New Theory on the Three Heads of A Dragon

Mithras

TLDR version

This is a dragon in Targaryen sense (i.e Aegon the Conq, Rhaegar,etc.). This dragon will need two more heads to accomplish his/her destiny: Warrior Head and Smith Head. Warrior Head is associated with fire and the Smith Head is associated with ice. Warrior Head kills and destroys, Smith Head heals and creates. A balance between Warrior and the Smith heads must exist. Here are some dragons and their heads:

Visenya (Warrior) - Aegon I - Rhaenys (Smith)

Criston Cole (Warrior) - Aegon II - Larys Strong (Smith)

Daemon Targaryen (Warrior) - Rhaenyra - Corlys Velaryon (Smith)

JonCon (Warrior) - fAegon - Leyton Hightower (Smith)

Victarion (Warrior) - Dany - Tyrion (Smith)

Mance (Warrior) - Jon - Val (Smith)

Long version

“That is the house of the Great Shepherd. Three-headed Trios has that tower with three turrets. The first head devours the dying, and the reborn emerge from the third. I don’t know what the middle head’s supposed to do. Those are the Stones of the Silent God, and there the entrance to the Pattern-maker’s Maze. Only those who learn to walk it properly will ever find their way to wisdom, the priests of the Pattern say. Beyond it, by the canal, that’s the temple of Aquan the Red Bull. Every thirteenth day, his priests slit the throat of a pure white calf, and offer bowls of blood to beggars.

The dragon has three heads: Father, Warrior and Smith. The text suggests the three head of the dragon assuming the roles of Father (middle head), Warrior (Devouring head) and the Smith (creating/making/producing/healing head). Silent God is Father. Pattern-Maker is Smith. Aquan the Red Bull is Warrior.

I think three triarchs of Volantis were originally chosen such that each one would assume the role of Father, Warrior and Smith.

Warrior is the devouring head associated with fire (Rhlorr).

R’hllor was a jealous deity, ever hungry. So the new god devoured the corpse of the old, and cast gigantic shadows of Stannis and Melisandre upon the Wall, black against the ruddy red reflections on the ice.

Devan fed fresh logs to the fire until the flames leapt up again, fierce and furious, driving the shadows back into the corners of the room, devouring all her unwanted dreams.

Drogon especially ranged far afield and could easily devour a sheep a day.

I am looking into hell, but I dare not look away. She had never been so certain of anything. If I run from him, he will burn me and devour me.

Of Daenerys Targaryen, no trace had been found. Some swore they saw her fall. Others insisted that the dragon had carried her off to devour her.

“She is gone. Burned and devoured.”

Hizdahr licked his lips. “The beast devoured Barsena’s flesh. Dragons prey on men. It was killing, burning …”

“A ship gone down, and only him clinging to the wreckage,” said Wulfe One-Ear. “Where’s the crew? Did he call down demons to devour them? What happened to this ship?”

“A storm.” Moqorro crossed his arms against his chest.

He [Varamyr] died his first death when he was only six, as his father’s axe crashed through his skull. Even that had not been so agonizing as the fire in his guts, crackling along his wings, devouring him.

Haggon would call it an abomination, the blackest sin of all, but Haggon was dead, devoured, and burned.

I think what Haggon considers abomination is the falling to the twisted ways of Warrior (fire) whereas skinchanging should base on the ways of Smith (unification with nature, a CotF thing).

I think Victarion (Aquan the Red Bull) may not die and become Dany's Warrior head. He now has a smoking arm which further enhances his involvement with fire and the ways of Warrior. And Tyrion (pattern-maker) will be her Smith head.

As for Jon, I think Mance already became his Warrior head. I used to think it might be Stannis but he will fake his death (or die). Mance also had involvement with fire (Mel's ruby, or that wildling woman sewing his cloak with a red silk from Ashai). Since Jon's fight will be in North (mostly), Mance is the best. And Jon's Smith head will be Val. She already show her pattern making abilities by finding Tormund. Tormunds said she was too clever for the likes of Jon and Tormund.

Victarion embraced fire same as Dany.

Yet when she slept that night, she dreamt the dragon dream again. Viserys was not in it this time. There was only her and the dragon. Its scales were black as night, wet and slick with blood. Her blood, Dany sensed. Its eyes were pools of molten magma, and when it opened its mouth, the flame came roaring out in a hot jet. She could hear it singing to her, She opened her arms to the fire, embraced it, let it swallow her whole, let it cleanse her and temper her and scour her clean. She could feel her flesh sear and blacken and slough away, could feel her blood boil and turn to steam, and yet there was no pain. She felt strong and new and fierce.

The arm the priest had healed was hideous to look upon, pork crackling from elbow to fingertips. Sometimes when Victarion closed his hand the skin would split and smoke, yet the arm was stronger than it had ever been.

I think this is an oversimplification of how the elements are described by GRRM and thought the series. Fire isn't always bad - Ice isn't always good.

I did not claim fire is bad and ice is good. Fire is destructive and ice is creative. You need both of these at the same time. Going only for single element leads you to failure. The head in the middle is supposed to unite both extremes and balance them. This may be one of the meanings of A Song of Ice and Fire.

• 3 weeks later...

This "Trios" analysis is damn good and new to me. So basically the 3 heads of the Dragon could end up devouring themselves, or at least one could devour the others? This reminds me of Tyrion's dream when he realises he has two heads, one crying for having killed Jaime - and somewhere in the picture one dragon is flying...

Archived