Deadwood

The Monkey

Please, HBO, do this!

And give us the Rome movie too. kthxbi

ETA: Love this quote from the comments in the linked article:

"Tell those HBO clocksuckers they will be resurrected from the ass of a pig if they don't quit dragging that leg!!"

:lol:

Has a show ever turned the phrase "cocksucker" into such an endearing term?

I'm so excited about this. A couple of months ago I got my dad to watch this despite it not having a proper ending. So we are both really hopeful.

I recall Ian McShane had declared the series dead awhile back because they had torn down the settings. I would guess that the movie starts back up after the real life fire that leveled Deadwood so they can use new buildings, props, etc.

UPDATE: Here's a comment from HBO: "In reference to Garret Dillahunt’s tweet regarding the rumored 'Deadwood' movie, there have only been very preliminary conversations."

http://www.hitfix.com/the-dartboard/is-the-deadwood-movie-finally-happening-one-star-hears-credible-rumors#7BoauZokcoWrBAJx.99

At least it's not a flat denial. 

I recall Ian McShane had declared the series dead awhile back because they had torn down the settings. I would guess that the movie starts back up after the real life fire that leveled Deadwood so they can use new buildings, props, etc.

Yeah.. I wonder how they would envision this working with 10 years having passed.

That said, this is just too good to be true. It's criminal to play with my emotions this way.

Coincidently, I just started watching the show for the first time a few days ago. I think I'm 7 episodes in. Good, good stuff. Great, even. Rather regret not having seen this earlier. My only real issue is that even though its a smaller cast than Game of Thrones, it has an even bigger issue with giving too much screen time to characters I don't care about (e.g. Calamity Jane) and not enough time to characters that seem really interesting (e.g. Ellsworth).

Also, I can't quite figure out what Bullock is so damn mad all the time. Its not necessarily an issue, its just that I can't quite figure out what his motivations are. Considering he's one of the main leads, its a little strange that he's such a cipher.

McShane is great as Swearengen, I've heard him talked up so much and he really is delivering. I have noticed though that it seems like he underwent a slight character shift around episode 3, going from pure villain to being a bit softer (less killings, less beatings, etc). He's still great, but its a little bit of a shame that he's still got the bark but the bite isn't quite the same. For instance, I feel like the Swearengen from episode 1 or 2 would've absolutely killed Trixie for lying about doping the widow.

Coincidently, I just started watching the show for the first time a few days ago. I think I'm 7 episodes in. Good, good stuff. Great, even. Rather regret not having seen this earlier. My only real issue is that even though its a smaller cast than Game of Thrones, it has an even bigger issue with giving too much screen time to characters I don't care about (e.g. Calamity Jane) and not enough time to characters that seem really interesting (e.g. Ellsworth).

This gets worse, I'm afraid. New characters get introduced and the series gives them huge amounts of screen time, while others from Season 1 basically drop into the background completely. It's one of the flaws of the series, for me: it's as if the writers lose interest in the older characters in favour of the shiny new ones.

McShane is great as Swearengen, I've heard him talked up so much and he really is delivering. I have noticed though that it seems like he underwent a slight character shift around episode 3, going from pure villain to being a bit softer (less killings, less beatings, etc). He's still great, but its a little bit of a shame that he's still got the bark but the bite isn't quite the same. For instance, I feel like the Swearengen from episode 1 or 2 would've absolutely killed Trixie for lying about doping the widow.

On a rewatch I was surprised how early this switch comes in. It's shocking how little time they spend establishing Al as a bad guy before starting to soften him. Really, it's almost immediate. (And as I've said earlier, TV-Al is about a hundred times smarter and more sympathetic than the real-life Al.)

I am not sure how I feel about the movie development.

Had it been done sooner a la Firefly/Serenity it would have been fine, but too much time has passed now.

About once a year I pull out the DVDs to settle in for the glorious portrayal of Swigin Cocksucker, the fascinating character arc of Trixie the Whore, the colour of Fucken Wu and train wreck of Jane Cannery. 

Yes, Season 3 struggled and was several rungs lower in standard, but it was what it was but I just can't see how I can get on board with a shorter form of Deadwood that a movie would bring to the table.

• 2 months later...

Well, yeah. There was that tweet from Dillahunt a while back, and then all of a sudden the Deadwood thread had action, I had a glimmer of hope.

I was joining you in the misery of dashed hopes, not being sarcastic. Sorry. Should've elaborated. :)

Now back to being pissed there still isn't any movement on a Deadwood feature....

I was joining you in the misery of dashed hopes, not being sarcastic. Sorry. Should've elaborated. :)

Now back to being pissed there still isn't any movement on a Deadwood feature....

Yeah, I'm going to assume this will never happen. It will be a nice suprise if it does though. 

• 1 month later...

Archived