Jaime's Stump

Mithras

Is GRRM obsessed with the word stump or will Jaime's Stump have a deeper symbolism or great importance in the next books? Otherwise, I cant see why GRRM mentions it half a hundred times.

No, soon after Jaime Lannister sheds his despicable reputation and becomes Ser Jaime Goldenhand the Great, his stump will become a Great Stump, and all the Ogier from the Wheel of Time will gather around it and debate endlessly whether to participate in the War against the Shadow, or remain safe inside the steddings.

Whoops, wrong series and I've had too many mimosas already.

Aemon said:

Kill the boy and let the man be born.

and as Jaime said:

That boy had wanted to be Ser Arthur Dayne, but somewhere along the way he had become the Smiling Knight instead

So losing the hand was his *killing the boy* moment in order to the man Jaime Dayne be born.

I regret nothing! :D :P :D

“Are there any terms you will accept?” he demanded of the Blackfish.

“From you?” Ser Brynden shrugged. “No.”

“Why did you even come to treat with me?”

“A siege is deadly dull. I wanted to see this stump of yours and hear whatever excuses you cared to offer up for your latest enormities. They were feebler than I’d hoped. You always disappoint, Kingslayer.”

[Cersei] “Get out, I said. I am sick of looking at that ugly stump of yours. Get out!”

It might be understandable if Jaime is obsessed with his stump all the time. But other characters are messing with it too. There is also the stump of Tyrion's nose.

“A siege is deadly dull. I wanted to see this stump of yours and hear whatever excuses you cared to offer up for your latest enormities. They were feebler than I’d hoped. You always disappoint, Kingslayer.”

[Cersei] “Get out, I said. I am sick of looking at that ugly stump of yours. Get out!”

It might be understandable if Jaime is obsessed with his stump all the time. But other characters are messing with it too. There is also the stump of Tyrion's nose.

That has to be some of the best dialogue in the series, I hope these lines make it to the TV show. I thought of the 'dumb as a stump' joke, but it seems that was mentioned upthread. I would think the reason that the word stump is used alot in relation to Jaime and his maiming is because....it's the easiest, quickest, and almost only way to describe it, in one word.

This.

And what else should it be called? The place where his hand used to be?

Yeah, not a lot of synonyms for an amputational stump. :dunno: It just is what it is.

Not everything is symbolic :P Sometimes a stump is just....a stump.

What the others said, he lost his sword hand. Also, Cersei doesn't like it.

Cersei recoiled from his stump.

Jaime pushed her away with the stump of his right hand. “No. Not here, I said.”...

"Oh, an angry cripple."

“His stump, you mean.” She remembered him now. He had come with Jaime from Harrenhal.

He pushed away from her and raised his arm, forcing his stump into her face. “A Hand without a hand? A bad jape, sister. Don’t ask me to rule.”

Cersei glanced at where the sleeve of her brother’s white silk tunic had been pinned up over his stump.

She gave him a withering look. “And have you fumbling at me with that stump? No. I will let you fill my wine cup for me, though. If you think you can manage it without spilling.”

Get out, I said. I am sick of looking at that ugly stump of yours. Get out!

“Ser Jaime is at his armorer’s being fitted for a hand. I know we were all tired of that ugly stump.”

“Get out.” She turned her back to him and listened to him leave, fumbling at the door with his stump.

“Are you deaf as well as maimed? You’ll find the door behind you, ser.”

Again, I think if someone gets their hand cut off, its only a matter of time before their enemies and even friends make fun of it. Even their wife would be bound to make the occasional comment, like Lucy making fun of Ricky's accent. They'd probably be nicknamed Stumpy before too long. Of course Blackfish was going to bring up the stump, he was aiming blows at every hurtful point.

By the way, I think Blackfish thought it just possible that Jaime might have been going to keep his promise about Sansa and Arya, that's one reason he did agree to meet.

Jaime had a prophetic dream after he left Harrenhal while he slept on the stump of a Weirwood tree. That is the most significant stump thing I can think of regarding Jaime. Otherwise it just seems to be a word that needs to be used to describe where his hand used to be.

Archived