Deadwood

The Monkey

" I got to meet him, Wu. The San Francisco cocksucker, I have got to meet him. "

That's the most beautiful scene I've ever seen on TV.

Seriously though, Deadwood is one of my all-time favorite shows and whenever I watch it, I feel terrible because its cancellation. Goddamn it, HBO.

WTF was HBO thinking when they cancelled that show? Completely, without a doubt, the best writing ever.

I mean, the way it ends DOES suck, but Deadwood can totally be admired for the journey and not it's destination. Where else are you going to hear such sublime dialogue recited by such fine actors?

Alas. I loved hearing Al's conversation with the indian head.

What is the bigger tragedy, deadwood not getting a movie? Or entourage getting one?

What? That's a bit of a stretch, although I'm not a good judge since Entourage never interested me enough to bother watching even one episode.

In life you have to do a lot of things you don't fucking want to do. Many times, that's what the fuck life is... one vile fucking task after another.

Best line ever.

I love almost any Al line (or soliloquy). I also loved Jane. Here's one I remember:

"I don't drink where I'm the only fuckin' one with balls."

Ellsworth :crying:

I cried so hard. And I was with Trixie that night, watching it on HBO, running with her across the street, up the stairs and ready to kill Hearst. But yes, he was a very intimidating, quietly understated evil and psychotic villain.

I bought MC all three seasons but one of them has been loaned out forever. I'm due for another rewatch even though I feel no satisfaction with how it ended.

I just got done re-watching the entire series for the first time since it originally aired, and although I remembered it being a great show, I had forgotten so much. It was so fucking good. Easily in my top 3 along with The Sopranos, and The Wire. Al is definitely one of the best characters in the history of television. McShane was brilliant in that part. One thing that stood out to me this to me this time was how funny Jane was. It was a crying shame that such a great show was canceled in its prime, but on my second viewing I was more satisfied with the finale, Al last line was perfect.

That final scene with Al and Hearst where Al is showing him the dead body of the blond that looked like Trixie. Al's hand on his knife with the unspoken agreement that if Hearst said anything Al would immediately kill him. So much spoke with barely a word said.

Goddamn it, now I have to rewatch it all. Though I guess it's easier to lessen the heartache when you're not anxiously waiting for a 4th season only to find out it's never going to happen.

One more thing, I think the opening scene with Bullock in Montana is my favorite first scene in a series I can think of. Just immediately got me hooked.

Yeah that was a strong scene. Remember wanting to replay it immediately before watching the rest of the pilot.

And as far as pilots go, Deadwood's is up there with the best. The awesomeness of the show didn't dawn on me until after Al starts beating Trixie and ordering Driscoll's murder but the bar crowd scene cinched it. I was completely agape at the prayer followed by "And pussy's half off next 15 minutes!!!"

Yeah he killed him because either A) No one fails Hurst, or B ) No one scams Hurst. It was also a lesson to Aunt Lu.

Basically Hurst is the worst.

I'd have to go re-watch a few episodes to tell you exactly what threads were left unresolved, altho some already have pointed out a few. The entire arc of the show was thrown off by the lack of a final season. This show was about the town's futile struggle for freedom from outside influence. I think the show was supposed to end with Al's death and Deadwood's capitulation to modern society. it is now little more than a tourist attraction. I was in Deadwood a few years ago. Won some money playing poker which was great fun, but the entire place just smelled of tourist trap.

Archived