Deadwood

The Monkey

I recently did my 2nd or 3rd rewatch, and this was the first time I impartially enjoyed the ending instead of being disappointed it didn't continue on. It really does close up the main stories that mattered most. I'm sure another season wouldn't have been terrible but it works nonetheless.

Historically, I think most of Deadwood burns in a massive fire so I don't know if that's the direction he was going to go in. Either way, it still ends on a solid note and doesn't lose its quality over the run.

Historically, I think most of Deadwood burns in a massive fire so I don't know if that's the direction he was going to go in. Either way, it still ends on a solid note and doesn't lose its quality over the run.

According to the DVD extras, yes, that was always how the series was meant to end.

The thematic problem is that it ends with Hearst's victory and the grinding down of the frontier, but it never gives closure on how the community established in Deadwood adapts to it.

Just finished rewatching Deadwood. Twice.

Season One Episode 12 "Sold Under Sin" may be the best television episode ever.

Season Three goes down hill quickly. As noted, so many characters are introduced, and nothing is done with them. Doc having Lung Problems, suddenly doesn't. I still am not clear on Hearst's reasons for killing Aunt Lou's son.

The only thing tied up is Hearst leaving Deadwood. (I have some old stock certificates for gold and copper mines in Montana.)

I agree with an earlier poster, Milch got tired of Deadwood, despite his pithy protestations in the extras disc.

Yeah that was definitely my favorite episode in all of Deadwood and one of the major reasons I consider Season 1 to be one of the best single seasons of television ever made. The way they wrapped everything up at the end was perfect and I absolutely love the closing scene with Al overlooking the bar. That piano song was stuck in my head for days.

Season One Episode 12 "Sold Under Sin" may be the best television episode ever...

<snip>

sorry to disagree but epi 10 "Mr. Wu" was the greatest ever with this scene topping the charts ...in this old asshole's opinion

Doc having Lung Problems, suddenly doesn't.

The lung problem thing was bizarrely hilarious. Al tells him to get over himself and then it's gone after a season of set up. It reminds me of this sketch

I still thoroughly enjoyed season 3 though despite all the extra characters. The acting troop were possibly the most unwelcome additions.

I tend to agree that Milch lost interest in the show though. Maybe during the time they were fighting for renewal or a miniseries to complete the show but it does seem like in the end that's why it never returned.

I can't recall where I read this, but I seem to remember an interview, post-cancellation, where Milch described what he had envisioned for the final scene: The town has burned down, and much like the historical figure Al was based on, the character can be seen setting up a small tent to sell shots of whiskey in the wreckage of the Gem.

Anyone remember this, or am I just confused? Probably the latter...

Anyway, great video, Rockroi. Now I'm all nostalgic and shit. Maybe I'll get started on my fourth (or fifth; can't remember that, either) re-watch.

I can't recall where I read this, but I seem to remember an interview, post-cancellation, where Milch described what he had envisioned for the final scene: The town has burned down, and much like the historical figure Al was based on, the character can be seen setting up a small tent to sell shots of whiskey in the wreckage of the Gem.

Damn, that would have been a cool ending.

• 3 weeks later...

having just watched parts of a Deadwood marathon a couple of weeks ago i am highly pissed that i can watch many other hbo series on demand but no Deadwood....fuckin cocksuckers........i am stuck stymied outside a saloon beside a degenerate tit-licker with no Deadwood available...... :smoking:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived