Jack Reacher

dbunting

Any readers here who have read the Jack Reacher books? I have just started and have read two of them, The Enemy and Killing Floor. I chose the Enemy to read first since it is a prequel. The series was recommended to me by a friend, who has also read ASOIAF, as being a good series.

So far to me it seems like a much simpler read with easier plot lines. I finished the two books and I like them well enough, but they just don't seem as well written as similar types(Jason Bourne, Alex Cross etc..)

DO they get better or pretty much stay as they are?

I'll tag this topic since I'm only in the middle of the first book. I'm enjoying it so far. At the very beginning I thought the writing was terrible, but I quickly realized that the voice fits the narrator.

My question: Does the story build throughout the series or are the books completely episodic? I think the Dresden Files, for example, did a great job of what seemed to initially be a "monster of the week" series into something much more complex and epic. How does this series compare?

From what I have read of them, they seem to be more episodic than a a deeper story line. They do seem to follow a similar formula that wears thin with me. If you do like them though, I would recommend John Sandford's Prey series, with Lucas Davenport.

I've read all of them, because they're fast reads and I have a lot of free time in the summers. I didn't read them in order, and I honestly can't remember which one is which. They pretty much keep the same episodic formula, although the most recent few actually had a slightly overarching plot in which Reacher goes searching for someone. I think the writing is OK, doesn't try to be anything fancy. There was a good interview with Jim Grant (Lee Child) in Grantland last year that made me want to keep reading simply because of the author's backstory.

The movie was kind of awful. Tom Cruise was not the right actor for the part.

I've read almost all the Jack Reacher books--the hero is an ex-army officer, who wanders around small-town America, setting things to rights, almost like a modern-day Duncan the Tall. Yes, the stories are somewhat formulaic, in that Reacher is given an almost unsolvable problem/mystery, which he then sets about solving. And yes, the stories are plot-driven, since most of the stories are on a very brief timeline. However, he does try to get to Virginia in the later books, because he wants to meet a woman he spoke to in 61 Hours. The stories are worth a read, since Reacher has a very definite sense of right and wrong, and he's not the kind to let sleeping dogs lie.

I have also read them all and in a order, though that's not necessary 'tll 61 Hours, and after that it's helps (a little) or adds to read them in a order...anyway as said: episodic formula, but a quick reads. There's is something about in Childs style, especially on those that have been written in a first person pov, thats make these 'page turners'. The characters is the main draw, and Jack Reacher grows older with the books (though subtly); there are couple books that happens in the past, before the wandering days. Best of the bunch are: Without Fail, Persuader, The Enemy, 61 Hours and The Affair. For my money, even the worst Reacher book is not time wasted.

I have read them all and I like them fairly well. Some are better than others, naturally, even though they are fairly consistent in tone. I think I like them because Reacher isn't tortured or conflicted by 'what he must do' or anything like that. In a way it's refreshing to read a character like that.

I've read most of them. The earlier ones are better. The formula is wearing thin. Child attempted to inject something a bit new into the books by having Reacher get interested in the person who took over his chair back in his member of the military days. But Child seems to be afraid to have them meet; Reacher traveling to get to her is a mcGuffin by now. He's doing all the same stuff he always did. Some Reacher back story has been revealed in the latest volumes as part of injecting some needed fresh energy, but -- well formulas do wear out.

• 1 year later...

I've done all the Jack Reacher series, along with several other series...but I've done most as an Audiobook. I'm not into music and talk radio gets old...my commute to/from work can take an hour each way so the Audiobook has become a staple of my drive. I typically get my Audiobooks from my local library.

Jack Reacher series is easy to read/listen to and with a somewhat predictable story...but I find it enjoyable.

It is the type of book that you could zone out on (I've found myself reading, turning pages but I didn't remember the last 3 pages) but not really lose any of the story; whereas with the Bourne series (original Trilogy as those are the only ones I have read) you cannot miss anything or you'll be confused later in the book.

The Reacher books are good fun, IMO. I usually try to get one or two to take with me on trips, because the writing style is easy to read. Like Kat said upthread, the movie was shit because Tom Cruise was not Reacher, regardless of what Lee Child says.

The Reacher books are good fun, IMO. I usually try to get one or two to take with me on trips, because the writing style is easy to read. Like Kat said upthread, the movie was shit because Tom Cruise was not Reacher, regardless of what Lee Child says.

I agree completely that the movie was shit. I would have preferred an unknown to play Reacher...and have the size right or close to right.

• 2 weeks later...

The movie was fine. Divorce your expectations from the book's portrayal of the demi-god like Reacher.

It was a pretty good adaptation of ONE SHOT.

Cruise had the interest, the Hollywood Clout and ability to secure financing to get the movie made.

It wasn't near as bad as Tyler Perry as Alex Cross. Not by a long shot.

Archived