Deadwood

The Monkey

I wouldn't have put him in the top ten Deadwood characters. That's what I don't get. I don't get the appeal.

EB is hilarious. He's a selfish, unattractive, venal, greedy, vain, envious, insecure, unfaithful coward - and he knows it, and freely admits it, which is the source of much of the comedy. His dialogue is really well written, and he plays off the other characters beautifully. I can definitely believe it was a pleasure to write him.

EB is hilarious. He's a selfish, unattractive, venal, greedy, vain, envious, insecure, unfaithful coward - and he knows it, and freely admits it, which is the source of much of the comedy. His dialogue is really well written, and he plays off the other characters beautifully. I can definitely believe it was a pleasure to write him.

The bold bit can pretty much be said of every character on the show. Its Deadwood.

The bold bit can pretty much be said of every character on the show. Its Deadwood.

Just because you personally don't see the appeal doesn't mean that other people don't. My original post regarding EB was in response to a poster that said they could watch an EB/Richardson spinoff because they find them so funny. I personally always really enjoyed EB. He was such a little weasel. I watched that part of that special feature where Milch said that again, and he talked about how EB (the real EB) was like a cockroach. Throughout all the different changes to the camp over the years EB Farnum was a constant survivor. He not only survived, but he flourished.

The scene when Al puts the reverend out of his misery while the doc is praying for that exact thig to happen is one of the best scenes in anything ever lol

Probably amongst my favorite scenes.

I always had a soft spot for jewel.

I thought she was great. And I remember thinking "Geebus, am I getting choked up about Jewel's history while watching Al get blown??!!" :rofl:

I might have to re watch soon. I've only watched once and know I've missed a lot of gems.

Currently re-watching season 1, just finished episode 10 "Mr. Wu", that episode is so fucking good!

I rewatched the series last year and I went into it with a sort of, "well let's just take this walk down memory road. I know what happens so it won't be as good."

I was so wrong. By the end of that first season I was right back on the edge of my seat, as fully enthralled as the first time I watched it. No other television show but Deadwood has been able to make me feel like I'm watching it for the first time on a re-watch.

• 2 months later...

So finally finished the series. I saw the first two seasons when they first aired but not the third so I just did an entire rewatch. The third season was unbelievable, I didn't want it to end so I put off watching the last two episodes for a few days. George Hearst was like a fucking tornado, he had everyone going nuts(and united) and it was awesome. I wanted him to die so badly but, of course, knew he wasn't going to. Then he had Ellsworth killed, that fucking sociopath went too far. The actor who played Hearst was so good, along with the whole cast obviously.

So sad, another great series down.

• 4 months later...

I rewatched the series last year and I went into it with a sort of, "well let's just take this walk down memory road.  I know what happens so it won't be as good."

I was so wrong.  By the end of that first season I was right back on the edge of my seat, as fully enthralled as the first time I watched it.  No other television show but Deadwood has been able to make me feel like I'm watching it for the first time on a re-watch.  

Fuck, it took at least three complete re-watches to even grasp the subtleties of character motivation-- or truly understand more than half of the dialogue. I will never get sick of watching this show

Archived