4 ugly imps rapeing a beautiful woman

ToTheWolves

I know this has more than likely been discussed but I just finish reading this part again today in clash if kings when Dany is in the house of the undying. I just wanted to know did(do)we ever find out what the vision of the 4 ugly imps rapeing a beautiful woman foreshadowed or meant? I've heard a couple theories I was just wondering if there was a definite answer to what it was.

• 3 weeks later...

The five Kings minus one is a popular theory but I am not sure.

The servitors in the House of the Undying are clearly rat-like to me rather than being just imps. The House of the Undying is the House of the Dead to most who enter so naturally it is inhabited by rats. Those who go by the front door never leave and even for those who know the side door there are visions and temptations designed to make them forget the rules and enter a room, after which they will never leave and their life will feed the Undying.

To me this sight could not be neither an illusion (like the illusion of Willem Darry in one room was a vision designed to tempt Dany); nor a vision (like her vision of the Red Wedding); but a glimpse of some woman who has been foolish enough to seek help in the House of the Undying and entered a room and ended up with a hideous fate. Just before Dany and her Dragon start to bust up the House of the Undying, the Undying have descended on her and are starting to nuzzle and feed on her, too.

The other possibility, since Dany sees things that have happened, or will happen, in Westeros, is that this is a vision symbolising Cersei prostituting herself to keep the Throne and the four rats could be the Kettleblacks and Lancel. The reason for the mental leap to Cersei is not just that she is a beautiful woman but because at one point she has a dream that she is chained in a dungeon and Tyrion is gnawing at her nipple, as one of the servants is in this dream. Also, someone on the Homages and References thread relates this vision to a Norse myth about Freya, who heard that the dwarves had made a beautiful golden collar, which she desperately wanted, and they made a deal that they could sleep with her in exchange for the collar, whihc fits Cersei's behaviour.

So, I know this idea isn't very neat but its interesting, I think.

It's pretty damn obvious that this is what it symbolizes. There isn't a single more obvious metaphorical scene in the entire series than this one.

Easy, girl... He agrees with you

A while ago, I expanded this a bit with connection with Nordic mythology and Tolkien. This is piece from my Ice and fire animal project: Stags thread

When it comes to Norse mythology, Martin proves to be impressive symbolist. The only known story about stags in Norse mythology, originated from the poem Grímnismál, part of Poetic Edda, is the one of four stags nibbling the branches of the World Tree Yggdrasil. The stag names are: Dáinn, Dvalinn, Duneyrr and Duraþrór. And now we come to the interesting part. Two, out of four stags, are also names for dwarves – Dainn and Dvalinn. They were also used in Tolkien’s opus, where Dwalin was one of 13 dwarves Bilbo joined in the quest, and Dain is the cousin of Thorin Oakenshield, and will eventually become King under the Mountain. But, in Martin’s world, these stag/dwarves remind us on the very powerful vision Daenerys had in House of the Undying:

In one room, a beautiful woman sprawled naked on the floor while four little men crawled over her. They had rattish pointed faces and tiny pink hands, like the servitor who had brought her the glass of shade. One was pumping between her thighs. Another savaged her breasts, worrying at the nipples with his wet red mouth, tearing and chewing.

The most popular and widely-accepted belief is that the woman represents Westeros in entirety and that four rat-faced little men (dwarves) are 4 remaining Kings – Stannis and Joffrey Baratheon, Robb Stark and Balon Greyjoy. So, two of these dwarves represent stags, just as in Norse mythology two of the stags are named with the dwarfs’ names. Naturally, positive symbolism of four stags, including those two is perversely changed to be fitting for cruel world of Westeros.

• 2 weeks later...

Four Warlocks left Qarth to pursue Dany. Their ship was captured by Euron crow eye. Euron killed one of the warlocks and fed his corpse to the other three. However, Euron himself has quaffed enough Shade of the Evening to turn his lips blue. So, we have four servants of the House of the Undying now in Westeros. Euron appears to be a Tywin Lannister type with fewer morals and less restraint. Still not sure who the beautiful women is, but I think this is the meaning of the vision.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived