Targaryens are Albinos

King of Vaes Tolorro

I don't know if this topic has been discussed before, but I am going to put it out there. I think the Targaryen, and the Valyrians, are actually a group of albinos who kept the mutation in their genetics by interbreeding. Their pale skin and hair are proof of this. Stronger proof is their eyes. Naturally, only albinos have violet, or purple eyes. In every other scenario, the person is most probably wearing eye contacts. Also, more proof is the interbreeding. The other families and ethnicities of Martin's world do not practice interbreeding to maintain their purity, nor do they need to. Certainly the Baratheons and Tully's don't. Yet the Targaryens hold onto it firmly and when they don't interbreed, their children, like Rhaenys and Rhaego (Daenaerys vision) don't have Targaryen looks.

I don't really think so.

If for example Dany was an albino the time she spent traveling with the Dothraki under the sun would have turn her skin to pieces. Albinos have no pigment and so they have no defenses against the sun. Half an hour to an hour under the sun and you'd get water bubbles, more than that you'd get second degree burns.

True, but then again, albinos,(or anyone for that matter) can walk into an inferno, stay until it burns itself to ashes, and not be ashes themselves. Magic, my friend, magic

Please, not another Targs are fireproof post.

Bloodraven is an actual albino and he looks different from other Targs (he has the blood if not the name).

Yes, but red eyes, pink eyes, and purple eyes are all albino traits. Silver hair is very close to white hair, it can be mistaken in the lighting. Also, isn't Daenery's fire proof? Or did I miss the fire eater trick?

No, the Targs including Dany aren't fireproof. GRRM has confirmed this. The pyre was a one time miracle.

So they aren't fireproof. But they can tame dragons and do all kinds of cool stuff, Resisting heat stroke maybe one of those cool stuff. the targaryens may not be TRUE albinos, but I think they have a form of albinism.

That's can be true, but it's unlikely. However, there are many different types of albinism, there are actually albinos who have dark skin but have ocular albinism.

Yes, but red eyes, pink eyes, and purple eyes are all albino traits. Silver hair is very close to white hair, it can be mistaken in the lighting. Also, isn't Daenery's fire proof? Or did I miss the fire eater trick?

Not this again! :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Dany isn't fire proof, the Targs aren't fire proof. No one is fire proof. The end.

Soooooooooo Liz Taylor was an Albino?

Dany isn't fire proof, the Targs aren't fire proof. No one is fire proof. The end.

Hey there Consort, calm yourself girl. I ceded that point a while back on this thread. Okay, no fire proof, now please try to refute my other points. Are they a family with a form of albinism or not?

What is there to refute?

We know from the books that the only albino with Targaryen blood is Bloodraven. We also know for the books that Ghost is an albino and might Ghost of High Heart is also an albino.

Targaryens have been described as light skinned, something that for me is close to Nordic people, not albinos.

also

I don't really think so.

If for example Dany was an albino the time she spent traveling with the Dothraki under the sun would have turn her skin to pieces. Albinos have no pigment and so they have no defenses against the sun. Half an hour to an hour under the sun and you'd get water bubbles, more than that you'd get second degree burns.

this.

Dany walked into a fire and came out alive. She may not be fire proof, but she is badass like that. Also, she may not be a RUE albino, I ceded this also, but a form of albino.

Soooooooooo Liz Taylor was an Albino?

She had a rare condition, a rare amount of melanin in her. Albinism can be just ocular, as it may have been for her.

No, Targaryens are not albinos and their looks are actually pretty tenacious when they marry outside the family, i.e. :

Daeron II married a Dornishwoman, but at least 2 of his sons had the trademark appearance, Viserys II married a Hightower as his second wife, but his son Aegon II inherited his looks, Princess Rhaenys "The Queen Who Never Was" had a Baratheon (!) mother, yet looked like a typical Targ, etc. I would argue that Valyrian looks are actually dominant.

And yes, iRL blond/blue-ish eyes is recessive, but Planetos isn't Earth and just because humanity didn't produce a dominant fair eyes/coloring mutation in the 40 K years since we left Africa doesn't mean that one would be impossible. Just that it didn't happen.

OP has a good point. The valyrians lived in a area called Land of Always Summer. That being said, you'd think that climate would have a dark skin people due to nature taking its course. But, that's not true of them. My opinion, the inter-bred to keep the blood "magic" strong. There is clearly sumn going on. That being said I agree with others that their not albino. But the "magic" has sumn to do with it.

Dany walked into a fire and came out alive. She may not be fire proof, but she is badass like that. Also, she may not be a RUE albino, I ceded this also, but a form of albino.

George_RR_Martin: Granny, thanks for asking that. It gives me a chance to clear up a common misconception. TARGARYENS ARE NOT IMMUNE TO FIRE! The birth of Dany's dragons was unique, magical, wonderous, a miracle. She is called The Unburnt because she walked into the flames and lived. But her brother sure as hell wasn't immune to that molten gold.

Dany was unburned because it was blood magic that protected her. In the series she gets skin burned and she has blisters.

Once again, the author explicitly say that there is only one Targ Blooded albino, Dany is not the one.

Archived