Catelyn's Deathbed Reconciliation With Jon

Tywin Manderly

Actually it is. Eventually everything that happens in Westoros will revolve around Jon, including Cat's story.

In the beginning of the story Jon was a bastard destined live out his life in obscurity at the Wall.

Fast forward five books, Jon has become one of the most important and powerful man in the North. He is the Lord Commander, defacto leader of thousands of Wildlings, forms personal, political and economic alliance with Stannis and Iron Bank. By marrying Alys Karstark to a wildling, he creates Northern bannerman who are loyal to him personally. Finally there is a will making him heir to King in the North.

In an attempt to strengthen the Nightwatch against eventual attack by the Others, Jon inadvertently created his own personal fiefdom, a House of Snow if you will, that rivals any House in the realm. Add in the eventual revealing of R+L, Jon becomes a direct threat to Iron Throne as much as Dany and her Dragons will.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is just as everything in the North has begun to revolve around Jon, eventually every character in the book will eventually have to deal with Jon, including Brotherhood without Banner which Cat is the leader.

So question for me is how will that happen and in under what circumstances.

If Jon is going to be King of Everything, he still has a lot to learn. Judging from the state he left the NW in, he would be as good a King as his grandfather.

I don't know how the whole series can be clsimed to be all about Jon. There are multiple storylines, some of which have no impact whatsoever on Jon (Arriane crowning Myrcella for example, or Brienne searching for Sansa). After reading these books over and over, I can honestly say that there is no single character that the series is about. In the end the series is about multiple people, multiple storylines, some of which (i believe at least) will never converge

The only way I could ever see Cat reconciling with Jon was if she learned that he was Ned's nephew and not his son. People sometimes can and do soften in their older years as they near death. The benefit of hindsight can lead people to see that perhaps they were wrong or too harsh. However I could not imagine Cat relenting without some kind of revelation.

As for UnCat it would be a bit schmaltzy to have her realize that her hatred of Jon in life was totally misplaced. I would much rather that she at least learn that only Robb actually died and the rest of her children lived. But if her sole purpose for the rest of the series is to track down and kill Freys I'd be totally down with that too!

You know, I kind of like Cat. But, I also like John.

But, I don't think there would have been any reconciliation between the two. I think the best resolution would be for John to simply not give a shit about Cat or her opinions.

The saddest part wasn't that Cat said "It should have been you." For me, the saddest part was that John was dumb enough to believe she was going to say anything pleasent. He should have just walked off saying "screw you" under his breath, after she said "John".

Basically.

This is a little too -fanfic-

:agree:

Though my heart would love it I just don't like it cuz it's not in her character at all and GRRM doesn't write that way. He writes the stuff that entertain you and make you want to curl up and cry for 3 days while listening to Skrillex.

Why should they reconcile? This isn't that kind of story. UnCat isn't even really Cat so Jon not being Ned's bastard son would mean nothing to her. Why does she have to say sorry to Jon? Did Ned or other people?

Ned never did anything wrong to Jon. In fact he sacrificed his own honor (which was everything to him), as well as some happiness in his marriage, in order to keep Jon from being killed. He then raised him as part of his family against his wife's wishes.

She would have reason to apologize to Jon because she, a grown woman, emotionally abused him - an innocent child - for no good reason, to the point that he wanted, at age 14, to run off and join a monastery in the Arctic just to get away from her. Not only that, but she then literally FORCED him to do so, since she was kicking him (a true Stark) out of his own ancestral home the minute Ned left for King's Landing. She was an awful, awful person.

But there could be no 'reconciliation', because the definition of 'reconcile' is "restore friendly relations between." There was never anything between these two that could be restored. She was a monster to him from the first. And I strongly doubt he'd want anything to do with her or her apology, had it ever come.

Catelyn, like her similarly vapid and evil daughter Sansa, was fundamentally a snob. The one scene I'm sorry we never got, or will never get, is of Catelyn and Sansa finding out Jon Snow is 10x more highborn than either of them, besides being 10x better and 10x worthier a person. I'd also love to have seen Catelyn's reaction to finding out her kids are comparatively lowborn and not necessarily the true inheritors of anything.

I'm a big believer that this will happen, but not in the form of an actual conversation with Cat on her deathbed. My theory is that she will give life to Jon the same way Beric Dondarrion gave life to her. Admittedly, its not the most pure way for Jon to be resurrected, but its one of the most likely options for me. I know I'm very much in the minority here, but I'm sticking with it.

I'm a big believer that this will happen, but not in the form of an actual conversation with Cat on her deathbed. My theory is that she will give life to Jon the same way Beric Dondarrion gave life to her. Admittedly, its not the most pure way for Jon to be resurrected, but its one of the most likely options for me. I know I'm very much in the minority here, but I'm sticking with it.

OMG, this will never happen! Cat would never want to do anything of the kind and Jon will most likely not need a kiss. It would change him too much and he'd loose who he was which renders all his experience and learning moot.

I'd also love to have seen Catelyn's reaction to finding out her kids are comparatively lowborn and not necessarily the true inheritors of anything.

This is not true. Jon not being Ned's son would make her happier than anything else because her children would now be safe from any troubles with inheriting Winterfell, as is their right.

Ned never did anything wrong to Jon. In fact he sacrificed his own honor (which was everything to him), as well as some happiness in his marriage, in order to keep Jon from being killed. He then raised him as part of his family against his wife's wishes.

She would have reason to apologize to Jon because she, a grown woman, emotionally abused him - an innocent child - for no good reason, to the point that he wanted, at age 14, to run off and join a monastery in the Arctic just to get away from her. Not only that, but she then literally FORCED him to do so, since she was kicking him (a true Stark) out of his own ancestral home the minute Ned left for King's Landing. She was an awful, awful person.

But there could be no 'reconciliation', because the definition of 'reconcile' is "restore friendly relations between." There was never anything between these two that could be restored. She was a monster to him from the first. And I strongly doubt he'd want anything to do with her or her apology, had it ever come.

Few things are more entertaining on this boards that the ramblings of clueless Cat haters.

Catelyn didn't force Jon to do anything, he volunteered to go to the Wall on his own, reason being he had no clue about the actual state of the NW.

"She was a monster to him from the first" - ROFL. She ignored him and gave cold looks. How monstrous.

Catelyn, like her similarly vapid and evil daughter Sansa, was fundamentally a snob. The one scene I'm sorry we never got, or will never get, is of Catelyn and Sansa finding out Jon Snow is 10x more highborn than either of them, besides being 10x better and 10x worthier a person. I'd also love to have seen Catelyn's reaction to finding out her kids are comparatively lowborn and not necessarily the true inheritors of anything.

Utter nonsense. Neither of them are vapid at all and Catelyn was much less of a snob than most high nobles, or even Jon before he joined the NW.

10x more highborn? Even if Rhaegar and Lyanna were actually married (far from certain), when Jon was born, the Targs had lost the throne, so he's way less highborn than Cat or Sansa.

You also seem to not understand how inheritance works in Westeros. Lyanna's kids comes after Ned's in the succession order.

Cat haters seem to be out in force all of a sudden. I think if Cat figures out who Jon really is she will have a guilt trip worthy of frequent flyer mileage. She has treated him as a second-class person since his birth, even praying for his death in infancy. She did this largely because he looks more like Ned than any of her kids with him and partially because he was a tangible reminder of Ned's "infidelity" on a daily basis. And Sansa is somehow a snob? Really?

Cat haters seem to be out in force all of a sudden. I think if Cat figures out who Jon really is she will have a guilt trip worthy of frequent flyer mileage. She has treated him as a second-class person since his birth, even praying for his death in infancy. She did this largely because he looks more like Ned than any of her kids with him and partially because he was a tangible reminder of Ned's "infidelity" on a daily basis. And Sansa is somehow a snob? Really?

Gods how I hate that scene-it was show only. She never prays for baby Jon to die.

I don't think she would reconcile with Jon under any circumstance and I think that's just fine.

I like the fact that she's not perfect and that she has an irrational hatred for Jon. (irrational in the sense that she should be angry at Eddard and not Jon since Jon really can't be blamed for the matter)

It makes her somewhat flawed just like everyone else and to me that makes her more realistic. Nobody's perfect and even Catelyn should have certain elements to her that you should dislike.

Archived