Deadwood

The Monkey

It took me at least three(Maybe more) re-watches to fully get all the subtle subtext and interactions between characters due to the language... Now, some 25-30 times in, still pick up little shit that only enhance the whole experience.

On a side note, anyone watch this with subtitles and notice the shit they fuck up? Like Brom Garrett going to "Wreck and order the rim"? The wife-to-be is somewhat hard or hearing, so we usually have English subtitles on, and little things like that crack me up, but really confuse the Mrs until I explain what they meant (it's even worse on The Wire...)

It took me at least three(Maybe more) re-watches to fully get all the subtle subtext and interactions between characters due to the language... Now, some 25-30 times in, still pick up little shit that only enhance the whole experience.

On a side note, anyone watch this with subtitles and notice the shit they fuck up? Like Brom Garrett going to "Wreck and order the rim"? The wife-to-be is somewhat hard or hearing, so we usually have English subtitles on, and little things like that crack me up, but really confuse the Mrs until I explain what they meant (it's even worse on The Wire...)

I think "Wreck and order" was an intention fuck up. Just Brom being clueless.

Davis Simon calls watching the wire with subtitles cheating but it doesn't stop me. Deadwood and the wore need to viewed at least once on a rewatch with subs. Its eye opening how much is packed in and how much you miss.

Off topic Eddie from deadwood about being a slight of hand artist similar to the character in deadwood. Has anyone checked this movie out? Worth a viewing?

I think "Wreck and order" was an intention fuck up. Just Brom being clueless.

Eh, Brom may be clueless, but I don't think he's so stupid to not know the word 'reconnoiter', but maybe I'm just being charitable towards the poor guy.

Davis Simon calls watching the wire with subtitles cheating but it doesn't stop me. Deadwood and the wore need to viewed at least once on a rewatch with subs. Its eye opening how much is packed in and how much you miss.

Hah, John Doman said working on the Wire was the only English project he needed a glossary for.

Off topic Eddie from deadwood about being a slight of hand artist similar to the character in deadwood. Has anyone checked this movie out? Worth a viewing?

You mean a documentary on Ricky Jay? I never heard of it, but that sounds awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

I'm going to place ther order. If the series was so good, why was it cancelled?

Shitty ratings and an extremely expensive production (on the level of GoT or Rome iirc). It's hard to justify spending that much cheese with less than a million viewers per week.

Shitty ratings and an extremely expensive production (on the level of GoT or Rome iirc). It's hard to justify spending that much cheese with less than a million viewers per week.

That is a terrible shame. From what I've read, Deadwood is up there with the greats like The Wite, The Sopranos and Breaking Bad.

That is a terrible shame. From what I've read, Deadwood is up there with the greats like The Wite, The Sopranos and Breaking Bad.

If you like those 3 shows, I'd say there's a high likelihood you'll like Deadwood. It's popular in this forum. The dialogue may take some adjusting. It ended early but it's not an abrupt ending to the story. Most of the major plotlines were wrapped up with some minor stuff seemingly leading nowhere.

If you like those 3 shows, I'd say there's a high likelihood you'll like Deadwood. It's popular in this forum. The dialogue may take some adjusting. It ended early but it's not an abrupt ending to the story. Most of the major plotlines were wrapped up with some minor stuff seemingly leading nowhere.

I'm definately getting Deadwood. The Wire, The Sopranos and Breaking Bad are the greatest shows ever to air as far as i'm concerned. If Deadwood is in the same league then it's a no brainer.

A great story. After my first and only watch-thru I found myself wanting more. That being said, I knew thee finale was coming the entire time. Third season was most stellar.

Dialogue is fantastic, with the actors (most of them) absolutely killing it.

SWENGEN!!!!! >>>>>>>

I finished my rewatch about a week ago and I'm very surprised at how much better the show is the second time around. I mean, I loved it the first time, but it's so much easier to pick up on some of the nuances after another go around. Also, turning on subtitles is a must. Makes comprehending the dialogue so much easier.

So, this time around, I found that my opinion of season three improved dramatically. First time through, I thought it was the clear weakest but I liked it much more this time. I vaguely recall there being more needless faffing about during the season, but aside from the theater troupe story and some of Joanie and Jane, it was pretty tightly written. While I don't much care for the theater troupe or their story, Jack's interactions with Al make it all worthwhile.

Season two, on the other hand, was not as good as I recall. It feels a bit directionless at times, as if Milch knew where he wanted to go, but wasn't quite sure on how to get there. Still a good season but it just doesn't compare to the other two.

Season one is still far away my favorite. I really liked that there wasn't much of an overarching plot, just characters interacting in these little vignettes driven with its trademark fantastic dialogue.

Definitely turn the subtitles on the first time you watch it; it takes some getting used to, but within a few hours, I guarantee you'll notice a few... changes to your own speech patterns. It's a lot like The Wire in that respect.

While you're waiting on your delivery, here's the opening scene of the show:

The first two episodes of season 2 (I think they are called A Lie Agreed Upon)were some of the best of the series though.

I loved everything about season 2, including the portions with Al on the sidelines. The last two episodes (The Whores Can Come, The Boy the Earth Talked To) are easily my two favorite episodes of the entire series.

Not sure how much stake I put into it, but I've read (anonymous and unsourced) rumors that David Milch's admitted substance abuse problems played a role, too. Not directly (he was never accused of being high on set, or missing work), but that given his unique style (he would work with the actors directly and continually re-write the scripts himself just minutes before shooting), the HBO execs doubted his ability to continue to function while producing the fourth season.

Archived