Will House Greyjoy become extinct?

Lord of Dragonstone

Theon - castrated, and doesn't have any children that we know of due to his escapades in his youth.

Euron - Has some "mongrel" children but even he admits they aren't fit to carry on his line, and it's doubtful the Ironborn would follow them anyways. He plans to marry Daenerys, but who actually thinks that's going to happen, and even if it does Daenerys is probably infertile.

Damphair - a Priest, so can't marry/have children

Asha - Probably has a good chance of eventually settling down with someone and having children, although whether they'd be considered Greyjoys is up for debate.

Victarion - Never got over losing his first wife and doesn't show any inclination to try and have a son with which to continue his line. Might also try to marry Daenerys but again it's extremely unlikely he has any children by her even if he does force-marry her after killing Hizdahr.

Anyways, what do you think? Will House Greyjoy be extinct or almost extinct by the end of ASOIAF?

Theon - is it confirmed that he's castrated? Anyway, it's likely he had at least two kids (now dead) so it's highly possible he could have more, given how randy he was. The captain's daughter on the way to Pyke is just one example.

Euron - Mongrels aside, IIRC Daenerys menstruates near the end of ADWD, not that I think it's likely they'll ever hook up.

Aeron - vows can be put aside, and I am unsure as to whether he would be willing to do so to continue House Greyjoy.

Asha - best bet as far as I'm aware, and I think she would probably rule in her own right and name and leave the father out of it.

Victarion - seems like a dead-end to me too. No more likely than Euron to have an heir.

It's strongly implied Theon's been castrated and the show(Ducks for cover!) pretty much confirms that as well. If he does have any kids, we haven't heard of them, and there would need to be pretty strong evidence for them to be able to continue his line

I can't imagine Aeron putting aside his vows, even if the Drowned God Religion allows that.

I'm sure if Vic or Aeron become King they will try to continue the line. If Theon hadn't been castrated in the books, i'm sure GRRM would have said something by now, he is quite vocal on the fact the Khal Mago is killed in the show and is still alive in the books. I am sure he would have said something about Theon, given he is a POV character. With the book implying he is, the show showing he is (I dont think GRRM wanted to write a torture scene from the POV of the person being tortured) its fairly safe to say that he has been castrated.

Asha would be the best bet. I am not sure if Harras the Knight or Andrik the Unsmiling are married, but they would be the best people for Asha to marry. Having two of the best ironborn warriors beside you would help secure her claim.

The show is not a valid source of reference for the books. It's perfectly plausible that they would castrate him for shock value even if he goes on to have kids in the books (unlikely), because whether or not House Greyjoy is still in existence at the end of the series is one of those small things they can change without it affecting the main plot.

Offhand I believe in one of Theon's POV it mentions how he lost his fingers as well as "that other thing" And when Ramsay tells Theon to get Jeyne ready for him Theon says something like "but I don't have..." until Ramsay clarifies he meant with his mouth.

As FVR said, is he celibate?

In any case, if Stannis can get Jon off the wall and legitimised, then a King can do the same to Aeron. Also bear in mind that at some point, Aeron could very well be the heir to the Seastone throne.

Every other religion in ASOIAF's clergy appears to be celibate. While in theory Aeron might renounce his priesthood to claim the seastone chair and/or father heirs, it really doesn't seem like something Aeron would do.

If Theon hadn't been castrated in the books, i'm sure GRRM would have said something by now, he is quite vocal on the fact the Khal Mago is killed in the show and is still alive in the books.

Considering that Martin wrote ep7 of season 3 where Theon seems to loose his bits, I think he's pretty much OK with it. To me the hints in the books are pretty much indicative that he did in fact loose his favorite toy, as the show later explicitly puts it.

If Aeron actually became the heir to the Seastone chair and the only remaining Greyjoy would he be like "well, hey, if the Drowned God wishes me to be king and continue the line then I guess I have to go find me a wife, so sad..." or "My house dies with me, the Drowned God wills so"? :(

There could be a distant relative somewhere, like Harold Harding in the Vale. Maybe we'll find out that Quellon Greyjoy had a sister or a cousin whose descent would inherit Pyke if all Greyjoys perished.

Asha had a cousin with her in Deepwood Motte, but that one is no longer able to continue the Greyjoy line. Could be there are other cousins as well though. Can't be sure as how close this guy was to the main branch, I think sometimes they use the term cousin very freely in ASOIAF.

A bush drove at her with a spear long enough to punch through her belly and Qarl’s back as well, pinning them together as they died. Better that than die alone, she thought, but her cousin Quenton killed the spearman before he reached her. A heartbeat later another bush killed Quenton, driving an axe into the base of his skull.

I hope not.

There could be a distant relative somewhere, like Harold Harding in the Vale. Maybe we'll find out that Quellon Greyjoy had a sister or a cousin whose descent would inherit Pyke if all Greyjoys perished.

IIRC there is.

Asha's casualness about her young cousins Quenton and Dagon 'the Drunken' implies to me that they were not crucial surviving cadets but two of a multitude. I reckon saltwives and so on have left Greyjoys and Pykes alike ten a penny.

(I typed Greyjokes there at first. I love the Ironborn but suspect this freudian slip may strike a certain chord)

The show is not a valid source of reference for the books. It's perfectly plausible that they would castrate him for shock value even if he goes on to have kids in the books (unlikely), because whether or not House Greyjoy is still in existence at the end of the series is one of those small things they can change without it affecting the main plot.

Actually, this is probably more valid than other things. GRRM wrote that episode.

Even on first reading, I thought it pretty clear that Theon was castrated. I think Theon and the three uncles will end up dead, but Asha has a good shot at surviving. Since she was not ruled out for Kingsmoot, it seems she would have been an acceptable choice. All she has to do is marry and have a few kids, which she'll name Greyjoy. If the Iron Isles are under a Northern king who she had helped, it will be acceptable to him (her?) as well.

Archived