Deadwood

The Monkey

I think that Deadwood is the "trendy" show to mention as "one of the best shows ever" merely because it never achieved wide-ranged recognition, acclaim or popularity. And it left us way way way too soon.

Its sort of having a conversation about "all time great comedians" and people start nodding and say "George Carlin was a genius" and people nod; then somebody else says "For longevity, Bill Cosby was amazing" and people nod; then another says "Richard Pryor was the greatest" and more people nod. An dthen the names start flying around - Roseann, Don Rickles, Gerry Seinfeld, Bob Newhart" And then somebody say s"Louis CK" and people nod, but other people groan because "He's gotta do more" and then it devolves - people say "Woody Allen" and that starts TWO different debates- does he count as a stand up comedian and if we want to discuss outsdie controversy. And thenames are flying back and forth.

And then... in the shadows, a guy flicks a cigarette, purposely missing his ashtray. Ad he puts on his sun-glasses even though its dark inside. And he says "Bill Hicks is the Greatest Comedian who ever lived."

And nobody says a word.

Deadwood is the Bill Hicks of TV shows.

I think that Deadwood is the "trendy" show to mention as "one of the best shows ever" merely because it never achieved wide-ranged recognition, acclaim or popularity. And it left us way way way too soon.

Its sort of having a conversation about "all time great comedians" and people start nodding and say "George Carlin was a genius" and people nod; then somebody else says "For longevity, Bill Cosby was amazing" and people nod; then another says "Richard Pryor was the greatest" and more people nod. An dthen the names start flying around - Roseann, Don Rickles, Gerry Seinfeld, Bob Newhart" And then somebody say s"Louis CK" and people nod, but other people groan because "He's gotta do more" and then it devolves - people say "Woody Allen" and that starts TWO different debates- does he count as a stand up comedian and if we want to discuss outsdie controversy. And thenames are flying back and forth.

And then... in the shadows, a guy flicks a cigarette, purposely missing his ashtray. Ad he puts on his sun-glasses even though its dark inside. And he says "Bill Hicks is the Greatest Comedian who ever lived."

And nobody says a word.

Nope, not really man. I haven't seen Deadwood yet, but planning to. I've seen a lot of other Hbo shows though. But Deadwood is a show that is very revered and well-known, at least in communities like this. Maybe not the average tv-wacther on the street will know about it, but among serious tv viewers, Deadwood is definitely not a hipster choice, or whatever you want to claim it is.

Nope, not really man. I haven't seen Deadwood yet, but planning to. I've seen a lot of other Hbo shows though. But Deadwood is a show that is very revered and well-known, at least in communities like this. Maybe not the average tv-wacther on the street will know about it, but among serious tv viewers, Deadwood is definitely not a hipster choice, or whatever you want to claim it is.

But my point was that Deadwood is nit unknown or just known in some very small circles; much like people know who Bill Hicks was, he is not the first comedian who comes to mind. There are plenty of others who come to mind. But as soon as somebody says "Bill Hicks" much in the same way they say "Deadwood"; the idea being that both were exceptionally good for what they were and both left far far far too soon. I'm not saying that only "hipsters" (I never used that phrase, on purpose) watch it, but its sort of the counter-answer to many of the other names you hear.

That's why I don't think its "overrated"; because its primarily the show we think of that never had the chance to break bad (haha).

Yes! I like this!

Deadwood was something new and fresh and it was very good. Another thing I think lends to how positively it seems to be thought of is the fact that it was never resolved. So, it has a bit of that whole "what might have been?" thing going for it as well.

I still think Deadwood followed by The Sopranos on Sunday night HBO may have been the best two hours of television ever :)

But my point was that Deadwood is nit unknown or just known in some very small circles; much like people know who Bill Hicks was, he is not the first comedian who comes to mind. There are plenty of others who come to mind. But as soon as somebody says "Bill Hicks" much in the same way they say "Deadwood"; the idea being that both were exceptionally good for what they were and both left far far far too soon. I'm not saying that only "hipsters" (I never used that phrase, on purpose) watch it, but its sort of the counter-answer to many of the other names you hear.

That's why I don't think its "overrated"; because its primarily the show we think of that never had the chance to break bad (haha).

Ok, I misunderstood it a bit then. I thought your point was how only hipsters or peoole in certain circles say they like Deadwood. Makes more sense now :p

And nobody says a word.

Haha yeah that's precisely the impression I got when reading information and comments about the show before I watched it. The hidden gem that did not get to finish its course and become a truly great show.

Archived