Jon Arryn and the family tragedies Ned had to deal with.

Some people digged the Stark family tree and missing details with great success. I can only think of Eddard's mother or maternal grandmother etc. but how important could such a knowledge be? For me, important spoilers about Starks should be about "There must always be a Stark in WF", things forgotten in WF but remembered in Neck, crypts beneath the WF etc. These might have a significant effect on the grand narrative of ASOIAF.

Stark family tree might not only be interesting, but might explain a lot of the situation we inherit in GoT. What I particularly hope for is at least a hint of what made Lyanna and Arya tick and why Sansa is either not a she-wolf or a particular kind of she-wolf. (Example: maybe she has the gene but it's recessive.) And maybe Ned's civilised outlook and restraint might be explained by the matriarchs and his mother, not just the influence of Jon Arryn and the family tragedies Ned had to deal with.

Bran's flashback doesn't tell us about personalities and it was farther back in time but the women made me think of Arya.

One Stark woman emerges from the water and asks for vengeance. The other Bran sees men he remembers from the crypts (so Starks) and one woman is white haired and slits their captive's throat. She could have been a Stark too.

Stark family tree might not only be interesting, but might explain a lot of the situation we inherit in GoT. What I particularly hope for is at least a hint of what made Lyanna and Arya tick and why Sansa is either not a she-wolf or a particular kind of she-wolf. (Example: maybe she has the gene but it's recessive.) And maybe Ned's civilised outlook and restraint might be explained by the matriarchs and his mother, not just the influence of Jon Arryn and the family traits

What tick? Martin tried to make the families personalities as varied as possible. You know like in real life. You only hear about one Stark woman basically when we first meet Arya. Lyanna which doesn't give us much to go on. Arya was also very much a family.duty, honor person. Lyanna probably not as much. Hell, Ned and his siblings seem very varied. I wonder if we had got an entire book of them before meeting now Ned if people would think that Ned wasn't the true Stark or if he had some "recessive" gene because we have wild and willful Brandon and Lyanna.

Arya is only family to me of the family duty honor. Which is weird because I think the current Tullys are among the worst when it comes to family. Lya's behavior, Cat doesn't seem close to her siblings, Hoster makes his child get an abortion.

Arya isn't dutiful but you have Starks who were. Ned was and while Brandon was wild he was going to marry Catelyn and be lord.

She has some honor but she's not honorable like her other family members.

If it does come out before WoW, I'd hope it sheds more light on the season of winter as a whole. All we really can base our knowledge on is Old Nan's bedtime stories and the Northern lord's conversations about it, IE winter store provisions, children and the elderly dying. I'd like a more complete picture as to House Stark's role in winter, as the leaders and liege lords of north; and furthermore what exactly is possible during winter...

By that, I mean is it possibly to: travel freely? wage war? communicate effectively? The Starks and the north in general have placed so much emphasis and mystic about winter it strikes me as odd we don't really know that much about how it affects the north.

Some people digged the Stark family tree and missing details with great success. I can only think of Eddard's mother or maternal grandmother etc. but how important could such a knowledge be? For me, important spoilers about Starks should be about "There must always be a Stark in WF", things forgotten in WF but remembered in Neck, crypts beneath the WF etc. These might have a significant effect on the grand narrative of ASOIAF.

I think it would just be tame if something that will be (something of) a major spoiler in TWOW (and something which resulted in Davos' arc being ended in the first half of ADWD) is revealed in a book that (let's be honest) not all ASOIAF read.

I also don't think that Stark lineage will be the only reveal in TSHWOW, but it is one I think will be prominent. I also think that there is something in the background of the Skagosi rebellion that suggests that there was something beyond simple "rebellion".

I hope She-Wolves puts this Skagosi-grandmother theory to bed. Seriously, it's not supported by anything except the fact that nobody ever says "hey these people are Eddard's cousins on his mother's side" and people think it seems cool.

It's the most logical match in terms of recent timeline, and also provides a valid and plausible reason for Osha and Rickon to have gone to Skagos.

Archived